• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii vacation to start May 30 - to cancel or not???

OHAttyMom23

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We have a 2 week Hawaii vacation for 6 adults and 4 children in a 2 bedroom and a studio at Maui Ocean Club using a combination of our deeded week and the remainder in points. This was to celebrate both of our parents' 50th anniversaries and our 25th anniversary. Due to COVID-19, both sets of parents are not comfortable going - and their physicians have advised them not to go. We had planned to cancel the studio and continue our trip with the children because we booked our United airfare using air miles (and I cannot get a clear idea whether United will refund the miles or offer a voucher if we cancel, and even if they offer re-booking the United COVID-19 policy appears to only allow travel through the date the original tickets were booked - in December - how helpful). Both parents were booked flying Southwest from different cities and I understand we have until the end of 2021 to use their credits, so we hope to try this logistical booking feat again next year.

We were still planning to go since this is 2 months out and I was hopeful things would be resolving by then, however I now learned that Hawaii is basically under lock down and anyone arriving to the islands will be quarantined in their hotel room (with out food or laundry capabilities (if in the older section)???) for 14 days. With no end in sight to the quarantine rule, we now have until Monday to cancel to be able to get our points returned without penalty, and deposit our week in II without trade restrictions. We already lost our home resort week we had booked for spring break in Orlando because we cancelled within 3-7 days of arrival (while Marriott transferred us to II to deposit the week with restrictions when I called, we were later informed that Marriott denied our ability to do so in direct conflict with their stated COVID-19 policy).

Anyone know of how United is handling the refund of air miles (we used approximately $6000 worth so I hate to lose them) or whether they are loosening their rather restrictive re-booking requirements? My husband purchased the United travel insurance which is worthless and only credits the air mile tickets as being worth $265 anyway- the cost of legroom and luggage upgrades. Even if we could re-book airfare over Thanksgiving, I doubt we could find accommodations. Stressed over what to do and how best to minimize the losses at this point.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are cancelling our trip to Seattle as we don't want to take any chances. The 14 day quarantine in Hawaii has no end date at this point. Most, if not all, airlines have suspended direct flights to the islands and only have one flight per day to Honolulu. Hotels are shutting down. I personally think it's going to take more than a month, or two, to get back to "normal".

If you booked with miles those should be returned to your account. I think United usually has a fee to do this, I would hope they are waiving that at this time. You can try reaching out to United on social media for answers. I've done this with Hilton and Alaska Airlines and have gotten very quick responses to questions.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We have a 2 week Hawaii vacation for 6 adults and 4 children in a 2 bedroom and a studio at Maui Ocean Club using a combination of our deeded week and the remainder in points. This was to celebrate both of our parents' 50th anniversaries and our 25th anniversary. Due to COVID-19, both sets of parents are not comfortable going - and their physicians have advised them not to go. We had planned to cancel the studio and continue our trip with the children because we booked our United airfare using air miles (and I cannot get a clear idea whether United will refund the miles or offer a voucher if we cancel, and even if they offer re-booking the United COVID-19 policy appears to only allow travel through the date the original tickets were booked - in December - how helpful). Both parents were booked flying Southwest from different cities and I understand we have until the end of 2021 to use their credits, so we hope to try this logistical booking feat again next year.

We were still planning to go since this is 2 months out and I was hopeful things would be resolving by then, however I now learned that Hawaii is basically under lock down and anyone arriving to the islands will be quarantined in their hotel room (with out food or laundry capabilities (if in the older section)???) for 14 days. With no end in sight to the quarantine rule, we now have until Monday to cancel to be able to get our points returned without penalty, and deposit our week in II without trade restrictions. We already lost our home resort week we had booked for spring break in Orlando because we cancelled within 3-7 days of arrival (while Marriott transferred us to II to deposit the week with restrictions when I called, we were later informed that Marriott denied our ability to do so in direct conflict with their stated COVID-19 policy).

Anyone know of how United is handling the refund of air miles (we used approximately $6000 worth so I hate to lose them) or whether they are loosening their rather restrictive re-booking requirements? My husband purchased the United travel insurance which is worthless and only credits the air mile tickets as being worth $265 anyway- the cost of legroom and luggage upgrades. Even if we could re-book airfare over Thanksgiving, I doubt we could find accommodations. Stressed over what to do and how best to minimize the losses at this point.
I just don’t see everything good in 8 weeks. Some areas in the states are not projected to peak until May. I doubt Hawaii will want Visitors as the virus is still peaking. I would minimize my losses and cancel.

OHAttyMom23

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
(deleted post removed)

In part taking ques from United's COVID-19 policy which only applies to flights through May 31st. If our flight was two days later, it would not even be currently applicable for cancellation.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
We have a trip to Ko Olina starting on May 30th as well. Going to cancel.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just cancelled our trip to both KoOlina and Maui for mid May. My son who lives near KoOlina says that the 14 day quarantine will probably continue pass even after things start opening back up, so as much as I wanted to see our son we choose to cancel and hopefully we'll be able to get into KoOlina in the fall in order to move our trip.

BE SAFE EVERYONE AND STAY HEALTHY!!

