• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii to require 14-day quarantine of incoming air passengers [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapolei

Reaction score
How exactly are they going to enforce this? Do they post a guard outside your hotel room? Is the Hawaiian government converting the local high school gym into the quarantine central lock down facility? The honor system? On people who disregarded the governors request they not show up to begin with? Maybe the governor is hoping enough people are scared by this so called quarantine that they decide to cancel and it pushes airlines to just cancel their flights.

There is two things going on. Quarantine for arrivals to State and stay at home for everyone for City and County of Honolulu and other rules which may be Island/county dependent. Info is available on the respective websites. If you are an arrival, I think you are going to be filling out the form before you get off the plane declaring your place of quarantine. I recommend everyone educate yourselves in advance. You will likely get educated along the way. Don’t set yourself up for more than you bargained for.

Things are changing quickly. Take a look at the Hawaiian Airlines site. You might not even be able to arrive. These orders have teeth.

Also, it is not normally referred to as the Hawaiian government. Just a minor point on common usage.

Last edited:

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is two things going on. Quarantine for arrivals to State and stay at home for everyone for City and County of Honolulu and other rules which may be Island/county dependent. Info is available on the respective websites. If you are an arrival, I think you are going to be filling out the form before you get off the plane declaring your place of quarantine. I recommend everyone educate yourselves in advance. You will likely get educated along the way. Don’t set yourself up for more than you bargained for.

Things are changing quickly. Take a look at the Hawaiian Airlines site. You might not even be able to arrive. These orders have teeth.

Also, it is not normally referred to as the Hawaiian government. Just a minor point on common usage.

Ok, but the quarantine order has “teeth” how? How does the Hawaiian gov intend to enforce this?

I was referring to the state gov as the Hawaiian gov in order to clarify who I was talking about, as opposed to just saying “they” or something similar.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Ok, but the quarantine order has “teeth” how? How does the Hawaiian gov intend to enforce this?

I was referring to the state gov as the Hawaiian gov in order to clarify who I was talking about, as opposed to just saying “they” or something similar.

Hawaii is not a country. I am going to ignore you at this point.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

What Kapolei is getting at.

Do you refer to your state government as the Texan government? Or the Texas government? The New York government or the New Yorker government? The Minnesota government or the Minnesotan government?

In English, we use the possessive with government when we are talking about a foreign country. The Russian government. The British government. The Mexican government. The Canadian government.

By using Hawaiian government you are implying that Hawaii is not part of the United States. And that is a very sensitive point for people on the Islands, because there are many mainlanders who seem to act like Hawaii is not part of the USA.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
What about visitors that are already in Hawaii?

I know we have some tug members there. It’s probably safer to stay than to fly back to the mainland. They are going to quarantine people on incoming flights, what about pilots and stewardess. What about outbound flights so visitors that arrived before the quarantine can depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The order is specific that it does not pertain to visitors already in Hawaii and it also does not pertain to airline flight crews.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Interval request, which had been placed a year ago-- just came through-- Maui May 29th. ...and the Interval rep seemed surprised when I called to turn it down.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
How exactly are they going to enforce this? Do they post a guard outside your hotel room? Is the Hawaiian government converting the local high school gym into the quarantine central lock down facility? The honor system? On people who disregarded the governors request they not show up to begin with? Maybe the governor is hoping enough people are scared by this so called quarantine that they decide to cancel and it pushes airlines to just cancel their flights.

I have no idea how they plan to enforce this. I live in Ca, and our shelter in place order seem to have had a big effect, but there are still people that ignore the order.

Personally i am following the Ca State order, and now canceled my trip to Hawaii in accordance with their orders.

I have no desire to test the rules. While I will miss my vacation, and am uncertain how usable the credits i will get the United, MVC and Hawaiian Air its seem any trip trip i did take would be the pleasant relaxing trip i had originally planned.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you refer to your state government as the Texan government? Or the Texas government? The New York government or the New Yorker government? The Minnesota government or the Minnesotan government?

In English, we use the possessive with government when we are talking about a foreign country. The Russian government. The British government. The Mexican government. The Canadian government.

By using Hawaiian government you are implying that Hawaii is not part of the United States. And that is a very sensitive point for people on the Islands, because there are many mainlanders who seem to act like Hawaii is not part of the USA.

If I am trying to disambiguate, then yes. For example, they issued a shelter in place order. Who is they?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If I am trying to disambiguate, then yes. For example, they issued a shelter in place order. Who is they?
It's very easy. Instead of "they" you can be specific. The state of......, the city of...... Or to be more specific, the governor of the state of....... or the mayor of the city of....... That is how these orders are being announced.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Hawaiian Airlines has suspended most flights to/from the mainland:
Hawaiian Airlines US routes effective 3/26/20.

Boston-Honolulu. Suspended.
Las Vegas-Honolulu. Suspended.
Las Vegas-Maui. Suspended.
Los Angeles-Honolulu. 1 round trip flight daily.
Los Angeles-Kona. Suspended.
Los Angeles-Lihue. Suspended.
Long Beach-Honolulu. Suspended.
New York-Honolulu. Suspended.
Oakland-Honolulu. Suspended.
Oakland-Lihue. Suspended.
Oakland-Maui. Suspended.
Phoenix-Honolulu. Suspended.
Portland-Honolulu. Suspended.
Portland-Maui. Suspended.
Sacramento-Honolulu. Suspended.
Sacramento-Maui. Suspended.
San Diego-Honolulu. Suspended.
San Diego-Maui. Suspended.
San Francisco-Honolulu. Suspended.
San Francisco-Maui. Suspended.
San Jose-Honolulu. Suspended.
San Jose-Maui. Suspended.
Seattle-Honolulu. Suspended.
Seattle-Maui. Suspended.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how they plan to enforce this. I live in Ca, and our shelter in place order seem to have had a big effect, but there are still people that ignore the order.

