• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii governor lays foundation for vaccinated travelers to avoid quarantine

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I had already stated this in the Hawaii Travel thread with this additional information:

Pertinent text from Gov. Ige's 19th emergency proclamation:
Self-Quarantine Exceptions:
The following persons entering the State shall not be subject to self quarantine:
(1) persons who enter by recreational boats into the State’s small boat (non-commercial) harbors which have been at sea for at least 10 consecutive days before entering State waters and have no persons on board who are ill or are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19;
(2) persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide dated confirmation received by the traveler prior to departure from a DOH approved COVID-19 testing facility (“Trusted Testing Partner”) of a negative test result, using a DOH-approved form, from an observed test administered to the traveler within 72 hours from the final leg of departure; or
(3) upon the establishment of an exception by the Director of HIEMA, persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide validation that they have completed a vaccine regimen approved by DOH. This third exception is not available as of the date of this Proclamation, requires action by the Director of HIEMA and details will be posted at https://hawaiicovid19.com/. Persons under the age of five accompanied by a traveler who meets existing test exceptions are not required to obtain a test prior to arrival. 9 of 36 A county may require travelers five years and older to obtain a subsequent test after arrival into the State, which test shall be paid for and administered by the county at a county-designated site. Persons who arrive into a county that requires a subsequent test do not need to self-quarantine prior to obtaining the subsequent test. A county requiring travelers to obtain this subsequent test shall integrate the test protocol into the State’s Safe Travels program and implement it through county emergency orders, rules or proclamations approved in accordance with Section I of this Proclamation.

Full Proclamation attached.

Attachments

• 2104031-ATG_Nineteenth-Emergency-Proclamation-for-COVID-19-distribution-signed.pdf
    969.5 KB · Views: 13

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Well that was a faster move than i had expected, though the key will certainly be how longer before the Director of HIEMA establishes the exemption. And will this be a simple as uploading a copy of your vaccination card, or something more involved with a 3rd party verification system like some of the vaccine passport programs..

All in all I am happy to hear about this.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm optimistic it will be in place before November when I (finally) have a trip scheduled that I plan to keep.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Well that was a faster move than i had expected, though the key will certainly be how longer before the Director of HIEMA establishes the exemption. And will this be a simple as uploading a copy of your vaccination card, or something more involved with a 3rd party verification system like some of the vaccine passport programs..

All in all I am happy to hear about this.

It seems that Governor Ige had a lot of pressure to issue something about the vaccination exemption so he did. However, without a date it is like someone saying that they are going to vacation all the time when they retire but not saying when they are going to retire, therefore, what is the impact for planning in the foreseeable future.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The big question is will the vaccination exemption, when enacted, trump the upcoming Maui requirement for a second test upon arrival.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big question is will the vaccination exemption, when enacted, trump the upcoming Maui requirement for a second test upon arrival.
I won't be surprised to see some post-arrival testing even with vaccine exemptions. The goal is not to make sure people entering Hawaii are vaccinated. The goal is to make sure people entering Hawaii won't get a lot of other Hawaiians sick---and you can be infected even if you are vaccinated, though the odds are much much lower.

Speaking personally, I'm okay with that. The pre-arrival testing is something I'm not willing to risk, because I don't want the chance of the result not arriving in time to avoid quarantine. But, post-arrival testing is fine with me---I will be vaccinated, so I expect to be negative. If for some reason I am infected, I'd want to know that and I'd want to avoid infecting others.

As Hawaii continues to make progress vaccinating their residents, the need for this sort of thing will continue to go down.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I won't be surprised to see some post-arrival testing even with vaccine exemptions. The goal is not to make sure people entering Hawaii are vaccinated. The goal is to make sure people entering Hawaii won't get a lot of other Hawaiians sick---and you can be infected even if you are vaccinated, though the odds are much much lower.

