• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii to require 14-day quarantine of incoming air passengers [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Less reported today than yesterday. Got to stay focused now. Less distractions should help.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that you have taken this thread away from the topic.
You are correct. We have wandered off topic. My apologies for contributing to that.

Kapolei

Reaction score
You are correct. We have wandered off topic. My apologies for contributing to that.

No need apologize. We got far bigger worries than the distinction between Hawaii government and Hawaiian government. The other guy can win the discussion. It is not a contest as to who gets the last word in.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
No need apologize. We got far bigger worries than the distinction between Hawaii government and Hawaiian government. The other guy can win the discussion. It is not a contest as to who gets the last word in.

I agree, it is clear that people in Hawaii DO NOT want additional people coming there from other areas that may bring additional the virus to the islands. That goes for Hawaiians, non Hawaiian residents, and the Government! The 14 day quarantine is a nice way of dictating, DON'T COME.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I agree, it is clear that people in Hawaii DO NOT want additional people coming there from other areas that may bring additional the virus to the islands. That goes for Hawaiians, non Hawaiian residents, and the Government! The 14 day quarantine is a nice way of dictating, DON'T COME.

The governor has been very effective here. Tourism is now closed. However, we want this to end as soon as possible so we can reopen for business. Despite all our internal grumbling and discontent, we live in the greatest of the fifty states. Nothing comes close. I am not going to debate this.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The governor has been very effective here. Tourism is now closed. However, we want this to end as soon as possible so we can reopen for business. Despite all our internal grumbling and discontent, we live in the greatest of the fifty states. Nothing comes close. I am not going to debate this.

I totally agree with you and agree with Governor Ige with his proclamation, I would have done the same thing. When I heard that Hotels were closing I said that the first thing I would do is stop people from coming so the census in the Hotels was low before they close. I was in Hawaii from December 7-March 23 in Timeshares and I only left when HGVC told us that they wouldn't be keeping the timeshare open and I didn't want to be searching around for a place to stay during this virus spread and there was limited air travel off the island. We caught the second to last direct flight from Honolulu to JFK with no one siting near us and only very limited bathroom usage, which I cleaned intensely with disinfectant wipes before my husband and I went in. There was no one going through Security, the deplaning was quick and we had no luggage. I am not debating this, it is good for the people in Hawaii; but is it is fact:

"people in Hawaii DO NOT want additional people coming there from other areas that may bring additional the virus to the islands. That goes for Hawaiians, non Hawaiian residents, and the Government! The 14 day quarantine is a nice way of dictating, DON'T COME."

Kapolei

Reaction score
Glad you had a nice trip back. I am praying for NY. The people are definitely following orders here. I have been out to get supplies and it is a ghost town. Everyone is being careful. We are definitely 1000 times better off than we were a week ago.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad you had a nice trip back. I am praying for NY. The people are definitely following orders here. I have been out to get supplies and it is a ghost town. Everyone is being careful. We are definitely 1000 times better off than we were a week ago.

We are in our private house in the middle of the woods on Long Island with no elevators to deal with to get in and out. We can get deliveries right to our front door and have cars to pick up stuff that we order for pick up. One of the things that urged us to go back home was that Waikiki was a ghost town and we started to not feel as safe as we always do when we are there walking around. People here are staying in their houses only going out to pick up food. Hopefully the spread slows and ceases all across the world.

Hawaiibarb

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who are wondering if this edict re visitors and returning residents is official, it definitely is. At first, we were told a warning would be issued initially, but now they are going straight to citations, and fines can be up to $5000. Hawaii is not your dream vacation right now.....so much is closed e.g. restaurants, nightclubs, parks, beaches, all the special attractions. Those of us not under quarantine are directed to stay at home; we can go to the grocery store, get gas, go to limited banks, get take-out food. Frankly, everybody has to do their part. There are the idiots who think the virus wouldn't effect them, but they ignore the fact that they could pass it on to others. We'll get through this, but save your visit to Hawaii once we can get back to normal.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those who are wondering if this edict re visitors and returning residents is official, it definitely is. At first, we were told a warning would be issued initially, but now they are going straight to citations, and fines can be up to $5000. Hawaii is not your dream vacation right now.....so much is closed e.g. restaurants, nightclubs, parks, beaches, all the special attractions. Those of us not under quarantine are directed to stay at home; we can go to the grocery store, get gas, go to limited banks, get take-out food. Frankly, everybody has to do their part. There are the idiots who think the virus wouldn't effect them, but they ignore the fact that they could pass it on to others. We'll get through this, but save your visit to Hawaii once we can get back to normal.

You said this very well. It couldn't have said it better. That is certainly part of the reasons we left last Tuesday. As I said on another tread Waikiki is now more like Molokai than Waikiki!!

Kapolei

Reaction score
We really had the potential to be the next New York. I am cautiously optimistic we will avoid that type of growth rate. People are scared now and paying attention. I hope we didn’t shut down too late.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
We really had the potential to be the next New York. I am cautiously optimistic we will avoid that type of growth rate. People are scared now and paying attention. I hope we didn’t shut down too late.

