• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii's Beaches Are Disappearing

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I know there have been other posts to this effect in the past, but this one published by Pro Publica is enlightening and quite well done. Essentially the efforts of property owners to construct seawalls is causing ocean tides to carry the beach sand out into the ocean. The effects are pretty dramatic, as illustrated in this article.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I know there have been other posts to this effect in the past, but this one published by Pro Publica is enlightening and quite well done. Essentially the efforts of property owners to construct seawalls is causing ocean tides to carry the beach sand out into the ocean. The effects are pretty dramatic, as illustrated in this article.

The article does demonstrate the effects of seawalls on the beaches. Looking at the big picture the need for the sea walls as well as the ultimate cause of the beach sand loss is that Global Warming has made the seas rise. The World needs to get Global Warming under control to prevent further loss of beaches and damage to ocean front property as well as other negative environment consequences.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The World needs to get Global Warming under control to prevent further loss of beaches and damage to ocean front property as well as other negative environment consequences.

Laudable goal but actions (or lact thereof) of China, India and 3rd World Countries will negate most of what the rest of us do...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Need to get rid of all seawalls that simple attempt to protect residences and let nature take its course.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Laudable goal but actions (or lact thereof) of China, India and 3rd World Countries will negate most of what the rest of us do...

George

The developing countries are certainly going to increase their use of natural resources and their contribution to air pollution which will negate somewhat what the developed countries do reduce consumption and pollution. I don't think the world should give up, It needs to work toward attainable goals to prevent many of the negative results.

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
Developing countries co2 is rising so fasts its 2-5x the reduction of western countries. The US and Europe per capita co2 has been dropping for 3 decades. Ironically, the US is the only country to hit Kyoto accord goals despite not signing on. The Paris accords own data shows if the US literally stopped existing (0 co2) it would lower temperatures by less than 1 degree and if all signature countries hit their targets it would only lower temps by .22 degrees.

Without China, India, Brazil and others being required in these international agreements to at least stop co2 growth, all of these agreements are a joke - especially with free trade - where US and European countries manufacture goods in China or India with no co2 limits and import them for basically free into US/UK/Germany/etc.Tariffs are the best thing for co2 reductions if that is your goal.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Developing countries co2 is rising so fasts its 2-5x the reduction of western countries. The US and Europe per capita co2 has been dropping for 3 decades. Ironically, the US is the only country to hit Kyoto accord goals despite not signing on. The Paris accords own data shows if the US literally stopped existing (0 co2) it would lower temperatures by less than 1 degree and if all signature countries hit their targets it would only lower temps by .22 degrees.

Without China, India, Brazil and others being required in these international agreements to at least stop co2 growth, all of these agreements are a joke - especially with free trade - where US and European countries manufacture goods in China or India with no co2 limits and import them for basically free into US/UK/Germany/etc.Tariffs are the best thing for co2 reductions if that is your goal.

China, India, Brazil and the other underdeveloped countries are in various development stages and while possible it is very difficult for them to stop CO2 growth while developing. While using more Electricity doesn't create CO2 growth the genteration of electricity can. The US is trying to convert to renewable(solar, wind, geothermal etc) sources of electricity but with over 330 million people using it it will be quite a challenge to provide enough electricity without discharging CO2. With 4 times the populations China and India will have a much greater challenge to generate enough for their countries while inceasingly becoming more developed.

There are many steps that can be taken to reduce CO2 reductions. One that I advocated back in the 70's during the first Arab Oil Crisis which was implemented in Europe and would have the US in a different place right now was an increasing gasoline tax. Back then gasoline was $4.00 a gallon due to the Arabs servely increasing the oil we were dependent on. There was a major push to develop and buy fuel efficient cars since gasoline was so expensive. We lost that initiative when the crisis was over and gasoline went back to $1.00 a gallon. Now 50 years later gasoline is $2.00 a gallon and a bargain so why buy an electric or fuel efficient car?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I recall two years ago, last time I was in Maui, that there were plans for a major multi-year project to restore the beach in Kaanapali. I thought it was supposed to have begun by now. Not sure the status of that, whether COVID impacted it, etc.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read a seawall was approved in Eastern Oahu, the property belongs to Marty Nesbitt.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new. I remember this being done when I was a kid. In about 1945 Ocean City, NJ spent many dollars to restore their beach. My recollection is they pumped in tons of sand and built a large number of jetties which extended way out into the ocean...

George