• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to St Maarten, first time... have questions

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We just hit the button on an AC exchange to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort for this November. This has been on my “list” for awhile. Has anyone been there recently, since Hurricane Irma hit in 2017? The AC lists ongoing construction and renovation may be ongoing, but TripAdvisor’s most recent comments are quite good, and don’t mention construction noise. We are going anyway, just want to know what we are headed into.

We have stayed and driven in both Cayman and Aruba, and are fond of both islands. Is St Maarten similar? We will be diving, snorkeling, soaking up the heat and sunshine, and shopping for Christmas.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi dmbrand,

Here are a few pictures of the renovations at Divi Little Bay in St Maarten:

644B40E4-10DA-451D-8718-08BAA8BE4838.png

2748A406-ACEA-464D-BF88-FF3BCBF63206.jpeg

FE80B726-469D-47DC-B451-A4B1B2679A1B.png

4F5C1BEE-B869-4BF1-9ADD-822625A5959C.jpeg
26A98035-2B99-4464-A837-0D1A31CBFF7B.jpeg

Studio Unit

DABCECD5-83A5-4857-BA16-686E8E03E759.jpeg

75342CEF-42F3-4923-9735-65384A793275.jpeg

13FC7672-F44B-4B34-895E-4CC20DDAB0F1.jpeg

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Yes to the infinity pool! We have a studio...looks like plenty of space. Thanks for the pics.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We were at Divi last February and resort was in wonderful condition. The Pure Ocean pool was a renovation and expansion of an older pool area and it's lovely. View from the infinity pool is nice too.

Driving around the island is very doable. Roads are all two lane and traffic can be slow in some areas, but drivers are usually willing to yield if you need to merge into stopped traffic, etc. Worst issue is the crazy motorcycle/scooter drivers who like to drive between lanes, pass when there's oncoming traffic, do wheelies at 40 mph, and generally drive like they have a death wish. The French side police have recently started to try to crack down on them, according to a local bulletin board I follow, but you really have to watch out for them.

SXM is greener and more hilly than the other two. Wonderful restaurants around the island, with some amazing French restaurants on the French side, especially in Grand Case, although the drive at night can be a little challenging.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
In April we stayed at the Belair beach club next door and had an awesome time. The island seemed to be in good shape, everyone was friendly and we felt very safe even with young kids. We love Aruba (and are heading there in November) but SXM feels a little more "Carribean" and a little less "American" than Aruba.

We liked it so much and were so impressed with the Divi that we are headed to the divi this spring. The snorkeling around the divi was awesome. Especially if the cruise ships aren't in and you head out to the snorkel park.

For what its worth make sure you try and market and the restaurant at the Belair beach club (3 minute walk from the Divi). I thought both were much, much better than the Divi's offerings but the rooms at the divi are significantly nicer.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We love Aruba (and are heading there in November) but SXM feels a little more "Carribean" and a little less "American" than Aruba.

This is a great way to express the difference between the two islands. We enjoyed Aruba, but love the feeling on St. Maarten. We've been to Aruba once...and I think this year will be our 17th trip to SXM.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Thanks for the input. I just checked the list of cruises expected the week we are there...no less than 12 cruise ships! I think that is impacting my ability to find decent flights. We only have 1-2 flights that will get us to and from SXM in less than 20+ hours. Pricey; glad this is a bonus week.

I just read that there are hiking trails on the island. Anyone here have any favorites?

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the input. I just checked the list of cruises expected the week we are there...no less than 12 cruise ships! I think that is impacting my ability to find decent flights. We only have 1-2 flights that will get us to and from SXM in less than 20+ hours. Pricey; glad this is a bonus week.

I think flights to the island are still down in number because not all the timeshare properties have reopened yet. There just isn't the high demand that there was prior to Irma. Also November isn't quite prime time yet. None of the big cruises start in SXM so there is almost no impact on flights when they stop at the island for a day.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read that there are hiking trails on the island. Anyone here have any favorites?

We spent 2 weeks at Belair a few years ago - beautiful bay and IMO the most perfect on the island, you will love it. Usually we do like to hike, but the only ones I recall doing: the short little "hike" right out of Divi up to the ruined fort at the top of the hill, easy-peasy and gorgeous views. Also we went over to nearby Pinel Island and walked around it, and that was lovely as well. Our stay coincided with Carnival so maybe that's why we didn't get to hike/walk as much as usual, we stayed pretty busy otherwise the whole time. I don't think we ever hung out at the resort all day, but started and ended each day with some beach time.