• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Travel Pro Tips for Packing: Food for TS Kitchen

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Other than the ziploc bags with some foil folded into one (in case we decide to grill one night), I always take coffee filters. I live on Hawaiian coffee and poke. I have a certain poke seasoning I can't always find, so bring that with me usually but could certainly find something in a pinch. Despite the higher prices, shopping for food in Hawaii is part of the fun.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have a certain poke seasoning I can't always find, so bring that with me usually

If you're on the West side of the Big Island, Kona Chips sells the best furikake. All the local markets have small packets of limu -- but they are often hard to find. Ask someone at the deli. They usually know.

As for kukui nuts, good luck. They're a natural laxative -- so they've fallen out of favor. Mac nuts make an acceptable substitute. But I prefer a small amount of kukui in my poke. Why not -- it's traditional.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
If you're on the West side of the Big Island, Kona Chips sells the best furikake. All the local markets have small packets of limu -- but they are often hard to find. Ask someone at the deli. They usually know.

As for kukui nuts, good luck. They're a natural laxative -- so they've fallen out of favor. Mac nuts make an acceptable substitute. But I prefer a small amount of kukui in my poke. Why not -- it's traditional.

I haven't been to Big Island yet (plan is for 2023), but will take note of Kona Chips for my furikake. I was not looking for kukui nuts but with that piece of information I definitely will not be... lol

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I haven't been to Big Island yet (plan is for 2023), but will take note of Kona Chips for my furikake. I was not looking for kukui nuts but with that piece of information I definitely will not be... lol

Kona Chips are one of those fringe benefits to living here. Best chips on earth. And they also make Furikake potato chips, which are even better than regular chips. They sell furikake by the quart. I highly recommend the three-pound box of furikake chips and at least one quart of furikake for the return trip.

If for some reason anyone finds themselves with leftover furikake, I'll gladly take it off their hands.

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
What we bring depends on whether we're driving or flying. Since you're flying to Hawai'i, leave everything home except have-to-have spices, a good chef knife, and a paring knife. Buy everything else there, from local shops as others have noted.

I carry more than that for tools - I bought a professional chef's knife roll and filled it with the aforementioned knives, a digital meat thermometer, OXO veggie peeler, silicone spatula, waiter's corkscrew, vacuum wine bottle stoppers, and a sharpening steel. It fits flat in the bottom of my checked bag.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We tend to eat out a lot on island so we usually just get enough at the store for light breakfast such as toast and bacon, muffins, something quick, and then some bagged snacks or candy in case we are starving at night or want a snack, then eat one big meal out per day. We always bring a variety of ziplocks and tide pods, and usually a ziplock full of various condiment packets and spices, and most importantly, these Gripstics.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Has anyone used Costco delivery to Hawaiian Village?

cafeirene

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I will add to my kitchen tool packing (and it takes little room) is a melon ball tool. Works great on you day coconut as well as the abundant fresh fruit available. Good for seeding, curing long pieces, and relatively safe!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
So this last trip to Maui I packed an ice cream scoop in my carry-on (for Roselani Ice Cream OF COURSE!), and enjoyed trying to assist the TSA agents to find it in my luggage-of-a-thousand-zips. Good thing I had plenty of time on my hands. On the way back I made sure it was checked, along with the pineapple corer/cutter. I would take both again though, they were really handy.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco prices are very similar to the mainland prices. We typically buy whatever we need there, on the way to the resort. Same for soft drinks and alcoholic beverages. I would only take spices and other small items where Costco quantities are too great to use up during the time we are there or items that are not common around the country.

Supermarkets in tourist areas are expensive for everything, but usually much more convenient than making an extra trip to Costco for small miscellaneous purchases.
Those ABC convince supermarkets stores are over the islands and they are expensive.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a spice container at my local sports store. It holds 6 different spices and is made by gsi outdoors. I thought it was a great way to bring my favorite spices and seals up tightly
View attachment 47505
That is an outstanding idea to bring spices on any timeshare vacation.

