• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii in Dec - arrival day

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My current plan has my family arriving in kona around 11pm. I do not check into the timeshare until 4pm the Friday. I'm looking for a way to create a "memory" for my family that does NOT include me renting a hotel room for a night. Yeah i'm cheap. I prefer frugal. I'm curious what options may be available....safety is a concern so I will break down and get a hotel room, if needed.

thanks!
ba

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummm....most Hawaiian airports are pretty small. Not sure if you’re thinking about staying at the airport overnight but it won’t be possible. Why wouldn’t you want to get a hotel from for your family other than cost? Are you traveling with kids? They’re going to be cranky after a long flight, especially given the time difference, so they will want to sleep on a bed somewhere.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
My current plan has my family arriving in kona around 11pm. I do not check into the timeshare until 4pm the Friday. I'm looking for a way to create a "memory" for my family that does NOT include me renting a hotel room for a night. Yeah i'm cheap. I prefer frugal. I'm curious what options may be available....safety is a concern so I will break down and get a hotel room, if needed.

I find myself truly baffled at what sort of "memory" could be created for your family at 11 pm on a travel day that does not involve a bed and good night's sleep. I am being serious; what sort of memory did you have in mind? (the things that come to mind are sleeping a park or mall, or on the beach etc. all of which sound "memorable" but in the wrong sort of way ).'s

Addendum: just figured it out that this is a Father's Day joke! Good one.

Last edited:

tshd

Reaction score
What was said previously is 100% good advice. I'm frugal too, but I typically weigh the savings on airfare against the cost of an additional hotel night/day in paradise. You will also have a place to hang out for the day before you check in. Perhaps consider the Marriott in Kona on the beach for a low cost night but pleasant day location. You might be able to get it free with a certificate or points with a cc enrollment. If you have kids splurge on a night at Hilton Waikoloa to use the facilities the next day. That would be memorable! But be warned, if your kids are like mine that would spoil them and everything would be a downgrade from there and your cheap ass will live to regret it:ROFLMAO:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a red-eye once to NY, arriving like 6-8am, and not surprisingly our room wasn’t ready, they wouldn’t let us check-in and our teenagers were tired. I regret not renting the prior Day but felt prior to this, it was a waste of a hotel night charge. I regret that decision. your situation even more so, simply Because you’d get a good nights sleep. I’d encourage you to spend the night at a hotel.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We took a red-eye once to NY, arriving like 6-8am, and not surprisingly our room wasn’t ready, they wouldn’t let us check-in and our teenagers were tired. I regret not renting the prior Day but felt prior to this, it was a waste of a hotel night charge. I regret that decision. your situation even more so, simply Because you’d get a good nights sleep. I’d encourage you to spend the night at a hotel.
We've done this a couple of times, once in NYC and once in London where we arrived around 5 a.m. Of course we couldn't check in when we arrived. In both cases we stowed the luggage and took a hop on hop off bus. However, the next time we came in on that same flight to NYC we booked the room for the night before so that it would be ready and we could into the room when we arrived. Wonderful! We were able to go to bed, get a few hours sleep and get up well rested.

I can't imagine arriving at 11 p.m. and not having a place to sleep until sometime that next afternoon. And there are no hop on hop off buses on Hawaii. ;)

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
By the time you get off the plane and retrieve your luggage, you would probably have 16 hours with no place to crash- shower, change clothes, brush your teeth, etc. Get a hotel room near the airport, stop at Costco the next morning and start your vacation rested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
By the time you get off the plane and retrieve your luggage, you would probably have 16 hours with no place to crash- shower, change clothes, brush your teeth, etc. Get a hotel room near the airport, stop at Costco the next morning and start your vacation rested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closest to the airport would be in Kona. And there are certainly ones there that wouldn't be terribly expensive.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just get a cheap hotel. I hope you can get a rental car at that time of night. The airport is far away from town and your resort. It is an outdoor airport and no place to stay during the night. Once you get your luggage, you are on the street and that is where you will sleep if you don’t have a car or hotel room.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

thanks!
ba

I would also check with your resort and see if they have the same type unit as yours for rent for the one night. Even if it cost a little more than a hotel room, you wouldn’t have to relocate after one night and you would have use of the resort in the morning. Otherwise, as others have suggested, find a cheap or reasonably priced hotel For the night. Presumably your airfare was cheaper since you arrive at such a late hour, so some of the savings can offset the extra cost for an extra night of sleep.

Best regards.

Mike

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
As someone else posted earlier you may have problems getting transport. I "think" more car rental agencies will stay open to accommodate late flights, but I'd want to be very sure of that. It seems your other choices from the Kona airport are slim to none.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also check with your resort and see if they have the same type unit as yours for rent for the one night. Even if it cost a little more than a hotel room, you wouldn’t have to relocate after one night and you would have use of the resort in the morning.
excellent idea if possible and if reasonable cost. We don’t like to move and don’t like to be homelsss during transitions from check out one day and check in on the same day.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On a trip to Mauai I arrived earlier than the rest of my gang. Had reserved an inexpensive hotel room for us near the airport. When I returned to the airport later that evening, I went to luggage pick up area to wait for their arrival. I was shocked to find, that by design, there is not a single chair/seat in which to sit and wait.

ba2471

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Great news on my end. The flight arrives while the car rental companies are still open. Also, room reserved upon arrival. I will be checking into the timeshare to see if I can get an extra night- good idea!

BagsArePacked

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news on my end. The flight arrives while the car rental companies are still open. Also, room reserved upon arrival. I will be checking into the timeshare to see if I can get an extra night- good idea!
Tip: Add your flight info to your car rental, I have found it helps with late arrivals.

I was conjuring visions of Chevy Chase and a memorable family adventure, lol.

Have a nice time!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk