• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian Timeshare Exchange policy on Covid-19 cancellations

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They will give my weeks back, but not my exchange fees. I had two weeks for early July on Maui.

Not happy. No credit at all for the exchange fee.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We have an RCI exchange on the BI in July that we’re going to cancel due to COVID-19 and other issues, but we haven’t done it yet. I’m waiting for Governor Ige to announce the new extension of the 14-day quarantine in hopes that it will extend far enough into July for us to get our exchange fee back. When we made the exchange, we paid to get our TPUs back, but with the resort posted to reopen July 5, RCI is currently crediting exchange fees only for reservations through June 30.

Maybe HTE will give fees back if the quarantine is extended into the time of your two weeks?

ETA I should have checked the Hawaii board before posting here. Then I would’ve known that yesterday the governor did extend the 14 day quarantine to July 31. I’m going to give RCI some time to process that and then check with them about canceling our exchange in hopes of getting our exchange fee credited. Maybe HTE will do the same for you now.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Same for SFX - no credit. I had paid for some type of week "protection" (maybe $50ish or so) so I thought that I could essentially make a free change but when I called it seems that I bought something that allowed me to make a change but that I would still have to pay an additional exchange fee. (Of course). They will allow a no-fee exchange if it is Covid-19 related, but until Hawaii makes a decision past July 31, I can't do anything yet. I don't mind SFX and have used them successfully to get exchanges into the Hawaii HGVC properties, but the downside of the smaller exchange companies is the fact that they are quite limited with inventory, so when something goes wrong there are not a lot of options. I am down to two deposits at this point including the Hawaii one which will most likely get cancelled, but when those are gone, I'm going to keep everything in II and GPX to simplify my life.

I'm sorry to hear about this Cindy. It sure rubs salt in the wound.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have an RCI exchange on the BI in July that we’re going to cancel due to COVID-19 and other issues, but we haven’t done it yet. I’m waiting for Governor Ige to announce the new extension of the 14-day quarantine in hopes that it will extend far enough into July for us to get our exchange fee back.
Do you mean a refund? Or just that you will be able to use the exchange fee again? When I cancelled a week we had reserved for my sister and bil in April I got a credit that I could use to re-book. When/if you do cancel, either call or use the link on their website for COVID 19. Don't just go in and cancel as the exchange fee will not be credited. I found that out the hard way. I was able to get it fixed by calling, but if I'd just read the directions I would have been a lot better off. :D

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Do you mean a refund? Or just that you will be able to use the exchange fee again? When I cancelled a week we had reserved for my sister and bil in April I got a credit that I could use to re-book. When/if you do cancel, either call or use the link on their website for COVID 19. Don't just go in and cancel as the exchange fee will not be credited. I found that out the hard way. I was able to get it fixed by calling, but if I'd just read the directions I would have been a lot better off. :D
Sorry, yes, I mean we’ll get a credit and will have to call to rebook. I’ve been following the RCI site closely and will give them a couple days to catch up and extend the eligibility dates for our resort before I call. Now to get ready to fight with Hawaiian Air for refunds on our interisland flights! We’re not planning to return until December 2021.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There is not much on RCI for me to use my many exchange fee credits. I am just so disappointed to not be able to get anything similar to what I had. I had 3 weeks at Shearwater, June weeks, and I had two Disney's Saratoga Springs for May. all of them gone, nothing great forthcoming for any of those weeks. I hope they really didn't expire my exchange fees on 6/30. I see no expiration date on them. In RCI Points, I don't even see exchange credits listed in my RCI Points account.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may use RCI's "chat" to ask when the exchange fee credit must be used. I cancelled DVC on 3/27 and the credit was good until 9/30.

Last edited:

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
i just cancelled my Hawaii week with II this evening, I got a replacement certificate but not my exchange fees. I will have to pay exchange fees again when I book the certificate