• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Travel Pro Tips for Packing: Food for TS Kitchen

bryjake

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access, Midtown 45
We are becoming smarter on which food items to pack on our TS trips.
We are heading to the big island in late May.
We are seeking pro tips on what items we should consider packing.
We plan on taking advantage of our TS kitchen and grill.

What items are NOT allowed to be brought into Hawaii?

What are some good food items that are safe to bring to Hawaii?

What items are very expensive on the big island?

Any recommended local food items to enhance our Hawaii experience?

We typically bring things like spaghetti sauce, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, bacon, cheese, and occasionally some frozen steaks (Get great steaks in from the Midwest).

Looking forward to learning more pro tips

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco prices are very similar to the mainland prices. We typically buy whatever we need there, on the way to the resort. Same for soft drinks and alcoholic beverages. I would only take spices and other small items where Costco quantities are too great to use up during the time we are there or items that are not common around the country.

Supermarkets in tourist areas are expensive for everything, but usually much more convenient than making an extra trip to Costco for small miscellaneous purchases.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we go to Hawaii, we pack minimally- just carry-ons because you only need T-shirts, shorts, beach wear. You can't bring anything 'fresh'- like meats or veggies. The roadside farmstands will have local foods. Like pineapples, etc. I second a Costco stop for booze & sunscreen & general stuff. Milk and gas are expensive in Hawaii, but you can't bring it with you. Bring a small knife sharpener- TS knives generally suck and unless you are checking bags, you can't bring them with you.

Jim

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
If you like fish/seafood find out where the local fish shop is. We spent 2 months on Maui and Kauai earlier this year and loved the local fish shops on both islands. All of them had fresh fish to purchase, but also part of the shop open for lunch with prepared food. I am certainly a fan of Costco for some basics, but it is great to buy local seafood, meat and produce as well. Always feels like more of a vacation when I am not eating just what I eat at home!

Last edited:

ared505

Reaction score
I agree with the above writers. This is not like loading the station wagon to drive to a cottage. Don't haul pasta and sauce, bacon, cheese, and frozen meat on a plane. Costco (so close to the BI airport), Safeway, etc. have all you need, and they employ local workers and support the local economy. Stop at farm stands for produce and neighborhood fish and BBQ shops for the freshest. If you're going to Waikoloa, the Kings Market has a farmers market day.

That said, focus on seasonings you like to use. I keep a pill-a-day box filled with my favorite spices. I bring small jars of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in multiple zip-lock bags. Stash small, light things like tea bags and your oatmeal packets in your suitcase. Might bring some sugar, and salt and pepper are not always provided. I bring condiment packs saved through the year for a little mustard, soy to marinate meat, etc. Along with the thought about the knife, TS equipment is unpredictable, but you can often request certain items from housekeeping. Maybe bring your veg peeler--bound to be much better than theirs!

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Agree with spices and zip-lock bags of various sizes, all of which is easy to pack and takes little space. I also throw in a couple laundry pods, softener sheets, and a lingerie bag.

ared505

Reaction score
Yes, yes, on the zip-locks! Some TSs provide laundry deterg, others don't.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bring some zip lock bags for picnic sandwiches, a little coffee and creamer for the first day in case we don't make it to Costco, some baggies of extra laundry detergent and fabric softener sheets, a few spices like Monteral Steak seasoning and tuck in some Cliff Bars which we take on hikes.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy at Costco, Super Target, Safeway etc. No reason to bring anything. Seasonings, fine but otherwise buy it there.

This next bit gets "great idea" or various unpleasant responses but such is the nature of our world today.

If you are staying a while and buying a lot of food, pick up small box of garbage bags at Target or Safeway etc. Send them through the checkout first. Open them and use them to pack your groceries (always gets "great idea!" comments or nasty look responses) since no bags are available at the stores. Makes it easier to carry things into the condo and then you use them for taking trash to the dumpster when you need to. Win Win. We get the larger green ones but smaller ones work too. IF buying small quantities, then not worth it. Used to be able to bring your own bags, cloth or otherwise, but many places, Costco for one, no longer allows them.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check where you are staying, You may be able to send yourself a package in advance. You can at Kohala Suites and Bay Club.

Costco is near the airport. Make a list of what you need and go buy them at Costco on the way to where you are staying, if you arrive in the afternoon. Non perishables can be bought at a grocery store. (which one depends on the area you are staying at. In Kohala, there is a store in Waikiola Village. In Kona there are several. Kona has better selection.)

