• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Island: Waikoloa Village Evacuated due to spreading fire

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Fire Chief Press Conference:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Waikoloa Village and Waikoloa Beach are not exactly adjacent to each other, they are just on that part of the island. Beach is on the coast and Village is way up the hill from it. Paniolo Greens is up the hill a bit past WV.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Waikoloa Village and Waikoloa Beach are not exactly adjacent to each other, they are just on that part of the island. Beach is on the coast and Village is way up the hill from it. Paniolo Greens is up the hill a bit past WV.
Yes. However, about all there is between the village and the Hilton locations is brush and they said the fire is moving in the Westward direction, and Kings Land is due west.

1627863849956.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't Kingsland and the Waikoloa resort area pretty much surrounded by lava fields? Meaning, there isn't a lot of brush on them to burn? I suspect there is little risk of loss at these resorts, but it certainly won't make for a great guest experience with lots of smoke blowing that way.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Isn't Kingsland and the Waikoloa resort area pretty much surrounded by lava fields? Meaning, there isn't a lot of brush on them to burn? I suspect there is little risk of loss at these resorts, but it certainly won't make for a great guest experience with lots of smoke blowing that way.
My experience with the fires here in Thousand Oaks is that embers fly half a mile downwind and start a fire away from where it seems the fire is. Many of the homes we lost in my neighborhood where seemingly FAR from the fire, almost in a whack-a-mole way where a house would just suddenly be on fire. Indeed, the fire department did a remarkable job saving all the homes that appeared to be at risk, it was the far off ones that had embers fly through attack vents that they could not save. So that's the risk I'd say. Everyone downwind has to be on alert.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My experience with the fires here in Thousand Oaks is that embers fly half a mile downwind and start a fire away from where it seems the fire is. Many of the homes we lost in my neighborhood where seemingly FAR from the fire, almost in a whack-a-mole way where a house would just suddenly be on fire. Indeed, the fire department did a remarkable job saving all the homes that appeared to be at risk, it was the far off ones that had embers fly through attack vents that they could not save. So that's the risk I'd say. Everyone downwind has to be on alert.
Makes sense.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Not sure how the fire fighters can get a handle on this fire in these types of winds....there was a long stay steam of cars headed to Kona from Waikoloa/Waimea today and they were telling people to prepare for traffic stalls into Kona......this is a peek at the fire from Bldg 3......
Unknown.jpeg

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Not sure how the fire fighters can get a handle on this fire in these types of winds....there was a long stay steam of cars headed to Kona from Waikoloa/Waimea today and they were telling people to prepare for traffic stalls into Kona......this is a peek at the fire from Bldg 3......View attachment 38125
They're pretty good at figuring out how to divert the fire away from the homes, but yes, there's only so much they can do sometimes.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Latest report as of about an hour ago was good, with firefighters reporting that they are getting a handle on the fire and the winds of died down.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
UPDATE:

*To read the entire story, click: READ THIS STORY FOR FREE

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Evacuation was lifted last night. While we could still smell the smoke this morning, it is much better than yesterday. The sky toward inland was brown yesterday, as shown in the photo above. We no longer smell smoke this afternoon. The road to Waikoloa city is open again.

Last edited:

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived Saturday at Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa Village. We had seen the smoke on Friday. On Sunday we decided to pack up everything into cars as precaution before we drove down to Kailua-Kona. Turns out it was a good thing as the mandatory evac order was given while we were out. We ended up driving to Pahoa and staying with a friend in their rental house. Two of our group got a cheap Airbnb near Kalapana. We spent the day in Puna, then drove back and had a nice dinner at the Big Island Brew Haus, then while having dinner the Mamaloa Hwy to get to the Waikoloa Village road and back to Paniolo Greens. The fire drove lots of goats out onto the sides of the roads. I have never seen so many goats here before.