• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii to require 14-day quarantine of incoming air passengers [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am a resident of Oahu. If I had to self quarantine, it would have been the same as staying here at MKO. The only difference is I would have food and groceries delivered for the 14 days of quarantine instead of going out and buying it myself.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Is there a service in Hawaii that will deliver groceries? In Florida, we use Instacart. I was wondering if there was a similar service in Hawaii.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Is there a service in Hawaii that will deliver groceries? In Florida, we use Instacart. I was wondering if there was a similar service in Hawaii.
Instacart is available here also. I know you can Instacart from Costco and Target at least on Oahu. Probably more vendors than Costco and Target but I know those two participate with instacart for sure.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There are a lot of retired people on the islands, most especially Maui. Kauai still doesn't like "foreigners" retiring on their island. That is the place I get stink eye a lot, especially in Kapaa, for whatever reason.

After whale season is over, the companies with all of those boats have very little business in good times. They depend on whale season for most of their business for the year. Whale watches abruptly ended mid-March. Molokini snorkel trips this summer will not make up for the loss in income.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I don't see how HI will ever meet the 'guidelines' They have had so few cases, an increase of 5 or 6 might statistically be a huge jump.
Hard to have a "downward trend" for two weeks when you are starting with only 3 or 4. However, given their near zero deaths and < 4 or so new cases day in and day out, it's pretty clear they are under control and can start opening up to local residents and business.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I don't see how HI will ever meet the 'guidelines' They have had so few cases, an increase of 5 or 6 might statistically be a huge jump.

‘From the fed agency website...
‘State and local officials may need to tailor the application of these criteria to local circumstances (e.g., metropolitan areas that have suffered severe COVID outbreaks, rural and suburban areas where outbreaks have not occurred or have been mild.”

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Then if there’s a positive, everyone in the terminal goes into quarantine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or perhaps everyone in that city or .... what the heck... the entire state?

If the person was wearing a mask (after all, they are required by law. If they don't protect people then why are we being required to use them?), what is the chance that they infected others in the terminal? Not zero, but probably pretty low. Lots of zeros...

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

If the person was wearing a mask (after all, they are required by law. If they don't protect people then why are we being required to use them?), what is the chance that they infected others in the terminal? Not zero, but probably pretty low. Lots of zeros...

My reply was after another post re testing after arrival which was suggested would mean that everyone on the plane would need to be tested and isolate, etc.

Masks is another conversation, but I’m glad to learn you’re wearing one. I hope everyone does.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good question.

What would the latest panacea "contact tracing" look like for someone who tested positive for CV-19 while surrounded by hundreds just in that moment? Contacts who are about to board planes to who-knows-where?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
My reply was after another post re testing after arrival which was suggested would mean that everyone on the plane would need to be tested and isolate, etc.

Masks is another conversation, but I’m glad to learn you’re wearing one. I hope everyone does.

I have to add some humor to all the conversation about the coronavirus. With everyone wearing masks if someone gets robbed and the police ask what did the person look like the person would respond, "I don't know but she/he was wearing a mask".

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
It does not look as if the 14 day quarantine will end on June 1. We were told from a friend who is furloughed from the Auberge Mauna Lani (currently closed) that they are not taking reservations until at least mid summer with a plan to possible open again sometime in August. This is the latest from our local station:

By Lynn Kawano | May 8, 2020 at 5:36 PM HST - Updated May 8 at 6:41 PM
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Hawaii Tourism Authority asked the hotels that are still open to voluntarily comply with a new initiative aimed at tracking visitors who are under mandatory 14-day quarantine.
The initiative calls for hotels to issue single-use room keys to guests when they check in.
"If they leave, then they’d have to go to the front desk and at that point the hotel can call law enforcement,” said state Sen. Donovan Dela Cruz, of the Senate Special Committee on COVID-19.
Only about 100 hotels remain open statewide.
And according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority, most have agreed to the initiative; some have already implemented the program.
The state is working to crack down on the tourists who violate the rules, starting with their arrival at the airports. There are new forms that explain the penalty for violating and there is a phone and address verification process.
Hotel managers have helped police track down dozens of people not abiding by the quarantine and social media has led law enforcement to those staying at illegal vacation rentals.

