• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii with wee one

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK so I'm planning a ways out, but my wife and I loved our trip to MKO this past March and would love to return. Since then we have been blessed with our first child and of course that adds spice to travel planning. I'm thinking we would love to go back in 2013 or 2014 but I'm not sure about the long flight with a 2-3 year old. Any thoughts/reccomendations on flying Midwest (Ohio) -> Hawaii with a little one? Obviously been done before but I'm trying to see if we will be able to handle it ;)

Also, what are the odds of scoring a 2BR MKO through II trade from a MOW? Too hopeful? We are also thinking of trying MOC to see another island...

Thoughts are welcomed... Thanks!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew from NC to Australia with a 18 month old, and she did great! Now, granted, we were on NZ Air, and they have those great bassinets that fold down from the bulkheads in coach (plus kids meals, packets of diapers, soap, powder....all included in the basically "free" ticket for kids under 2.) We joked that she was the only one who got to sleep flat in coach. ;)

I will say that this was not her first international travel, and had flown at least a dozen times before. That's probably the biggest factor--that the child has experience on airplanes and understands behavior expectations before going on such a long flight.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've flown Oah to Cali with my Daughter when she was 12 months, 2 1/2, and 4. The first was definatly the most difficult, but once I got her to fall asleep she was okay. We plan our flights either red eye, or with her nap time right in the middle. My in laws just traveled from NYC with their 12 month old, direct. I thought they were nuts to fly direct, but they mannaged.

darly2004

Reaction score
We traveled with our 18 mo old to Maui/Oahu a couple years ago. It was definitely difficult. I would definitely try a red-eye or if you can do a layover in Los Angeles. It's not stopping us from traveling with two kids this time around though. Youngest will be a little younger than two. Hawaii is so worth it!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We've traveled annually from LAX-OGG with young ones, starting when they were 1, 3 and 5. It was definitely interesting, but well worth the effort. I agree with others who have suggested redeyes, although the following day after the return is rough.

Also (and I'm embarassed to admit it), give them benadryl. It's better for everybody if they sleep for a couple hours.....

Good luck!

Greg

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've traveled annually from LAX-OGG with young ones, starting when they were 1, 3 and 5. It was definitely interesting, but well worth the effort. I agree with others who have suggested redeyes, although the following day after the return is rough.

Also (and I'm embarassed to admit it), give them benadryl. It's better for everybody if they sleep for a couple hours.....

Good luck!

Greg

That's funny, before we had our kids I'd be the one taking the benadryl.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've traveled extensively (5-10+ trips per year, from the time they were a few months old) with all three of our kids (now 8 years, 6 years and almost 2 years old). This has included multi-day road trips, flights to Europe and/or Hawaii, etc. Each kids is different and each age is different.

The first six months is probably the easiest, because they sleep a lot, things going on around them don't bother them, and they can't walk/crawl. Biggest tip for this age: A bottle or nursing during takeoff and landing helps their ears to adjust to the change in pressure.

From six months to a year, it's a bit tougher because they're more aware of what's going on around them.

From one two two, it's probably the hardest because they're going to want to move around or walk and they won't understand why they can't.

From two on, it gradually gets easier because there are more things that will keep them entertained.

Also, one warning about benedryl... Some kids (and adults) have the OPPOSITE reaction and it keeps them awake instead of helping them sleep. If you're going to do that, make sure you know in advance.

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Depends on the kid

We flew to HI when my daughter was 5mos old, and it was rough, but she was a fussy baby and NOT a great sleeper, so she behaved her usual fussy self on the airplane to my dismay and the discomfort of everyone around me. I had some Benadryl just in case, and I think without it, someone would have offed us. We flew to Europe when she was about 1.5, and (thankfully) she had outgrown most of the fussiness & was more calm & serene. By the time my daughter was 2, she was a traveling pro with a routine; she immediately sat down, got her pillow & animals settled, took off her shoes, & put on slippers. It was hilarious to watch.

At any rate, I really think it depends on your kid. The really fussy or active kids have the hardest time, obviously. Having the backup Benadryl can be a lifesaver if the worst comes to fruition. I felt terrible about "drugging" my kid, but it's better than possibly inciting violence in fellow travelers.

