• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii [may] require booster to be fully vaccinated and avoid quarantine

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Article says rule to go into effect January 24.
No. Not for travel to Hawaii.

"Last month, Maui Mayor Michael Victorino revealed booster shots would be required for locals to be considered fully vaccinated. The rule was supposed to go into effect on Jan. 8 but was delayed until Jan. 24 so people have time to schedule booster shots, reported KHON 2."

That's just the rule for Maui locals to eat indoors.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am assuming if you are already on the island you are okay

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Article is dated Jan 17. I read 2 weeks from now or Jan 31.

This is old news that is just being picked up by ABC and other national media, but it was first reported in Hawaii last week. Gov Ige's comments were made last week and reported then by the Honolulu Star Advertiser. He was saying they would likely make the change to the definition of fully-vaccinated to include a booster, but no official announcement has been made as far as I have seen, and his implication then was that the implementation date would be no sooner than two weeks after any official announcement to allow time for people to adjust. As I said, I've seen nothing in the Hawaii press that indicates anything official has been announced beyond the Governor's comment on January 10 or 11. As a result, I don't think there is an implementation date that has been set.

Here is a report from last week on what he said from Hawaii News Now, and the ABC report actually linked to this almost week-old story

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/...afe-travels-program-booster-soon-be-required/

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shoddy reporting by ABC, as explained above.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Shoddy reporting by ABC, as explained above.
And every other Mainland news source. There are the same people that made it should like the entirety of the Big Island was going to explode or sink into the ocean when the last eruption started.

This statement is simply not accurate:
"Hawaii will likely require visitors to the state to have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster if they want to skip quarantine."

Best to trust local news sources for this type of information.

They also make it sound like you won't be able to travel to Hawai`i if you are not vaccinated with a booster. There is absolutely no indication from official sources own Hawai`i that the option to have a pre-test prior to arrival is going to be eliminated.

As of this moment, there has still been no official date for the implementation of the booster requirement.

Lt. Governor Dr. Green has been pushing for this for weeks.

Last edited:

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
And every other Mainland news source. There are the same people that made it should like the entirety of the Big Island was going to explode or sink into the ocean when the last eruption started.

This statement is simply not accurate:
"Hawaii will likely require visitors to the state to have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster if they want to skip quarantine."

Best to trust local news sources for this type of information.

They also make it sound like you won't be able to travel to Hawai`i if you are not vaccinated with a booster. There is absolutely no indication from official sources own Hawai`i that the option to have a pre-test prior to arrival is going to be eliminated.

As of this moment, there has still been no official date for the implementation of the booster requirement.

Lt. Governor Dr. Green has been pushing for this for weeks.

Not sure the date of this interview, but it was clearly before Dec 31.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure the date of this interview, but it was clearly before Dec 31.
It was Dec. 27th 2021

Here is the latest from one of our local news sources. I expect that boosters will be required 2 weeks after they complete these modifications. As hard as it seems these changes are being pushed , I might guess that boosters may be required as early a 3 weeks from now. Later than I would have liked but still a good thing,

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I guess by adding a booster requirement for use of vaccines as the method of being exempt from quarantine they hope/expect to reduce the risk of the person needing hospital care in Hawaii. Testing 3 days before is probably the weak link, however. If you are not vaccinated at all you can still come, and with omicron you have a couple days + airport + airplane + airport + Hawaii opportunities to become infected while there and are far MORE likely to need a hospital. Rather than adding booster (or in addition to it) I’d probably have tightened up a lot on those not fully vaccinated. Test closer to flight. Test on arrival. Test 1-2 days after arrival. Something like that.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We were on Oahu i early December, took a private island tour. We had interesting conversation with the guide, he was more afraid of unvaccinated locals than the tourists he knew were vaxxed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess by adding a booster requirement for use of vaccines as the method of being exempt from quarantine they hope/expect to reduce the risk of the person needing hospital care in Hawaii. Testing 3 days before is probably the weak link, however. If you are not vaccinated at all you can still come, and with omicron you have a couple days + airport + airplane + airport + Hawaii opportunities to become infected while there and are far MORE likely to need a hospital. Rather than adding booster (or in addition to it) I’d probably have tightened up a lot on those not fully vaccinated. Test closer to flight. Test on arrival. Test 1-2 days after arrival. Something like that.
The goal is to keep hospitalizations at a manageable level. Over the summer Hawai`i was about two dozen beds away from having to ration medical care. For a while the Big Island had arrival testing them switched to random percentage testing and then it was eliminated.

