• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii is open and we're headed to Kauai

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
After multiple cancellations and rebooks, we are headed to Kauai on Saturday the 17th. Trying to figure out the multiple mixed messages and requirements has been a challenge and now, part of me just wants to go to prove it can be done!
We originally scheduled a Covid test thru our provider to later learn it must be a "Trusted Partner". So our world class University Hospital couldn't get me tested but Walgreens could. Then Walgreens offers two tests. I couldn't figure out which one would qualify so we are taking both.

We have a 2br booked at both Marriott Ko Olina and Waiohai. We prefer Kauai but the mayor keeps trying to add restrictions so we added KoOlina as a backup. Our test results should be back this afternoon and I will load them up to the Safe Travel site for Hawaii arrivals.

Speaking with the associate at Waiohai, I didn't get a real Aloha feel. I asked if she could let me know any restrictions on property. She said "what kind of restrictions", then half heartedly told me about the mask policy, pool lounger and pool use policies. I had to pry everything out.

I called the dive shop we usually dive with and they were very excited to have customers arriving! He told me this has to work because they won't make it to the end of the year if things get shut down again before the holidays. I am excited to get a couple dives in.

Hoping everything goes smoothly at entry but expecting a rough entry. We'll see. If others are interested in hearing how it goes, I'll post some updates.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds great! We too canceled several reservations earlier in the year. Been hanging in with baited breath for the opening. We are supposed to go to Hawaii Island, Waikaloa, 11/18 for ten days. Thanksgiving with our son and family, meeting us there from SoCal. Then over to Kauai for three weeks! Not sure yet about interisland requirements. I think it is get another test within 72 hrs of arrival.
Please post how Waiohai is when you get there. Good travels!
We so miss the islands.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
We are at Waiohai now...in quarantine. Our quarantine finishes tomorrow evening.
At the moment only building 1 and 2 are open and 8 was open when Hawaii had school holidays last week. The tranquil pool is closed but the main pool is open 8-8. We will see if they open their marketplace or bar with new arrivals. The staff have been very nice. Since we can’t leave our room they print out things we need and deliver meals we order from local restaurants and come and take away our garbage. We look forward to going in the ocean we have been looking at since the 2nd tomorrow evening!

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
After multiple cancellations and rebooks, we are headed to Kauai on Saturday the 17th. Trying to figure out the multiple mixed messages and requirements has been a challenge and now, part of me just wants to go to prove it can be done!
We originally scheduled a Covid test thru our provider to later learn it must be a "Trusted Partner". So our world class University Hospital couldn't get me tested but Walgreens could. Then Walgreens offers two tests. I couldn't figure out which one would qualify so we are taking both.

We have a 2br booked at both Marriott Ko Olina and Waiohai. We prefer Kauai but the mayor keeps trying to add restrictions so we added KoOlina as a backup. Our test results should be back this afternoon and I will load them up to the Safe Travel site for Hawaii arrivals.

Speaking with the associate at Waiohai, I didn't get a real Aloha feel. I asked if she could let me know any restrictions on property. She said "what kind of restrictions", then half heartedly told me about the mask policy, pool lounger and pool use policies. I had to pry everything out.

I called the dive shop we usually dive with and they were very excited to have customers arriving! He told me this has to work because they won't make it to the end of the year if things get shut down again before the holidays. I am excited to get a couple dives in.

Hoping everything goes smoothly at entry but expecting a rough entry. We'll see. If others are interested in hearing how it goes, I'll post some updates.
All tests came back negative. Due to the no fee changes with the airlines, we were able get better flights directly to LIH without a stopover in HNL. I think that will save some headaches. Posted results to the Safe Travels site but they all indicate they must be manually approved. I'm sure that's going to be a bummer.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
I hope that Lihue airport is now using safe travels and checking QR codes. Happy travels.
Waiohai is much more active tonight. Lights on in many buildings and we can hear people in our building and outside. We have completed our quarantine. The market place is now open limited hours.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
We arrived in Kauai this afternoon at 2pm. another flight deplaned at the same time so the line was pretty long. It took about 30 minutes to go through the entry process. 25 minutes in line and 5 minutes pulling up the info on the Safe Travels site to verify our negative results.
I was glad we re-booked our flight for a non stop to LIH rather than the stop in HNL. Our friends had the stop in HNL and barely made their flight over to LIH. If you have an intermediate stop in HNL, you have to go through screening in both places. In Kauai, they saw the scan from HNL and then didn't update the final stop showing they had qualified for the exemption. This created a problem at the car rental where they would not rent him a car. They had to go back to the terminal and have their status updated. Still a bit of confusion around the rules.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Glad you arrived safely. Not going through HNL was a great idea.
We went to get our rental car in Lihue Today and had to go back to the arrivals at the airport to get a national guard to look up our arrival (more than two weeks ago) so we could be given a placard allowing us to rent a car. It took some extra time but it was in the morning and the airport was quiet.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you arrived safely. Not going through HNL was a great idea.
We went to get our rental car in Lihue Today and had to go back to the arrivals at the airport to get a national guard to look up our arrival (more than two weeks ago) so we could be given a placard allowing us to rent a car. It took some extra time but it was in the morning and the airport was quiet.
I'm glad I saw this post. Ending quarantine tomorrow and plan to pick up rental car at OGG. Guess I will call and ask what I will need.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't mind hearing of updates, especially since I am a diver. You can PM me with updates about diving if you wish.