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter was 18 months...we got a video player and between naps and that we were fine...GO. We had a fantastic time. We stuck her in a backpack and hiked a bit, hung out at many of the kid-friendly beaches.

I did buy her a ticket though, so she had a seat, so she was at home in her car seat. That made a big difference.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Also, one warning about benedryl... Some kids (and adults) have the OPPOSITE reaction and it keeps them awake instead of helping them sleep. If you're going to do that, make sure you know in advance.

We had the benedryl backfire. We were coming back from Jamaica with our daughter and her 18 month old. She slept for about 30 minutes and then was screaming for most of the rest of the flight. Better test the reaction a couple of times before you go.

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
We go to hawaii every year with kids

Chicago to Oahu with a few trips to Orlando thrown in. The oldest has been on planes since she was 10months old and the second probably younger than that. All the advice above is good. Lots of toys, hopefully some sleep, anything that will keep them interested. We read LOTS of books to the kids, tossed in a few disney dvds and generally kept them fed and occupied. Now the kids are 7 and 4 and have their own frequent flier miles and are old pros at moving thru the airport. I wouldn't wait until they are 2 or 3 if the wait is for them to "mature". It's an adventure! Let them have fun.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
The first time we flew with my then 18 month old she got motion sick for her first time. Check with doctor but Dramamine directions say 1/2 a chewable table for ages 2 to 6 every 6 hours. The Dramamine will make make you drowsy and prevent motion sickness. When my daughter was under 2 the doctor told us to give her benedryl before flying. Till today my now 18 year still gets motion sick.

The first time I flew with my other child at 15 month old there was a delay boarding the plane to come home. I did everything I could to prevent her from fall asleep. Once we boarded she was out before the wheels left the ground. Our friend's 12 month old fell asleep while waiting - they had a horriable flight which included motion sickness.

Now we all take Bonine to prevent anyone from getting sick when we fly or drive a long distant.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We have four kids (ages 4-11), and we travel annually to Hawaii. All of our kids have now become seasoned flyers and can manage their own bags through the airport and airplane with minimal assistance from us.

When our kids were babies, the flights were definitely a lot tougher but we soldiered through it. Babies require you to haul so much stuff along wherever you go. As a father, I sometimes felt like a beast-of-burden in the airports. I willingly paid for rental luggage carts and sometimes even porters. Checking one or two large bags filled with just baby stuff was usually a requirement, which adds extra hassle and expense. I'm so glad that we can now travel relatively lightly and efficiently with just one rolling carry-on bag per person.

Speaking of the just the flight itself, our babies had some easy flights, but ... there was one trip from hell that we will never forget. Three straight hours of fussing and crying resulted in many frayed nerves and even rude comments from other passengers. I really couldn't blame the other passengers for feeling angry - nobody on the plane could get any sleep. It was truly horrible. At the end of the flight, nobody would look us in the eye (we were ~those~ parents). Benadryl became our friend for the return flight home. The most difficult thing with a baby is not knowing why they are fussing and crying (ears, hungry, too hot, etc).

If your child will be 2-3 years old, you should be fine though. Patience is still required, but at least you are able to communicate with the child to help them feel more comfortable and happy.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
We go at least every year with our 3 kids but it's only a 5 hour flight from the West Coast.

You can do it, there's only two of them so you can still play man to man defense. DW and I play zone.

wrap up small toy presents to introduce to your 2-3 yo to keep him/her engaged. We didn't drug our kids but had candy ready for bribery when necessary. Lollipops are good to help with ear pressure.

I personally would avoid red eyes. Everyone is tired by that point and have less patience for an overtired kids that won't sleep. We prefer morning flights.

Also, if you're going that distance then go for two weeks.

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traveled with our daughters since they were babies. My oldest was easy, slept a lot. However, my youngest slept very little. She's was a very active child and fussy as a baby. However, she never cried much on a plane, but never slept much either. This required us to play, read, rent dvd players and whatever else we could think of to keep her occupied. It was difficult at the time. Now it seems funny.

We tried the redeye once, she feel asleep as the plane was landing.:hysterical:

You'll survive!

