• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to NYC --- Things to do Cheaply

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm Headed to NYC at the end of June for a business trip. I will be staying one extra day to see the sights, can anyone give me some links to shows or things that can be done cheaply in NYC.

I'm flying into Newark Airport as my company felt that would be a cost save (more of a pain in the ass for me) Can anyone tell me the best way to get into NYC, near Grand Central Station (44th Street).

I'm really looking forward to this trip as I really love NYC...

thanks for any help and assistance...

ibcnu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
You can take the AirTrain https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html from Newark Airport that links to NJ Transit, then board a train there to Penn Station in New York City. That's probably the most easiest way into the city from Newark Airport. Other options are buses, taxis, etc. which may cost you even more.

It is easier and quicker to travel into and out of Newark Airport if staying in Manhattan, believe it or not.

Cheap theater tickets are located at the TKTS booths, one is right in Times Square.

You could also schedule a trip to the Statute of Liberty from Battery Park. It's less than a $20 ticket to take the ferry over and climb up the pedestal.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you'll have just the one day, I'm not suggesting you buy the City Pass, but it will give you a good idea of the most popular sites to see. My recommendations would be Top of the Rock, Ellis Island, Circle Line Cruise past Statue of Liberty, Intrepid, but it really depends on what you like. There's also an NBC Studios tour in Rockefeller Center which we enjoyed. The individual cost for all of these averages right around $30. Highly recommend dinner in Little Italy!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Port Authority runs a bus from Newark Airport directly to Grand Central Station (with a couple of stops in between). It runs frequently and is cheap ($9 for seniors; about double that for others).

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
If the weather is nice, I would suggest walking the High Line, maybe having a cheap lunch at Chelsea Market.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You can try for Rush tickets, these are even cheaper than TKTS tickets. You do have to get up early and get in line at the theater, how early will depend on how long the show has been around. General Rush is what you want to opt for, as Lottery rush has no guarantee you will get tickets. You are getting a discounted ticket for the shows for that SAME DAY only.

Here is the rush list....
http://www.nytix.com/Links/Broadway/lotteryschedule.html

Here is the TKTS link....
https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths In Times Square to get tickets. They also have an app for your phone. These are for SAME DAY tickets sales too. But if you want a Matinee show you can buy these on Tuesday from the South Street Seaport location. Brooklyn and the Lincoln Center locations has this next day Matinee feature too.

Another interesting thing to do is walk the Brooklyn Bridge. You can also take the Staten Island ferry and go by the Statue of Liberty. As someone mentioned above, I would strongly recommend the Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. But there is also the new observation Deck at new World Trade Center Freedom Tower, but I have not yet been up there. It is good to see the 9/11 memorial. I would time it to go an hour before sunset. That way you can see it in both daylight and night. It is interesting to see it both ways.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the weather is nice, I would suggest walking the High Line, maybe having a cheap lunch at Chelsea Market.

I second that.

Also, if you're interested in art, there's a new branch of the Whitney Museum of American Art in that same neighborhood, open every day except Tuesday.
99 Gansevoort Street
New York, NY 10014
XTEyZQjSsaaT8GgChb6v_map.jpg

"General Admission tickets ... may be purchased online until midnight the night before your visit and are discounted ($22 adults; $17 seniors and students). There are no additional fees. You may arrive up to thirty minutes after the time you select, and stay as long as you like." Also, if you go Friday after 7pm admission is pay what you wish.
http://whitney.org/Exhibitions

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can take the AirTrain https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html from Newark Airport that links to NJ Transit, then board a train there to Penn Station in New York City. That's probably the most easiest way into the city from Newark Airport. Other options are buses, taxis, etc. which may cost you even more.

It is easier and quicker to travel into and out of Newark Airport if staying in Manhattan, believe it or not.

Cheap theater tickets are located at the TKTS booths, one is right in Times Square.

You could also schedule a trip to the Statute of Liberty from Battery Park. It's less than a $20 ticket to take the ferry over and climb up the pedestal.
Thank you for that info... Do you thhink the Air Tran will be manageable with a rolling luggage and my computer bag?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can try for Rush tickets, these are even cheaper than TKTS tickets. You do have to get up early and get in line at the theater, how early will depend on how long the show has been around. General Rush is what you want to opt for, as Lottery rush has no guarantee you will get tickets. You are getting a discounted ticket for the shows for that SAME DAY only.

Here is the rush list....
http://www.nytix.com/Links/Broadway/lotteryschedule.html

Here is the TKTS link....
https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths In Times Square to get tickets. They also have an app for your phone. These are for SAME DAY tickets sales too. But if you want a Matinee show you can buy these on Tuesday from the South Street Seaport location. Brooklyn and the Lincoln Center locations has this next day Matinee feature too.

Another interesting thing to do is walk the Brooklyn Bridge. You can also take the Staten Island ferry and go by the Statue of Liberty. As someone mentioned above, I would strongly recommend the Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. But there is also the new observation Deck at new World Trade Center Freedom Tower, but I have not yet been up there. It is good to see the 9/11 memorial. I would time it to go an hour before sunset. That way you can see it in both daylight and night. It is interesting to see it both ways.
Thank you for the links for the tickets... I'm going to have to try that...

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
... things that can be done cheaply in NYC....
I'm a big fan of budget travel -- opting for quantity & variety over luxury -- and try to visit NYC every 2-3 years if not annually. Second the suggestions for AirTrain, Rush/TKTS, HighLine, Chelsea Market, Little Italy eats, etc. In addition, check out these links:
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/cheap-new-york-bargain-events-and-things-to-do-in-nyc
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/
and when you get hungry there's street food, cheap restaurants by Hells Kitchen, takeouts at Chinatown...
Just bite into the Big Apple!

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Airtrain and NJ Transit are fine with one piece of luggage and a computer bag. There are places for luggage on the Airtrain and luggage racks in the overhead compartment on NJ Transit. The bus option is only good on weekends. Otherwise, way too much traffic. Also, you can check luggage at Penn Station so you don't have to lug it around all day.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I take the NJTransit train in to Grand Central ... parking the car at Princeton Junction train station parking lot ... buy your parking ticket from the meter and place inside the car on the dash. 1 wheeled bag is fine and off I go. Either I walk or take a cab. ... just depends on the time I have.

ibcnu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I take the NJTransit train in to Grand Central ... parking the car at Princeton Junction train station parking lot ... buy your parking ticket from the meter and place inside the car on the dash. 1 wheeled bag is fine and off I go. Either I walk or take a cab. ... just depends on the time I have.

The Princeton Junction station is on the NJ Transit, Northeast Corridor line and goes into Penn Station in NYC, not Grand Central Station in NYC.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We always look up free walking tours when we visit a walkable city, and have had wonderful tours in New York and San Francisco. You tip the guide at the end of the tour. Just be sure to show up if you make a reservation -- we got lost in NYC having finished one tour, stopped for lunch before the next tour and managed to get ourselves turned around so we missed second tour. That resulted in instant cancellation of the next day's tour. But that guide had already contacted us so we were able to tell him the office blacklisted us and he said no problem just show up. Depending on where the tour goes they can't gave 50 people blocking a sidewalk or cramming into a deli, so they do limit the number of sign ups and reservations are needed.