Oh yes, bring some reusable grocery bags. that will save you money and make eveybody happier, including the environment. Put them on top, because you will use them before anything else in your bags.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The idea of bringing condiment packages is an interesting idea. The last time that I was in the BI Costco, I remember seeing soy sauce in 5 gallon buckets. That is several life-time supplies.

I looked on ebay, and sure enough, people are selling condiment packages. Here is one of the wider assortments: 100 Condiment Packets For Fast Food, Chinese Food, Take Out, And Year Around Dipping. This is a random mixed lot of 100 Packets. You will receive Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Soy Sauce, Hot Sauce, Duck Sauce, Jelly, Peanut Butter, And Dressing.

But I wonder if TSA would be concerned about 100 packages, especially in carry-on ??

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually mail a box to our Hawaii TS resort containing our "condo kit" - mostly kitchen items like sharp knives and small quantities of things we won't use a whole container of (spices, laundry detergent, etc.). That way we can easily travel with just a carryon bag. We don't want to take the chance of not making it this year and having the box tossed, so in May will check a bag with those items and then mail them home to ourselves, priority mail flat rate so we aren't waiting at baggage claim at midnight, tired and hungry from a flight with no food service.

I made a list of what we like to buy when we get there and laminated it, so I can use it for every trip. We usually stop at Long's for toiletries (we tend to stay for 14 nights so can't fit it into a carryon). If you shop at CVS, bring any coupons or load them on the app, as Long's is part of the chain. Since we're checking a bag, I'll just bring what I need this time.

We use laundry sheets (Wash-Eze brand, find them on Amazon). Lightweight and won't spill or leak.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Remember you can pick up many gadgets at Goodwill or a Charity Thrift Store. Then donate them on your way out.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
We have 20 years of experience cooking/grilling at our TS and have developed a list and system for our trips; many of these have already been suggested in this thread. We check a bag with stuff that can't be brought inside the main cabin: a good knife, a 1-gallon ziplock bag with ketchup, mustard, mayo, and soy sauce packets plus small packets of olive oil & vinegar and small containers of salt & pepper, rib rub, Montreal seasoning, sugar packets, etc. Our full-size containers of reef-safe sunscreen go in here as well as it's much less expensive in California than Hawaii (TSA just very recently reversed a decision to allow travelers to bring full-size sunscreen in their carry-ons as 'medically necessary'; smh). We also bring extra laundry pods, dishwasher pods, and dryer sheets, good quality paper napkins, a good wine opener, thin, flexible cutting mats, plus plenty of extra ziplock bags of all sizes. One response above mentioned you cannot bring fresh meat and produce into Hawaii. While I've never tried to bring meat, you can, under certain circumstances, bring fresh produce; I bring washed limes from our tree each January to Maui as the limes in Maui are small, expensive, and yield very little juice. I has to call the State Department of Agriculture to ask about my California limes, which are allowed (Florida, no). I declare the produce on my travel form and am met at the gate by an agent of the Ag Department who checks each lime for evidence of soil and/or insects. Never had a problem. Costco is great for alcohol, milk, cereal, soda, water, etc. and is near each airport on Hawaii Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. We will hit local stores and Farmers' Markets for local fish and produce.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
After many trips only things we bring are fast-food condiment (We collect throughout the year) so that it makes it easier to do.
Only other things is my grill tongs and my thermopen. Most stores in Hawaii (including ABC) will carry Salty Wahine salts and seasoning. Great product and having met the owner Kauai also nice to support local (her sister is Aunty Lilikoi, who jokes she is the sweet one and her sister is the salty one.)
Part of the fun is finding local ingredients.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with the zip lock bags - all sizes. It only took one attack of sugar ants before we learned it if is not in the fridge it is in a ziplock bag. Bring spices you use regularly, a good knife any special foods you can't get on the island i.e. I bring a protein shake mix that I drink in the morning that I can't get on Hawaii. I also bring my own tea and and sweetener as I am particular in those and bring my own pitcher to make the tea. I also bring calamine lotion and as I am a mosquito magnet and can end up with bites before I leave the airport. Everything else we get there. We save for our vacations so when we go we purchase what we like and it is worth not having a hassle of trying to pack very much.

Not a food item but do not forget to bring binoculars. You will so glad you did!

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
I’m in agreement with spices and zip loc bags as well. I also will pack several plastic carry out containers (I have a huge stack that have been through the dishwasher from Chinese carry out in my kitchen). They come in super handy for leftovers; I then just recycle or toss them day of check out (if there’s food in them, it just goes in the trash with the food). They only provide maybe 3 Tupperware containers in the villa, so having a little stack of extra ones is nice. I do bring extra tongs for grilling as well. Tide Pods and dryer sheets I’ll pack too.