Speaking personally, I'm okay with that. The pre-arrival testing is something I'm not willing to risk, because I don't want the chance of the result not arriving in time to avoid quarantine. But, post-arrival testing is fine with me---I will be vaccinated, so I expect to be negative. If for some reason I am infected, I'd want to know that and I'd want to avoid infecting others.

As Hawaii continues to make progress vaccinating their residents, the need for this sort of thing will continue to go down.

I'd be more inclined just the opposite. The NAAT tests required for pre-arrival are less likely to render a false-positive than are the quick tests that will be administered upon arrival. I'd hate to spend the dollars to fly to Maui and then have a false-positive from one of Maui's cheap fast tests ruin my vacation and then have to enter quarantine or be denied staying on the island.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I'd be more inclined just the opposite. The NAAT tests required for pre-arrival are less likely to render a false-positive than are the quick tests that will be administered upon arrival. I'd hate to spend the dollars to fly to Maui and then have a false-positive from one of Maui's cheap fast tests ruin my vacation and then have to enter quarantine or be denied staying on the island.

I agree with you. If Hawaii is not going to be able to rely on the vaccine to keep people from getting and transmittiing the desease then from my perspective they are not ready for us to go there. We have been vaccinated and if we need a booster we are ready to get it. We are planning on going in late September for an extended stay until sometime in the Spring. If Hawaii is still messing around with testing and quarantining by late summer we will change our Hawaiian Airlines tickets that can be changed without cost until the end of 2022 for new dates.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov Ige's proclaimation is useless unless/until they act on it. We are flying to Hawaii on 4/18 and I am quite certain that we need to do the COVID test to satisfy their current requirement even though we have all been fully vaccinated.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gov Ige's proclaimation is useless unless/until they act on it. We are flying to Hawaii on 4/18 and I am quite certain that we need to do the COVID test to satisfy their current requirement even though we have all been fully vaccinated.

While Hawaii is pondering the issue of a vaccine passport or other method of proving vaccination before entering from the Continental United States, I just researched some facts about the number of coronavirus vaccinations and cases in some countries that usually travel to Hawaii in relatively great numbers; Canada, Japan, Philippines, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand. All are way behind the United States as far as the number of people vaccinated. While Japan, Australia, and New Zealand have very few cases the same cannot be said for Canada, Philipines, and South Korea. While at this time the numbers of people coming to Hawaii from these countries are way down I am very concerned about how International Travel to Hawaii is going to be handled in the future. Furthermore, a particular event this summer may also stir up some additional concerns; the Summer Olympics in Japan!

I believe that to prevent the spread of the coronavirus to Hawaii some type of secure vaccination proof needs to be required for any International Travel to Hawaii. It is important that the airlines get involved with the screening since it is not only important that those that are coming to Hawaii be vaccinated but those that are catching a connecting flight since they can pass the virus to other passengers on the flight, the flight crew, airport workers, or other passengers in the airport. If the Olympics occur this summer this will be particularly important since Hawaii is a stop over for planes going to and coming from Japan.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two relatives got COVID-19 vaccinations today. They proudly sent me a picture of the official CDC card that listed the vaccine and date administered. The trouble is that was the only information printed on the card. Their name and other identifying information was left for each of them to fill out. It seems to me that someone's word that they got the shots is about as valid as a card like this. Not sure how a vaccine passport based on this vaccine card would provide any stronger assurance than the person attesting/swearing that they got the shots.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Two relatives got COVID-19 vaccinations today. They proudly sent me a picture of the official CDC card that listed the vaccine and date administered. The trouble is that was the only information printed on the card. Their name and other identifying information was left for each of them to fill out. It seems to me that someone's word that they got the shots is about as valid as a card like this. Not sure how a vaccine passport based on this vaccine card would provide any stronger assurance than the person attesting/swearing that they got the shots.
There was an arrest for someone presenting a false covid test so I am hoping that they will be able to verify vaccines:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about faking anything. It is just that my relatives stating they got a vaccine is about as believable or trustworthy as the document they were given. Pretending a piece of card stock with some printed text on it is proof of vaccination is just a show. The article above says you would take a picture of this card and upload it to serve as proof of vaccination. Having the passenger attest that they took the vaccine would be just as believable. Honest people will be honest. Dishonest people won't be. Rather than spend a lot of money on new software and equipment, just ask travelers. The answer would be about as accurate as a vaccine card.