wavesflow82

Reaction score

here in montreal we have to test ourselves too

Sent from my Mediatek MT8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We are trying to get to Kauai later this month. OMG the testing! First it was any CLIA now it's the Trusted Partner. OK. I tried to schedule tests - CVS only sets up appointments for the next three days, same with Walgreens, and Quest allows scheduled appointments more than three days out but the closest location near San Diego is in Corona, 100 miles away. It looks like this will come down to the wire.

One more thing to clarify. The 72 hour test hinges on your final departure time so if you have connecting flights, it is the flight that lands in Hawaii that is the time that matters. In our case because of flight cancellations by Hawaiian, we are now flying on Alaska and have a layover in Seattle so it is no longer our San Diego departure time, but our Seattle departure time that matters.

Yep, this is the attitude that we have to take. Look at it as a challenge accepted!

I still don't care much if we go or not. I love a deal and is why I booked the weeks in the first place, but if we don't get to Hawaii we will just go somewhere else, perhaps visit our kids in Truckee.

I just wish that the powers-that-be in Hawaii could decide on a set of rules/guidelines and stick with it.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
I wouldn't mind hearing of updates, especially since I am a diver. You can PM me with updates about diving if you wish.
The seas are a little rough today so we are going to try to dive Tuesday or Wednesday. We usually just rent tanks and dive from the old Koloa boat ramp.
Everything is pretty “normal” now we are here. Costco was moderately crowded. Beach here next to Waiohai was more crowded than I expected.
Some restaurants are still phasing in so not as efficient as previous visits.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw an article the the lighthouse bistro was not allowing non quarantined visitors to dine in....take out only.. there was another North shore resturant but i dont recall the name..

Are you finding the population receptive?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The way restaurants are acting I'm glad we no longer own at The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. Seems to be a lack of the aloha spirit in Kauai.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Saw an article the the lighthouse bistro was not allowing non quarantined visitors to dine in....take out only.. there was another North shore resturant but i dont recall the name..

Are you finding the population receptive?
It's a mixed bag. Cool reception at Paco's Tacos in Lihue last night. Friendly warm reception at The Right Slice pie shop. She was so appreciative of our business. She is hoping to fully re-open in a couple of weeks.
We have discovered you cannot rely on google, apple maps or even a business' website to know the hours of operation. Call first. We went to three different shops that had posted hours that were not accurate.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm on Kaanapali Beach and was surprised to learn no eating establishments are open at Whalers Village. The pool bar at Marriott is open 11-5 with limited food offerings. There is absolutely nothing/nowhere for breakfast food nearby. Fortunately I still have a few groceries from my quarantine period.

Without exception, ALL staff have shown sincere Aloha spirit.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm on Kaanapali Beach and was surprised to learn no eating establishments are open at Whalers Village. The pool bar at Marriott is open 11-5 with limited food offerings. There is absolutely nothing/nowhere for breakfast food nearby. Fortunately I still have a few groceries from my quarantine period.

Without exception, ALL staff have shown sincere Aloha spirit.

I received an email yesterday indicating Hula Grill in Whaler's Village is opening Friday October 23. They will be open for dine-in and take-out from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Maybe that opening will be the start of other restaurants opening in Whaler's Village.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email yesterday indicating Hula Grill in Whaler's Village is opening Friday October 23. They will be open for dine-in and take-out from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Maybe that opening will be the start of other restaurants opening in Whaler's Village.
Great news -- thanks for sharing.