Also, I bring shopping bags (hope I remember next trip); I have a couple that are insulated and zip up which I use at home for frozen foods when I grocery shop, but one also will work for bringing canned beverages and snacks to the pool or when driving around for cold waters.

I won’t bring food of any kind, but years ago I did bring some light items like cereal and pasta dishes for my kids when we went to St. Thomas (it was convenient and with one who has food allergies as least I knew he had safe things to start off in the villa).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The insulated Grocery Shopping Bags are also great for picnics.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we fly, we only pack ziploc bags and spices like garlic and onion powder, black pepper grinder and some salt. We also bring gluten-free snacks due to my dietary restrctions. We buy everything else after we get to the resort. Between Costco, Safeway, Foodland and on-site Marketplace they sell everything that you will need. Whatever you don't use, you can leave it for housekeeping, local food bank boxes on location in Hawaii or other TUGers whose travel overlaps yours.

Alaskaliz

Reaction score
We have brought groceries over including meats to HI. My thought is save more $ for activities. Also like to premarinate meat for the grill.
TSA Info Packing MEATS=ALLOWED

Fresh Meat and Seafood

Meat, seafood and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted. You also can pack frozen perishables in your carry-on or checked bags in dry ice. The FAA limits you to five pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented) and marked.
Yes (Special Instructions)Yes
Frozen Food
Meat, seafood, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I live here.

1) Don't go nuts at Costco. Are you going to eat Hawaiian food? Or Costco food? Make that decision now.

2) It would be easier if you divulged where you are staying. If it's the Kona Cost Resort on Alii Drive (right down the road from my farm -- literally), then you have a KTA superstore within walking distance.

3) Think globally, eat locally applies better here than anywhere else. When I'm on the mainland and tell people about my coffee farm, 90% of the people say the same damned thing: "Oy! But it's SOOO EXPENSIVE!" No, it really isn't. And the reason it isn't is because I don't eat Ritz crackers and Capn Crunch cereal. Anything that comes in a box from the mainland costs a fortune. Fish and tropical fruit may as well be free.

4) Speaking of which, there is a guy who sells fish out of the back of a pickup truck most days on Alii, right at the entrance to KTA. That's the best place to buy fish -- and particularly shrimp. Big Island beef (from Parker Ranch, which is the oldest and once largest ranch in the country) is also great. You're not going to find that at Costco.

5) Also speaking of which, buy LOCAL produce. Also pick local produce. Half the people I know keep a bucket of avocados in the back of their truck in the hopes they can give them away. Mangoes, papaya, citrus -- those are essentially free for the asking. There are "honor system" farm stands all over the place. Take some fruit, leave some money. Most of the small coffee farmers (like me) grow all kinds of things besides coffee. Instead of going to the large farms and fighting with busloads of tour groups, call some small farms (the people at Hawaii Mana Farm are friends of mine, try them first) and ask if they'll sell you some fruit.

5) I would rather eat KTA poke three meals a day than Costco bulk food. I feel sorry for the people who won't eat poke. That's like going to France and hating French cuisine. And have a look at KTA and Choicemart (and not Safeway and Costco) -- it's sort of like shopping in a Chinatown. Buy Asian ingredients and do a stir fry.

I live on considerably less here than I do on the mainland. My only real expense is beer, from Kona Brewing. With Ahi at $2/pound (and a sharp filet knife), I can live on that and some occasional chicken and beef.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'd like to add that the farmer's markets aren't nearly as good as just finding farmers. They've become considerably more touristy over the years. I never bother anymore.

And you should definitely eat at Randy's Huli Chicken (get a whole chicken), Super J's, and Manago Hotel along with as much poke as you can.

EDIT -- One of the big reasons I live here is the quality of seafood and produce. The tomatoes I grow taste better than any tomato I've ever eaten, outside of Italy. I eat fish at least once a day. I have tropical fruit and citrus whenever I want it -- just pick some from the tree. Lemons and limes are all-year crops. So are avocados, papaya and guava. I get oranges three months each year. Mangoes one month. Quality of life is off the scale here compared to the mainland. Don't make the mistake of coming here and eating the same agricorp food most people get on the mainland.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Last time I missed having a wine stopper, Unless you drink the whole bottle at once. The souvenir one I found at ABC was not very good so that is coming with me this summer.