Another way businesses are helping the state monitor visitors: Rental car companies have agreed to limit service.
Lawmakers have also talked about equipping tourists with ankle monitors and the state Attorney General told the Senate Committee that her office has used the device but only after a visitor was caught breaking quarantine.
Lawmakers and public health officials fear a surge in tourists by the end of the summer and hope to have contact tracing teams trained and ready by then. “I don’t want to see the travel cases starting to creep up again because we open up to tourism without having that ability to monitor people," said state Sen. Laura Thielen.
The Department of Transportation is requesting new equipment to spot arriving passengers who may be sick.
“They want to pursue thermal screening and thermal scanning," Dela Cruz said, "They’ve identified some technology that will cost about $23 - $36 million dollars.”
Dela Cruz said federal CARES Act money can be used to fund it. Hawaii received more than $850 million total and the legislative session will reconvene Monday so lawmakers can work on budget issues.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Now there is discussion about photographing all arriving tourists so they can be identified and turned in if breaking quarantine. The proposal smacks of mugshots:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
From today's online version of the Honolulu Star Advertiser, quoting Gov. Ige:

"Ige also said during the COVID-19 Care Conversation that he expects to lift the interisland quarantine possibly in the next two to six weeks, depending on how the infection rate progresses." [Interisland = between Hawaii islands.]

Based on this, I don't think we aren't going to see the lifting of restrictions on the mainland/international travel quarantine, any time soon. There should be a new announcement witin the next 7-10 days, since the current restrictions expire in 20 days.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are not going to go and be treated like suspicious criminals. Maybe our trip next February will be the same paranoid bunch of people on the islands. That is ridiculous. Hawaii is a special place to me, but it could become my least desirable vacation.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
From today's online version of the Honolulu Star Advertiser, quoting Gov. Ige:

"Ige also said during the COVID-19 Care Conversation that he expects to lift the interisland quarantine possibly in the next two to six weeks, depending on how the infection rate progresses." [Interisland = between Hawaii islands.]

Based on this, I don't think we aren't going to see the lifting of restrictions on the mainland/international travel quarantine, any time soon. There should be a new announcement witin the next 7-10 days, since the current restrictions expire in 20 days.

Yes, I agree with Denise on this. They are being very tight lipped. I was thinking inter-island to be opening in June and all other travel would be July at the earliest depending on what happens in between. It could be much later.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess a lot of people with businesses in tourism will be moving off of the island and to the mainland because they cannot get work. Too few jobs available, if tourism closes down completely for the year.

This is almost feeling some big joke to me. Taking photos, forcing people to stay in a hotel room and having food delivered, not allowing rental cars. It's not the U.S.A. and the freedom we all know and love, but they never wanted to be part of the country. Let them have Hawaii, all of the natives and their governor, because I can stop going. I am worried they will use this Covid as an excuse to keep us all away. Time to sell my Maui weeks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
IMNSHO, the safety of the people of Hawaii is far more important than me missing a vacation or two. Yes, I understand the financial hardships - the Coronavirus has caused a significant financial hardship for our family, but I'd choose quarantine over exposing my family to the Coronavirus everytime, and I think Hawaii is doing the smart thing. YMMV

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
IMNSHO, the safety of the people of Hawaii is far more important than me missing a vacation or two. Yes, I understand the financial hardships - the Coronavirus has caused a significant financial hardship for our family, but I'd choose quarantine over exposing my family to the Coronavirus everytime, and I think Hawaii is doing the smart thing. YMMV
Mahalo for supporting the state's initiative in staying safe. Our friend who works for Mauna Lani Auberge on Hawaii island does not expect the resort to start taking reservations again until August.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No question Hawaii is suffering badly. I do think people will leave the island because of lost work. It always takes Hawaii longer to recover from economic downturns.

I believe the quarantine was the governors only way of controlling the amount of people coming to the islands.

There are plenty of people on both sides of the issue here on Hawaii and the governor is getting it from both ends. We just have to wait and see what he decides.

Status
Not open for further replies.