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
We cancelled out California trip for mid to end of May that was booked last July, 2019. We received a full credit and according to United's website we have to rebooked by Dec. 31, 2020 for travel 12 months before he original travel date in, by May 15, 2021.

From United website:

Waiver: All change fees waived for tickets issued on or before March 2, 2020
Original ticket must be issued on or before:
March 2, 2020
Original travel dates
March 3, 2020 - May 31, 2020
Flight changes:

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date

Airports
  • All cities

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about United specifically, but had a similar situation on Delta for 5 passengers. One way was all air miles and received a return of miles and refunded all fees to cc. Other one way was cash and received a complete refund to cc - outside the bounds of the written policy.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We cancelled out California trip for mid to end of May that was booked last July, 2019. We received a full credit and according to United's website we have to rebooked by Dec. 31, 2020 for travel 12 months before he original travel date in, by May 15, 2021.

From United website:

March 2, 2020
Original travel dates
Flight changes:

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date

I am wondering whether your interpretation of the UA policy is correct with your conclusion that you are allowed to rebook for travel commencing by May 15, 2021???

I am in a very similar situation with AA for a May 5 trip to Portland - which has exactly the same waiver criteria as UA. I booked this ticket online on Nov 11 2019. So my interpretation of the adjusted waiver policy follows:

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier. In my case, since the original ticket date was Nov 11 2019, I must re-book by Nov 11 2020 and not Dec 31. Using my interpretation for your trip, you would have to rebook by July 2020 since you booked in July 2019.
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date. In my case, the rebooked trip must commence by Nov 11, 2020 and NOT May 5, 2021 - which was the date of our original flight. Using my interpretation for your trip, you would have to commence travel in July 2020.
I hope that my interpretation is wrong and that yours is correct! As such, would appreciate how others interpret the UA and AA adjusted policies? Would help all of us better understand our options clearly.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't even think about traveling at this point. These are unknown times and why take a gamble?

Assuming we get through this then we will have the rest of our lives to travel. Stay put for now and be able to enjoy it later!

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
I don’t know about United specifically, but had a similar situation on Delta for 5 passengers. One way was all air miles and received a return of miles and refunded all fees to cc. Other one way was cash and received a complete refund to cc - outside the bounds of the written policy.

Wow - that is great! Did you have to fight for the refund of your paid portion "outside the bounds of the written policy"? Or you requested and the agent graciously agreed with no push back?

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - that is great! Did you have to fight for the refund of your paid portion "outside the bounds of the written policy"? Or you requested and the agent graciously agreed with no push back?

Polite request. Did require lots of hold time as worked through “supervisor”.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I canceled two boat tours in Alaska for the end of August - beginning of September.
I was concerned that they could run low on cash and not refund later.
Also, if we go it might be best to avoid tight crowds.
I'm hoping that a flight is canceled so that i can get a refund.

There is no way that I'd go to Hawaii the end of May with their shortage of hospital beds and equipment.
If someone in your party becomes infected, where will you stay and at what cost? What hotel would accept you?

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Polite request. Did require lots of hold time as worked through “supervisor”.
Thanks for the reply - figured that it likely required a supervisor. May I ask what compelling reason you provided that resulting in the refund vs rebooking option or DL vouchers? May give it a try with my AA tickets.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, there are things in II right now that you never see. Over the next 60 days there are an abundance of 2BR Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara for example. You never see these.......EVER. I think the game that everyone needs to play is to immediately grab stuff the minute that travel restrictions are lifted or we are getting back to normal (whatever that means). Everyone in II is cancelling either right before the 60 day or 14 day period. There is going to be so much great inventory up to 60 days when travel is a viable option again.

Same thing will happen for airline tickets.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering whether your interpretation of the UA policy is correct with your conclusion that you are allowed to rebook for travel commencing by May 15, 2021???

I am in a very similar situation with AA for a May 5 trip to Portland - which has exactly the same waiver criteria as UA. I booked this ticket online on Nov 11 2019. So my interpretation of the adjusted waiver policy follows:

• New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier. In my case, since the original ticket date was Nov 11 2019, I must re-book by Nov 11 2020 and not Dec 31. Using my interpretation for your trip, you would have to rebook by July 2020 since you booked in July 2019.
  • Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date. In my case, the rebooked trip must commence by Nov 11, 2020 and NOT May 5, 2021 - which was the date of our original flight. Using my interpretation for your trip, you would have to commence travel in July 2020.
I hope that my interpretation is wrong and that yours is correct! As such, would appreciate how others interpret the UA and AA adjusted policies? Would help all of us better understand our options clearly.
Hi Jwerking,
Can you tell me where you found the policy on American Airlines site? I just see the how to cancel/rebook but I can’t find the actual policy.
I had a friend told me it would be rebook within a year- but she didn’t know if it was a year from purchase, a year from cancel or a year from original travel date.
thanks.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch

I hope your wrong because that only give me two months to extend by trip instead of a year. I plan on using credit for August 2020 travel (if all goes well). I have played with using credit for new flight plans in August 2020 and I didn't have any restrictions. I'm just not ready to commit to airline yet for August travel. I plan on waiting a little longer to reserve airline tickets.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is our experience cancelling a United flight using miles. The trip was also for the end of May. I had read on FlyerTalk that while United was waiving change fees and not charging fees to get your fare back as future flight credit for cash bookings; however, they were still charging the redeposit fee for award miles. Depending on when you booked and how far in advance it could either be $75 or $125 per person to redeposit. For us that could have been as much as $250. For a family of four it could be as high as $500. Perhaps worth it to get $6000 in miles back.