Personally i am following the Ca State order, and now canceled my trip to Hawaii in accordance with their orders.

I have no desire to test the rules. While I will miss my vacation, and am uncertain how usable the credits i will get the United, MVC and Hawaiian Air its seem any trip trip i did take would be the pleasant relaxing trip i had originally planned.

Yeah, our Hawaiian vacation is now canceled as well. As you say, not the pleasant relaxing trip we had planned.

I’m not looking to break any rules either, but I can see a bunch of folks taking advantage of discounted flights and hotels to go. If the quarantine order has no method of enforcement, then you are asking people who are already disregarding Gov. Ige’s request to play nice. I am not sure that is going to work.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yeah, our Hawaiian vacation is now canceled as well. As you say, not the pleasant relaxing trip we had planned.

I’m not looking to break any rules either, but I can see a bunch of folks taking advantage of discounted flights and hotels to go. If the quarantine order has no method of enforcement, then you are asking people who are already disregarding Gov. Ige’s request to play nice. I am not sure that is going to work.
Maybe all the state of Hawaii would have to do is catch a few of these offenders, slap a huge fine on them, detain them or send them home to send the message.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Or instead of saying "Hawaiian government" you could say "Hawaii government" - just as you would say the Texas government and not the Texan government. The point is that in language locution conveys meaning. If Hawaii is part of the US, then locution that denotes it as a foreign government is not correct.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very easy. Instead of "they" you can be specific. The state of......, the city of...... Or to be more specific, the governor of the state of....... or the mayor of the city of....... That is how these orders are being announced.

I did that and Kapolei got bent out of shape over it.

My statement was “Is the Hawaiian government converting the local high school gym into the quarantine central lock down facility?”

I would not state “Is the governor of Hawaii...” because the governor would direct his government to do it (probably through the use of the National Guard which are attached to Hawaii).

Or instead of saying "Hawaiian government" you could say "Hawaii government" - just as you would say the Texas government and not the Texan government. The point is that in language locution conveys meaning. If Hawaii is part of the US, then locution that denotes it as a foreign government is not correct.

Actually, in Texas, you would be fine stating “Texan”.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Anyone coming to the islands now would not have the best experience. Most, if not all beaches are closed, no dine-in restaurants and the ones that are doing take-out are closing daily, all attractions are closed. Not much to do.

fawright

TUG Member
Reaction score
HAL is cancelling all mainland flights except one per day (#1 & #2 LAX-HNL) as of Thurs 3/26.
From HAL Website -
"Our regular flight schedule will be maintained through Wednesday, March 25 to allow guests to return home before we begin suspending most of our North America and International routes for the remainder of March, except for one daily nonstop flight between Honolulu (HNL) and Los Angeles (LAX) and one weekly HNL-American Samoa (PPG) flight."

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
At least he has an end date. In the news conference he mentioned indefinitely until otherwise noted. Our trip begins May 30. So if the world is burning by that date, we'll bring marshmallows.
Would you like to go a week earlier? I have a 2BR OF at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club from May 23-30 that I may not be able to use now.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
All of the Marriotts on the Big Island are closing to all guests starting on Sunday through the end of May (Westin Hapuna, Mauna Kea, Waikoloa Beach, Waikoloa Ocean Club). The Mauna Lani Auberge is also closing through the end of April. The govenor has just issued a stay at home order for all residents and non-essential businesses to close: Facilities ordered closed under the proclamation include: fitness centers and gyms; locations with amusement rides; carnivals; water parks; aquariums; zoos; museums; arcades; fairs; children’s play centers; playgrounds; funplexes; theme parks; bowling alleys; movie and other theaters; concert and music halls; and social clubs.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In most of the world, containment and isolation is not a feasible strategy because there are too many ways for the virus to spread. It's just not possible to completely prevent ingress and egress from a region.

But that does remain a viable strategy for island regions, because in those areas it is possible to lock down the region and control arrivals. So unlike in the mainland, implementation of these control measures, combined with tracking of confirmed cases, actually does stand a chance of success. But to make that work, Hawaii needs to move quickly to large scale testing, a la South Korea, so that they know they have identified all of the outbreak pockets.

Kapolei

Reaction score
In most of the world, containment and isolation is not a feasible strategy because there are too many ways for the virus to spread. It's just not possible to completely prevent ingress and egress from a region.

But that does remain a viable strategy for island regions, because in those areas it is possible to lock down the region and control arrivals. So unlike in the mainland, implementation of these control measures, combined with tracking of confirmed cases, actually does stand a chance of success. But to make that work, Hawaii needs to move quickly to large scale testing, a la South Korea, so that they know they have identified all of the outbreak pockets.

I agree with this. We can end up with a very positive outcome or a very negative outcome because we are an island state. Hopefully things were not shut down too late. But the shut down is huge and may put us in very good shape. Continuing to pray to Father Damien for some intervention from above and some good luck.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina

LOL

Kapolei

Reaction score

The added complication is that there are Hawaiians that want a government. So when you say Hawaiian government, people that live here are wondering where you came from. I politely told the poster that it wasn’t normal usage. People can say whatever they want. The sad thing is trying to educate them. LOL

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
The added complication is that there are Hawaiians that want a government. So when you say Hawaiian government, people that live here are wondering where you came from. I politely told the poster that it wasn’t normal usage. People can say whatever they want. The sad thing is trying to educate them. LOL

Yep. My sister in law is an advocate for an independent Hawaiian state.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

LOL

So there is no government in Hawaii?

The sad thing is that you have taken this thread away from the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.