• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian Airlines OGG-LAX A330 Row 11 Seats, H&J

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sat in these seats? Conflicting information on seat recline. I had a reservation agent tell me they don't recline. Seatguru says they recline.
I had a text conversation with HA, and was told all seats on this aircraft recline. I saw one picture showing a wall directly behind these seats, and found another
which showed empty space! Hopefully, someone can chime in here as I am paying more for these extra comfort seats but want to make sure they recline.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Are there different versions of this aircraft? That may account for the conflicting information.

Dave

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
First section behind first class contains just 2 rows of seats that are designated by Hawaiian Airlines as economy comfort seats. Passengers of the seats 11CDEG will take advantage of additional space for their legs and of extra seat pitch. At the same time the width of these seats is reduced a little because the tray tables are in the armrests and have no floor storage during take-off and landing.

The other seats of the 11th row, i.e. the seats 11AB and 11HJ have extra pitch and legroom as well. In addition passengers of these seats will have a quieter flight because this section contains just 2 rows of seats providing privacy to passengers of these seats and these passengers will be served among first.

The private cabin was wonderful and upon landing, we were the first off the plane as they held everyone behind Row 12 back until first class and rows 11 and 12 deplaned. I highly recommend this private cabin on HA A330

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lynne. Glad to have first hand confirmation that these seats are a good choice and do recline.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly those would recline. They are designated extra comfort seats. They are good seats.

maui-or-bust

Reaction score
My wife and I have sat is 11A,B for the last 20 trips on HA33. A reclines all the way B about 50% of that as it has some equipment behind the seat back on the bulkhead. Not so sure about 11 H,J.
1660773286015.png

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Has anyone ever sat in these seats? Conflicting information on seat recline. I had a reservation agent tell me they don't recline. Seatguru says they recline.
I had a text conversation with HA, and was told all seats on this aircraft recline. I saw one picture showing a wall directly behind these seats, and found another
which showed empty space! Hopefully, someone can chime in here as I am paying more for these extra comfort seats but want to make sure they recline.
My understanding is that the only seats that do not recline are those immediately in front of an emergency exit row, because the reclined seat would make the pathway to the exit narrower.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I don't recline my seats at all because I don't like that position. I like sitting straight up, but then again, I never sleep on planes. I just cannot fall asleep on planes.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't recline my seats at all because I don't like that position. I like sitting straight up, but then again, I never sleep on planes. I just cannot fall asleep on planes.

I'm in the same boat. I can't sleep on planes either.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I'm in the same boat. I can't sleep on planes either.
This is off topic, but I can’t sleep on planes either. The closest I came was flying Business class transatlantic on Lufthansa’s A380, in a lie-flat seat. I think I dozed pretty well for about 2 hours. While DH snored away for much longer.

That’s why I’ve decided that the next time we visit Hawaii, we’ll stop off for a couple of days in California on the way home!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I can sleep in cars, but not well on planes when upright. I did manage to sleep when my daughter and I flew to Switzerland on United's Polaris Class with the layflat seats and private pods.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This is off topic, but I can’t sleep on planes either. The closest I came was flying Business class transatlantic on Lufthansa’s A380, in a lie-flat seat. I think I dozed pretty well for about 2 hours. While DH snored away for much longer.

That’s why I’ve decided that the next time we visit Hawaii, we’ll stop off for a couple of days in California on the way home!

I never had the lie-flat seat. That may help. I have cane close a few times and slept intermittent but my wife sleeps like a rock. :D

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sleeping upright is a no-go for me, but first or business lie flat with my CPAP, and I'm out like a light. It's the apnea that keeps me from sleeping sitting upright.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I never had the lie-flat seat. That may help. I have cane close a few times and slept intermittent but my wife sleeps like a rock. :D
Once you've had a lie-flat pod, you won't want to go back. I can't sleep if sitting up; but I'm out pretty quick with a business class pod.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Once you've had a lie-flat pod, you won't want to go back. I can't sleep if sitting up; but I'm out pretty quick with a business class pod.
Steve and I upgraded to United Polaris class on our return trip from Maui in April of this year. After that Steve decided we would always fly first class to and from Hawaii. :LOL:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It's all a mater of your personal priority. Paying $1-2K extra per person for a single night's sleep just isn't my priority. If I could get those via a cheap points upgrade, maybe, but I personally would get much more enjoyment from other things / experiences with that money. We are all different.

Kurt

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's all a mater of your personal priority. Paying $1-2K extra per person for a single night's sleep just isn't my priority. If I could get those via a cheap points upgrade, maybe, but I personally would get much more enjoyment from other things / experiences with that money. We are all different.

Kurt

I was going to say I'm to cheap to pay that much extra for that but you worded it much better. :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I was going to say I'm to cheap to pay that much extra for that but you worded it much better. :D
For many years we were too cheap to pay extra either. If we got upgraded for free, great. The most we would do was pay for Economy Plus. But as we've gotten older our creature comfort has gotten more important. We don't take many trips where we can upgrade to first class (or where it makes sense to). So now when we have the chance, we'll take it. ;)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For many years we were too cheap to pay extra either. If we got upgraded for free, great. The most we would do was pay for Economy Plus. But as we've gotten older our creature comfort has gotten more important. We don't take many trips where we can upgrade to first class (or where it makes sense to). So now when we have the chance, we'll take it. ;)

I definitely do that with flight times. I will pay extra. I don't think I have ever flown in a plane that had the lie-flat seats to Hawaii. We don't fly much either except inter-island now so we will watch next time.

I have heard many people here prefer to pay for friends and family to visit instead of them traveling back. I can see myself doing that too. We'll see.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I definitely do that with flight times. I will pay extra. I don't think I have ever flown in a plane that had the lie-flat seats to Hawaii. We don't fly much either except inter-island now so we will watch next time.

I have heard many people here prefer to pay for friends and family to visit instead of them traveling back. I can see myself doing that too. We'll see.
As I mentioned I've never flown in the lay flat seats until our return trip from Maui in April. Then my daughter and I flew to Switzerland and we booked those seats. It was well worth it. Our trip to Maui next year is in first class, with lay flat seats, but not the pods. Years ago we were upgraded (no cost to us) on a United flight to Maui. I do not remember the seats being the lay flat back then.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Kurt
We accumulate points expressly for use on long-haul trips like LAX to Europe in business or first so we have lie flat. It’s more than just a single night’s sleep. It changes the trip because it virtually eliminates jet lag. We take evening flights so we are able to get 3-4 hours of sleep. We land mid-day (London, Paris, whatever). We are tired, but not so much so because we got some sleep. It means we have that day to get settled into the hotel and go out. Go to bed about 9:00 or so and wake up the next day feeling entirely time adjusted and normal. That 3 or so hours of sleep makes all the difference.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Having made that flight to/from LAX and Hawaii at least a dozen times the past few years we are actually fine with HA‘s extra comfort seats. I have flown HA first several times, which is certainly nicer. But their extra comfort is just fine for a 5-hour flight. A 3-hr time change doesn’t create any day-ruining jet lag. We also fly American. Their first class is about the same as HA’s extra comfort. And HA has way better food and service than American.