In addition some of the guests who are currently here are insulting the workers who are trying to do their job and not get infected:
Big Island resort worker asks mainland tourists to show aloha during crisis
Among her nightmare stories, a guest from San Francisco used racial slurs and said hotel staff should be grateful that tourists give them jobs.
Saturday, March 28th 2020, 11:26 AM HST by Annalisa Burgos

On the Big Island, a handful of resorts remain open to serve flight crews, essential workers from neighboring islands, and dozens of mainland tourists waiting out the COVID-19 crisis.

A hotel union worker who asked not to be identified says she and her colleagues are shocked by the attitude of visitors who feel entitled to access and services despite the state's "Stay at Home" order.

"If you're going to come to escape your own city, town, state's rules and regulations for lockdown, why are you here? And then being rude on top of it and sometimes quite abusive.," she said.

Among her nightmare stories, a guest from San Francisco used racial slurs and said hotel staff should be grateful that tourists give them jobs.

She said guests are extending stays, paying as much as $200 a night, but are ignoring restrictions on where they can go.

And while the state can't ban visitors outright, hospitality workers are asking tourists to show aloha to people working during the crisis.

"We're all in this together, we're all having to go through this. And it's not easy, you know, we are all worried whether or not we are essential workers or not. We all have families to go home to also," she said.

Kapolei

Reaction score
In addition some of the guests who are currently here are insulting the workers who are trying to do their job and not get infected:
Big Island resort worker asks mainland tourists to show aloha during crisis
Saturday, March 28th 2020, 11:26 AM HST by Annalisa Burgos

On the Big Island, a handful of resorts remain open to serve flight crews, essential workers from neighboring islands, and dozens of mainland tourists waiting out the COVID-19 crisis.

A hotel union worker who asked not to be identified says she and her colleagues are shocked by the attitude of visitors who feel entitled to access and services despite the state's "Stay at Home" order.

"If you're going to come to escape your own city, town, state's rules and regulations for lockdown, why are you here? And then being rude on top of it and sometimes quite abusive.," she said.

She said guests are extending stays, paying as much as $200 a night, but are ignoring restrictions on where they can go.

And while the state can't ban visitors outright, hospitality workers are asking tourists to show aloha to people working during the crisis.

"We're all in this together, we're all having to go through this. And it's not easy, you know, we are all worried whether or not we are essential workers or not. We all have families to go home to also," she said.

I have mixed feelings about this kind of journalism. It rarely reflects reality. It is often a snapshot of a bad episode or episodes. We need to hear the good right now. Not the bad.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have mixed feelings about this kind of journalism. It rarely reflects reality. It is often a snapshot of a bad episode or episodes. We need to hear the good right now. Not the bad.

I agree with your comment, we definitely need to hear the good right now. As in most situations there are individual people who act out of line. I am sure there are tourists that feel that they are entitled as described here and we know that there is racism in the USA. We also know that there are essential workers during this stressful time that are either not going to work or taking extra precautions when they do go to work and not giving their job the usual bright happy Aloha. If you are being helped at all during this crisis by others you should be thankful. Think of where we as a society would be right now if all of the essential workers stayed home!!

Kapolei

Reaction score
[Merged into existing thread]

I am starting this thread to discuss the status of COVID-19 in Hawaii and the quarantine on out of state arrivals.

From 4/5/20 Star Advertiser,

“The individual passed this morning, and based on preliminary information, this case was travel-related in that the person may have been exposed to someone who had traveled,” said Hawaii COVID-19 Joint Information Center spokesman Dan Dennison in a news release today. “The Department of Health offers its deep condolences to the family and friends of the individual at this difficult and sad time.”

Health officials said the state’s tally of coronavirus cases has risen to 351, up 32 from Friday. Two minors are among the new cases. All four Hawaii deaths have occurred on Oahu.

Last edited by a moderator:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

...The state wasn’t able to give us a number of exactly how many homeless people have arrived in Hawaii since the traveler quarantine started last Thursday.
Hawaii News Now has received multiple reports from airline workers and official sources who say since the quarantine began at least three people with nowhere to go touched down at Honolulu’s airports.
Sources said workers wrote down the address of a homeless shelter on their paperwork and let them go.
The state didn’t confirm or deny the accusation but did acknowledge interactions with several homeless people who’d just gotten off of airplanes.
“I know of at least one on Oahu that was put into the homeless shelter. The recently stood up homeless shelter,” said Hara. “Then there were three that went to Kauai. All three were arrested.”
In the week prior to quarantine measures going into effect, the city confirms five homeless people landed in Honolulu.
The executive director of the Mayor’s Housing Office believes it’s likely a result of the cheap airfare and the fact that homeless sweeps have been suspended.
“I think people see this as an opportunity to come here,” said Marc Alexander. “There is no evidence of other states or municipalities sending homeless people here to Hawaii.”
The Hawaii Tourism Authority is helping to pay for airfare so people can return to the city they flew in from.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with you about the need for tourism to keep Hawaii in the black and with jobs. I also agree that I am worried about the people who work in the Disney parks as well as other amusement parks, theaters(New York City is dead), wait staff at restaurants all over the country, and airline staff etc.