Wolfepack88

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Islander
We actually bring high lumen LED light bulbs for the kitchen table chandelier and the living room lights since they put the cheapest dimmest bulbs in the rooms. Spices come as well. I've even thought of bringing my own shower head so I can have a real shower vs the trickle you get in most places these days.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what I shipped to the Bay Club at Wiakioloa timeshare. One large USPS flat rate box with clothes. and small condiment packs (ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish, tartar sauce, bbq sauce, grape jelly. One small box with three cooking seasonings, 3 covid tests, 4 disposable razors. (Got e-mail confirm on the big box from King's Land, they seem to be the common delivery point for all Waikoloa timeshares, expect the small box tomorrow. Really neat, I didn't do it this time (first time getting confirms), but next time, ship all clothes, and kitchen goods - when get the confirm, don't have to pack a carry on. Net cost both ways - $88!)

Carry on bag. Clothes, vitamins and meds, extension cord, electric tooth brush, binoculars, mini shaving cream. Gadget bag - music player, micro sd chip bag, 2 computers (netbook sized, 1 linux, 1 Win 7), noise cancelling headphones, USB charger, AA/AAA battery charger, mini mouse, video gadgets, USB chip reader, various cords, e-book reader!.

Last minute pack - BIG SMILE!!!!

(What I wished I had in Hawaii, KitchenAid blender with dough hooks - I'd love to make some cinnamon rolls there - modest sized quality speakers. I dislike having to pipe music through the TV, but I hate to drive over to Hilo to get an affordable storage unit for just a couple of items.)

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The only food items that I bring to Hawaii (and mainland locations) include a 1.5 ounce bottle of olive oil (for cooking steaks), a steak rub, SPG (a mixture of salt, pepper and garlic) and a 2# plastic can of dark-roast coffee. If I had to eliminate one it would be the coffee. I sometimes pack a few protein bars. That's it - - I pick up the rest locally (Costco, Safeway, etc.).

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Here's what I shipped to the Bay Club at Wiakioloa timeshare. One large USPS flat rate box with clothes. and small condiment packs (ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish, tartar sauce, bbq sauce, grape jelly. One small box with three cooking seasonings, 3 covid tests, 4 disposable razors. (Got e-mail confirm on the big box from King's Land, they seem to be the common delivery point for all Waikoloa timeshares, expect the small box tomorrow. Really neat, I didn't do it this time (first time getting confirms), but next time, ship all clothes, and kitchen goods - when get the confirm, don't have to pack a carry on. Net cost both ways - $88!)

I never consider sending a box. Part of our travel problem is winter weather so we travel light. I'm going to look into this because it would be cool to not even have to deal with our carry on's.

Bill

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never consider sending a box. Part of our travel problem is winter weather so we travel light. I'm going to look into this because it would be cool to not even have to deal with our carry on's.

Bill
It depends on the timeshare. Bay Club has it on its services list. From the e-mail I got back, apparently so does King's Land and Kohala Suites. I have no idea about other timeshares, even other Hiltons. The arrival email is new. You didn't used to get one. It makes planning even easier. Sent the stuff 10 days in advance, get the email back on arrival. If it's there, you don't need to pack it, except for emergency change of clothes due to possible flight delays/cancellations.

The large flat fee box isn't <large>, it's 12x12x5.5 inches. You might need several.

Last edited:

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score

Carry on bag. Clothes, vitamins and meds, extension cord, electric tooth brush, binoculars, mini shaving cream. Gadget bag - music player, micro sd chip bag, 2 computers (netbook sized, 1 linux, 1 Win 7), noise cancelling headphones, USB charger, AA/AAA battery charger, mini mouse, video gadgets, USB chip reader, various cords, e-book reader!.

Last minute pack - BIG SMILE!!!!

(What I wished I had in Hawaii, KitchenAid blender with dough hooks - I'd love to make some cinnamon rolls there - modest sized quality speakers. I dislike having to pipe music through the TV, but I hate to drive over to Hilo to get an affordable storage unit for just a couple of items.)
Thanks - although we're not heading to Hawaii for our timeshare trip I'm glad you posted packing some covid test kits. Although tests are no longer mandatory where we're going if fully vax'd, it's probably a good thing to have and I forgot about that! So we'll thrown a couple of kits into our carry ons.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any recommended local food items to enhance our Hawaii experience?

Some of our favorite foods to buy in Hawaii.

- Mangoes
- Kokohead Smoked Ahi Spread (Maui and Oahu)
- Wholesale Unlimited-- Betty's Best Cookies (Party Mix, All Butter Shortbread, Cornflake Cookies)
- Foodland poke

Would love to hear other irresistible food finds.