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tried the redeye once, she feel asleep as the plane was landing.:hysterical:
We had a road trip like that once. Up until that point, the kids had always slept really great in their car seats. We figured we would leave around bedtime and drive through the night (it was going to be a 16 hour drive). The kids screamed and cried and kept each other awake until about 5am. We were planning on switching off and letting me wife drive part of the way, but once they fell asleep we didn't dare stop. I ended up driving the entire way. Ugh.

This is a big part of why I say that kids change and that what works on one trip or with one kid might not work on another trip.

Deej82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the thoughts and inspiration... I think there's hope for sure! I agree that the two week stay would be a must.. or at least like 10 days. Just have to figure out the best exchange/DC/MRP/rental combo! I'm kind of thinking try for an II trade to get a full week locked in then use DC points or premier rental rate to grab nites on both ends till I can match the cheapest airfare days of the week.... Thursday/Tuesday/Wednesday? Last time we went to MKO I used an MRP travel combo to get miles and a 5 night hotel stay cert. That seemed pretty efficient since the miles were 1/1 vs 3/1 for just airline redemption. Is this how other folks deal with airline tix or are there other better tricks?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I agree that the two week stay would be a must.. or at least like 10 days. ...
DON"T EVEN TALK YOURSELF INTO THIS....at least 14 (as you correctly stated "it is a must"), hmmm why not try to stretch it, like to about 21 ? :D

You can do the trip just fine. Before you know it, if the flight is horrible, you will be enjoying yourself in no time. The the grand scheme of things, one or two bad flights (IF it even happens) is no big deal.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We go at least every year with our 3 kids but it's only a 5 hour flight from the West Coast.

You can do it, there's only two of them so you can still play man to man defense. DW and I play zone.

wrap up small toy presents to introduce to your 2-3 yo to keep him/her engaged. We didn't drug our kids but had candy ready for bribery when necessary. Lollipops are good to help with ear pressure.

I personally would avoid red eyes. Everyone is tired by that point and have less patience for an overtired kids that won't sleep. We prefer morning flights.

Also, if you're going that distance then go for two weeks.

This is terrific advice -- we also play zone defense with our 3 kids -- and electronic stuff helps too (videos/iThings/etc).

My wife reminded me that we didn't do red eyes until more recently as the children grew older and we will prefer the morning flight on AA from OGG to LAX. And we also do 2 weeks because it is a lengthy trip.

We have gum for ear pressure and have lots of junk for bribery purposes, and now realize (based on this thread) that we are fortunate that benadryl works in my kids....

Good luck, and I hope it goes well!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be doing Hawaii with two kids also (9 and 4). Need to decide best place to change planes since I cannot go direct.

How much worse is change planes with the kids in the midwest (Chicago or Denver) vs. West Coast (SFO or LAX).

Price is about same so it is more about not going stir crazy. Also, I have been told on the way there that it is not worth staying over for a day in the city of stopover but on the way back definitely do it. Any thoughts on that?

pharmgirl

Reaction score
I will be doing Hawaii with two kids also (9 and 4). Need to decide best place to change planes since I cannot go direct.

How much worse is change planes with the kids in the midwest (Chicago or Denver) vs. West Coast (SFO or LAX).

I would AVOID midwest in winter if you can change in California since you don't want to run into snow/ice problems in winter

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would AVOID midwest in winter if you can change in California since you don't want to run into snow/ice problems in winter

Won't be winter time.. so snow/ice not an issue.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would definitely change plans on the West Coast -- it breaks up the trip more evenly -- it's still 5-6 hours from LAX or SFO.

With respect to stopping on the way back, it depends. If you're taking a redeye back, I'd take the longest redeye I could. I've not thought about staying over for a day to try to improve the return, I know that I am simply ready to be home and a one day layover would have me a little restless.

Good luck!

Greg

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Price is about same so it is more about not going stir crazy. Also, I have been told on the way there that it is not worth staying over for a day in the city of stopover but on the way back definitely do it. Any thoughts on that?

Our prefered stop over cities are Seattle or Portland.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
No quite the same thing, but flying from DFW we have always stopped over on the West Coast (usually LAX) before, but the last time we had direct flights. We liked the longer flights, especially on the (redeye) return. We've never spent an extra night coming or going, and probably never will. With kids and a timeshare, we pack quite a bit and each move is a real pain.