From a different perspective; we all are aware about the need for first responders and medical professionals who are desperately needed right now and are putting their lives in danger every day. While they may not be in as much danger since they don't deal with sick people, we need to recognize the food system processors, who may not be as much in danger since they don't deal with sick people, but are desperately needed! From pickers, to bakers, to packers, to shippers, to personal shoppers, to delivery people etc. If they are sick or don't work for fear of contamination we don't eat!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am very concerned that our trip to Kauai will be cancelled for 6/6-6/20. Rick is somewhat optimistic. I just keep thinking of all of the tourism and restaurants and the people who depend on that for a living. Certainly Hawaii will want visitors soon. I am not cancelling until there is an announcement of a date in the range that covers our trip. If they say 5/31, that won't make me cancel. We will see.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am very concerned that our trip to Kauai will be cancelled for 6/6-6/20. Rick is somewhat optimistic. I just keep thinking of all of the tourism and restaurants and the people who depend on that for a living. Certainly Hawaii will want visitors soon. I am not cancelling until there is an announcement of a date in the range that covers our trip. If they say 5/31, that won't make me cancel. We will see.

The isolation rules in each state keep rolling forward. Perhaps you will be good by June. However, Hawaii is behind New York and other states as far as the peaking of the virus. Most probably it will be behind Colorado so while you may be good to fly out, you may not be good to fly into Kauai or safe to be in Kauai. I believe that the numbers that I have seen in Kauai are some of the lowest in the country so if they stay that way it is possible that there will be NO virus in Kauai by June. Good Luck

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The isolation rules in each state keep rolling forward. Perhaps you will be good by June. However, Hawaii is behind New York and other states as far as the peaking of the virus. Most probably it will be behind Colorado so while you may be good to fly out, you may not be good to fly into Kauai or safe to be in Kauai. I believe that the numbers that I have seen in Kauai are some of the lowest in the country so if they stay that way it is possible that there will be NO virus in Kauai by June. Good Luck
Where you are getting that data from?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/hawaii appears to say something different. By mid-May it shows zero patients in the hospital state-wide and zero deaths from late April on. Since about 20% of those infected need to be hospitalized, that would suggest not more than about 5 patients with the disease by mid-May in the entire state.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/hawaii appears to say something different. By mid-May it shows zero patients in the hospital state-wide and zero deaths from late April on. Since about 20% of those infected need to be hospitalized, that would suggest not more than about 5 patients with the disease by mid-May in the entire state.

The numbers have changed since I last looked at them. Hawaii was peaking in May. If Hawaii does peak in 4 days as the latest chart says and there are NO cases in mid May then certainly it will be fine to be in Hawaii in June. Since I am planning on a late September trip that will include moving into our condo I certainly would love it to be over in June and go feeling like this was just a bad dream that is over.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The numbers have changed since I last looked at them. Hawaii was peaking in May. If Hawaii does peak in 4 days as the latest chart says and there are NO cases in mid May then certainly it will be fine to be in Hawaii in June. Since I am planning on a late September trip that will include moving into our condo I certainly would love it to be over in June and go feeling like this was just a bad dream that is over.

Are you going to be moving permanently then?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

By the way I just looked at the same data for New York and they show NO cases in May for New York. Since over 700 people died yesterday in NY and there are thousand new cases each day to believe that it will be over in 3 weeks in NY seems like fantasy not a bad dream!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
By the way I just looked at the same data for New York and they show NO cases in May for New York. Since over 700 people died yesterday in NY and there are thousand new cases each day to believe that it will be over in 3 weeks in NY seems like fantasy not a bad dream!
To start - a quibble. The charts do not show cases. They show no new cases. So it isn't saying COVID-19 will be gone. They are indicating no new cases - and assuming current control measures remain in effect.

What they are showing for New York is what herd immunity - the unflattened curve - looks like. New York is a combination of authorities being slow to act, combined with conditions (high population density) that are extremely favorable for disease transmission. By the time NY authorities acted it was out of control, and the social distancing measures had relatively little effect.

Also note that the graph assumes the continuation of whatever control measures are being used. So essentially it is saying that whomever has exposure under current conditions will have had it and will have either survived or died, or will still be in treatment. Now, the control measures have protected some people. So as those measures are lifted or relaxed, new cases will occur. But those types of cases are not shown in the model results. Separately, IHME is providing input to public health officials on how the curves change if assumed control measures are changed. But that isn't shown on the link they have up for public consumption.

So yes, it makes perfect sense that the chart is showing no cases in May for New York. New York is the picture of the unflattened curve. As was being discussed here several weeks ago, the fastest way to get through the pandemic is to take no precautions and let the virus rip through the population as an the unflattened curve.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Remember that those 700 were first infected in March. The issue is new infections. Mortality trails by 1-2 weeks, sometimes 3. So as the number that die starts dropping, it means the number of new infections dropped a week or two earlier. Also, the model ASSUMES good effective social distancing. To the extent a community does not comply, the model will be wrong. As it says, "COVID-19 projections assuming full social distancing through May 2020." NY may not achieve that, and it will extend the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.