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
We had a great week in Kauai. There was more rain than I expected so we didn't dive until Friday. We did a shore dive from the old Koloa Landing boat ramp. It was raining hard and the seas were a little rough but once we were under, the dive was great. Saw 4 turtles, an eel and tons of fish. By the time we left Saturday, Waiohai was hopping busy. Pools and beach CROWDED with visitors and locals. It felt like the 4th of July.
We had a hiccup with Alamo who closes at 7pm. We arrived at 7:10 because our flight was 9:49pm. Alamo was dark and vans parked in the return lane. I drove my wife back to the terminal, dropping her off with the bags. I then returned to Alamo to drop the car and keys. An employee was leaving so I gave him the keys, shared my frustration with their shortened hours and walked back to the terminal. Be sure to check hours of operation for car rental, restaurants, etc. They are still not operating at "regular' hours.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
We had a great week in Kauai. There was more rain than I expected so we didn't dive until Friday. We did a shore dive from the old Koloa Landing boat ramp. It was raining hard and the seas were a little rough but once we were under, the dive was great. Saw 4 turtles, an eel and tons of fish. By the time we left Saturday, Waiohai was hopping busy. Pools and beach CROWDED with visitors and locals. It felt like the 4th of July.
We had a hiccup with Alamo who closes at 7pm. We arrived at 7:10 because our flight was 9:49pm. Alamo was dark and vans parked in the return lane. I drove my wife back to the terminal, dropping her off with the bags. I then returned to Alamo to drop the car and keys. An employee was leaving so I gave him the keys, shared my frustration with their shortened hours and walked back to the terminal. Be sure to check hours of operation for car rental, restaurants, etc. They are still not operating at "regular' hours.

Aloha,
It was very rainy this week at Marriott’s Waiohai. So much more rainy then the two weeks before. We kept saying how sad we felt for people who just came for a week. I am glad that you at least got one dive.
These past 10 days we really noticed how busy Waiohai got and how unruly many guests were. Crossing yellow tape to go into the closed quiet pool.....which is now just open. Not wearing masks. Being very loud outdoors at night. We are so glad that we got to be here for two weeks when it was quiet even though we were in quarantine. I am not sure we would like to be here during regular busy times.
We drove to Waimea canyon on Saturday. It was clear and quiet and stunning.
We drove to the Weston Princeville resort on Sunday and hung out for a bit. At one point we had this week booked there but when it wasn’t sure when they would open we stayed with 4 weeks at Marriott Waiohai. They opened October 12th. They only have three building open and their restaurant and sundries/gift shop is also closed. What a lovely resort. It was very quiet and peaceful. We sat at a small pool that overlooked the ocean. It was beautiful . The adult/quite pool is closed as are all activities.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Aloha,
It was very rainy this week at Marriott’s Waiohai. So much more rainy then the two weeks before. We kept saying how sad we felt for people who just came for a week. I am glad that you at least got one dive.
These past 10 days we really noticed how busy Waiohai got and how unruly many guests were. Crossing yellow tape to go into the closed quiet pool.....which is now just open. Not wearing masks. Being very loud outdoors at night. We are so glad that we got to be here for two weeks when it was quiet even though we were in quarantine. I am not sure we would like to be here during regular busy times.
We drove to Waimea canyon on Saturday. It was clear and quiet and stunning.
We drove to the Weston Princeville resort on Sunday and hung out for a bit. At one point we had this week booked there but when it wasn’t sure when they would open we stayed with 4 weeks at Marriott Waiohai. They opened October 12th. They only have three building open and their restaurant and sundries/gift shop is also closed. What a lovely resort. It was very quiet and peaceful. We sat at a small pool that overlooked the ocean. It was beautiful . The adult/quite pool is closed as are all activities.
We honeymooned there a few years back. Was wonderful. Helped that we had several consecutive days of perfect weather. My wife says it's the only place on the island she'll go to. I said it rains a lot there... she doesn't believe me.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We honeymooned there a few years back. Was wonderful. Helped that we had several consecutive days of perfect weather. My wife says it's the only place on the island she'll go to. I said it rains a lot there... she doesn't believe me.

Well actually you are both right depending on your perspective. The Koloa area is in the South Shore of Kauai and averages around 37 inches of rain a year compared to Honolulu which averages around 23 inches of rain so it rains significantly more than Honolulu. However, the North Shore of Kauai, which is probably the most popular area of Kauai for tourists, it rains a great deal more. Some areas of the North Shore are the rainist areas in the world and it rains almost every day with as much as 400 inches of rain a year!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Well actually you are both right depending on your perspective. The Koloa area is in the South Shore of Kauai and averages around 37 inches of rain a year compared to Honolulu which averages around 23 inches of rain so it rains significantly more than Honolulu. However, the North Shore of Kauai, which is probably the most popular area of Kauai for tourists, it rains a great deal more. Some areas of the North Shore are the rainist areas in the world and it rains almost every day with as much as 400 inches of rain a year!
Naw... she's always right. I found that to be a way better approach to marriage. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Naw... she's always right. I found that to be a way better approach to marriage. :)

Well in view of the fact that the North Shore of Kauai is so much rainier than the South Shore Kauai and while the South Shore of Kauai is significantly more rainly than Honolulu it is no where near as rainy as the North Shore, I would have to agree that she is REALLY RIGHT.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Well in view of the fact that the North Shore of Kauai is so much rainier than the South Shore Kauai and while the South Shore of Kauai is significantly more rainly than Honolulu it is no where near as rainy as the North Shore, I would have to agree that she is REALLY RIGHT.
That's never been relevant.