With all of the current testing of residents there isn't the capacity to test 100% of the visitors after arrival. only about 10% of arrivals are unvaccinated.
So, yes, testing at least a percentage of unvaccinated arrivals would be a good idea.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were on Oahu i early December, took a private island tour. We had interesting conversation with the guide, he was more afraid of unvaccinated locals than the tourists he knew were vaxxed.
Exactly. Visitors are at least either vaccinated or tested. We shop late if able to avoid crowds. Stay away from the beaches on weekends. If locals would stay away from large groups for a while we would be in much better shape. over 6000 new cases yesterday. Big Island reached 2.5% infection rate. So far the hospital capacities are doing ok. The labor force on the other hand is taking quite a hit.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Exactly. Visitors are at least either vaccinated or tested. We shop late if able to avoid crowds. Stay away from the beaches on weekends. If locals would stay away from large groups for a while we would be in much better shape. over 6000 new cases yesterday. Big Island reached 2.5% infection rate. So far the hospital capacities are doing ok. The labor force on the other hand is taking quite a hit.
I am not now and have never been too convinced that the pre-travel testing option is very effective, even more so now with omicron and it's shorter incubation time. The hospitals are doing okay because a lot of people are vaccinated, many of those that are not are also younger and less likely to be hospitalized, and omicron is less severe in many people. Collectively, that greatly reduces the hospital concerns even with the large number of cases.

Regarding case counts, it's going to start dropping. Here is the Los Angeles County graph:

1642641506371.png

Though the 7-day average hasn't dropped much yet, look at the last three days. (We don't have 1-19 data yet.) It shows about a 50% drop.

And here is NYC:

1642641699049.png

Pretty easy to see the rapid drop in cases occurring in NYC, and seemingly in LA also (too early to be sure though).

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not now and have never been too convinced that the pre-travel testing option is very effective, even more so now with omicron and it's shorter incubation time. ...
If you look at the data for percentage of arrival case contributions they have remained constant between 3% (delta and earlier and 4% currently. Visitor rates have remained unchanged the entire time at 1%. In any case they remaina small factor with poor resident behavior (community spread - parties and gatherings) being our biggest problem.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
If you look at the data for percentage of arrival case contributions they have remained constant between 3% (delta and earlier and 4% currently. Visitor rates have remained unchanged the entire time at 1%. In any case they remaina small factor with poor resident behavior (community spread - parties and gatherings) being our biggest problem.
While not what some want to say, that doesn't appear to be in doubt at all. I suspect a visitor/tourist is a lot more likely to CATCH it in Hawaii than BRING it to Hawaii.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect a visitor/tourist is a lot more likely to CATCH it in Hawaii than BRING it to Hawaii.
Yep. Or in an airport on the way home. We are fortunate that all or our flights have had no mainland stops. Most everyone is vaccinated and nearly all that aren't are tested (within 72 hours coming home and 10 days going - hope they didn't catch it here)

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yep. Or in an airport on the way home. We are fortunate that all or our flights have had no mainland stops. Most everyone is vaccinated and nearly all that aren't are tested (within 72 hours coming home and 10 days going - hope they didn't catch it here)
I read a piece recently about the "safest" place to sit on a plane. It basically addressed the obvious -- from any given seat, how many others are there within a certain distance from you. Worst was a middle seat on a group of 3, typical economy seating. You have 3 behind you, 3 in front of you, and one on either side. 8 people in close proximity. Best is first or last row of first/business, window seat. Only 3 near you, and they are farther away.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Report from known Hawaii traveler just back from Hawaii (getting specific island) who said she only had to have her vax card with her - no testing required.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Testing hasn't been required for vaccinated travelers for a long time.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Our next few flights are 2 in 2/3 or 2/4/2 premium extra space:whooopie:
If on Hawaiian Air, make sure you bring some wired headphones or ear plugs. Or $4. I spent 15 min trying to figure out why WiFi didn't work on my iPad. Turned out they didn't use WiFi, they had the old fashioned screens you'd pull up from between the seats. My Apple Airpods were not much help.