BTW, not every vaccine card is a CDC document. Some doctor offices print out a small piece of paper with the vaccination information. Not really a federal document. The crime would be lying about the vaccine, verbally or otherwise.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I did not want to give the impression that your were talking about faking documents, but that is the sticking point right now for Hawaii putting a vaccine exemption in place. Sorry if I gave a wrong impression.

I'm not talking about faking anything. It is just that my relatives stating they got a vaccine is about as believable or trustworthy as the document they were given. Pretending a piece of card stock with some printed text on it is proof of vaccination is just a show. The article above says you would take a picture of this card and upload it to serve as proof of vaccination. Having the passenger attest that they took the vaccine would be just as believable. Honest people will be honest. Dishonest people won't be. Rather than spend a lot of money on new software and equipment, just ask travelers. The answer would be about as accurate as a vaccine card.

BTW, not every vaccine card is a CDC document. Some doctor offices print out a small piece of paper with the vaccination information. Not really a federal document. The crime would be lying about the vaccine, verbally or otherwise.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is why there needs to be an official record that can be presented to show you have been vaccinated. I don't know why people have a problem with things like your vaccination record being known by the government or others. Disabled people get special privileges, benefits, and protections because of their medical record. I want the benefit of not having to get tested or need to quarantine because of my medical record of vaccination. Actually I like the idea of my medical record being known when I go to a new Doctor so I don't have to fill out forms that ask questions that I can't remember the answer to, or the same questions over and over, or things I might forget about my medical record after over 70 years living.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why there needs to be an official record that can be presented to show you have been vaccinated. I don't know why people have a problem with things like your vaccination record being known by the government or others. Disabled people get special privileges, benefits, and protections because of their medical record. I want the benefit of not having to get tested or need to quarantine because of my medical record of vaccination. Actually I like the idea of my medical record being known when I go to a new Doctor so I don't have to fill out forms that ask questions that I can't remember the answer to, or the same questions over and over, or things I might forget about my medical record after over 70 years living.
I agree....over 86 years and counting!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
From what I have read, and listened to on the news in Hawaii, the Governor is responding primarily to the fact that a lot of Hawaiian residents, especially their most vulnerable, are getting vaccinated and with that in mind, they are willing to take more risk with respect to people coming onto the islands. They will loosen the restrictions when they are comfortable that there are few residents that a sick tourist can infect. That’s why they aren’t consumed with the issues of assurance that a vaccine record is authentic.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From what I have read, and listened to on the news in Hawaii, the Governor is responding primarily to the fact that a lot of Hawaiian residents, especially their most vulnerable, are getting vaccinated and with that in mind, they are willing to take more risk with respect to people coming onto the islands. They will loosen the restrictions when they are comfortable that there are few residents that a sick tourist can infect. That’s why they aren’t consumed with the issues of assurance that a vaccine record is authentic.

I think Hawaii does have concerns about the vaccine record being authentic, and if they are not concerned now they better be when International Travel opens up. I started a different thread about Vaccination and International Travel in the Covid 19 Discussion Forum. The United States is way ahead of the rest of the world with respect to Vaccinations. As we know Hawaii is usually a Major International Travel Destination. After the entire United States obtains heard immunity could extremely high international travel numbers to Hawaii with unvaccinated people make Hawaii a dangerous spread area again?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I anticipate there will be some mechanism to verify the card's information with e.g. the various State Departments of Health.
There are a number of vaccine registries throughout the US and most, if not all states, have one in addition to a few others that are insurance related. It shouldn't be overly difficult to integrate sufficiently to be able to check such information. Obviously there are other variables including non US locations and those vaccinated but not reported to the registries. As more and more are vaccinated (or chose to take their chances), the need for such documentation will become less as well.