However when my wife called she somehow got a great agent that was willing to waive the redeposit fees. We had already had to pay redeposit fees on these same miles months ago because of a previously cancelled trip, but I don't think the agent even knew that. So try calling United and see what they can do. They may or may not charge the redeposit fee. Do expect to sit on hold. In all, my wife spent 75 minutes on the phone, only 10 of which were with the agent.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

From United website:

March 2, 2020
Original travel dates
Flight changes:

Airports
  • All cities
This only applies to cash bookings. Per FlyerTalk posts, they seem to still be charing the redeposit fee for award miles, but once the miles are back in the account, they are the same as all other miles. As far as I know, United miles no longer expire.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hi Jwerking,
Can you tell me where you found the policy on American Airlines site? I just see the how to cancel/rebook but I can’t find the actual policy.
I had a friend told me it would be rebook within a year- but she didn’t know if it was a year from purchase, a year from cancel or a year from original travel date.
thanks.
Here is where I found the information when trying to decide what to do about our tickets: http://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...ers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/

• Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is where I found the information when trying to decide what to do about our tickets: http://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...ers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/

• Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.
Thanks for the link.
I was searching on the AA site and reading the fine print on my ticket.
I guess there’s no point for be to delay cancelling.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

We were still planning to go since this is 2 months out and I was hopeful things would be resolving by then, however I now learned that Hawaii is basically under lock down and anyone arriving to the islands will be quarantined in their hotel room (with out food or laundry capabilities (if in the older section)???) for 14 days. With no end in sight to the quarantine rule, we now have until Monday to cancel to be able to get our points returned without penalty, and deposit our week in II without trade restrictions.

OHAttyMom23 - A lot of decisions these days. Putting into perspective...these are vacation decisions...vs life/death/job. Similar to you, we had a 15 day Hawaiian vacation planned in April with extended family that was planned a year+ in advance for several special occasions (birthday, health recovery, etc). Goal was to make family memories.

Hindsight is 20/20. We didn't cancel before the 60 day mark...as we thought COVID-19 wouldn't be as impactful as it is today. We were still hopeful to travel. As a result, we cannot rebook via MVC to another available week in 2020 and will end up depositing our Hawaii weeks into II. While not a great option, it is at least an option. We wish we would have cancelled prior to 60 day window....then we could rebook this trip potentially later in 2020. We are now going through the tedious steps of cancel everything and see what money we can get back (kennel for dog, car rentals, airfare (3 different airlines via cash & points & inter island), MVC weeks & DC Pts, activities planned, etc).

While painful, if you are within the 60 day mark...I would cancel your MVC weeks now...and re-plan for later.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope your wrong because that only give me two months to extend by trip instead of a year. I plan on using credit for August 2020 travel (if all goes well). I have played with using credit for new flight plans in August 2020 and I didn't have any restrictions. I'm just not ready to commit to airline yet for August travel. I plan on waiting a little longer to reserve airline tickets.

Great sign that you were able to use the UA credit for new flight plans in Aug 2020 when playing around online for future flights. I think right now that airlines, hotels, and II/RCI are trying desperately to modify their systems to caught up with their new adjusted cancellation policies. I hope that you are right - I too would love to be able to use my tixs thru May 2021.

BTW, try to play around with the credit and see if you can book thru Dec 31 or even better May 2021. Testing will be enlightening to all in the same situation!

FYI, I cancelled an II trade for this past week to the Marriott Monarch in Hilton Head and confirmed an alternative week in Nov 2020 in Hilton Head. I have been able to use the "retrade" function to see availability thru the checkin timeframe of my original Marriott deposit. So lucky for all of us that II has not been able to modify their system to be compliant with its adjusted policy of having the use the week by Dec 31 2020.

Given your experience with the UA cancellation, perhaps I should go ahead and cancel my AA flights now - I was hoping for a cancellation of flights so I would be entitled to a "refund".

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As a United frequent flyer, I have sometimes canceled flights that I booked with miles with no penalty. Maybe there is no penalty due to our status? The only thing I lost was the $11/ticket fee (or whatever it is now) that they charged when booking the flights. Other than that, the miles went back into our account. Disclaimer: I have not done this recently, so things may have changed since then.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
As a United frequent flyer, I have sometimes canceled flights that I booked with miles with no penalty. Maybe there is no penalty due to our status? The only thing I lost was the $11/ticket fee (or whatever it is now) that they charged when booking the flights. Other than that, the miles went back into our account. Disclaimer: I have not done this recently, so things may have changed since then.
Wow. You lose the booking fee? With Southwest if you cancel flights made with miles you get the miles back and the booking fee. However, if you have paid for Early Bird you lose that, unless you change the flight instead of cancelling it.