• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii. Go or No Go?

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Say someone had a trip planned to Hawaii mid next month. With Ige's "stay away for 30 days" request do you go or not go.

Assume said person's schedule is not all that flexible and re-scheduling is a problem.

A request vs a ban. So far travel is NOT banned.

Must be someone out there with such a dilemma.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first of two trips to Hawaii is in May (then November). Were it next month, I'd go. We're basically isolated here in Santa Clara, so my chances of acquiring and bringing with me anything like this are very slim.

Also, inasmuch as current data suggest that the virus does not do well in heat and humidity from the standpoint of community transmission, that lowers the risk further.

Cheers.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Consider what you plan to do when you arrive there. Assuming you're not sick NOW, what happens if you are exposed along the way? Symptoms take a few days to a few weeks to appear - then what?

In Hawaii, are the bars, restaurants, luaus, historical sites, public transportation, tour companies, and whatever else open or closed? How will you spend your time if they are? If it's a "lay on the beach" kind of vacation, are the beaches open? Hawaii beaches tend to get pretty busy, with visitors from all over the world, where people tend to be in fairly close contact with each other. What potential viruses are they bringing with them, or carrying away?

It's your call, certainly. And chances are, things will be fine. The question is, are you prepared to take that chance?

Dave

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Say someone had a trip planned to Hawaii mid next month. With Ige's "stay away for 30 days" request do you go or not go.

Assume said person's schedule is not all that flexible and re-scheduling is a problem.

A request vs a ban. So far travel is NOT banned.

Must be someone out there with such a dilemma.
Yes, we were scheduled to depart on April 24th for a 37 night trip to Hawaii involving 3 islands and 7 air segments. We have cancelled. It is not in the national interest to travel at this time when there is a pandemic going on. People are dying, tourists are spreading the contagion by continuing to travel despite the warnings. It was hard to pull the plug on the trip but I had to put my own selfish interests aside and do the right thing for the nation and others. They will never get control of this unless we stay at home, maintain social isolation, etc. Domestic travel is spreading Covid-19 to others and creating community spread in new areas.

Our schedule is not flexible either. It meant the difference between being able to go versus not go. We will not be able to go as a result of the pandemic. This requires sacrifices from everyone across all walks of life. We lost $2500 in MVC timeshare fees for our lost week at Marriott Ko Olina. I got nothing (beyond a late deposit week in II that is worthless).

Additionally, there is just too much uncertainty to make travel enjoyable for the foreseeable future. What happens if you are prevented from leaving? If you get sick and are forced to be quarantined - how much enjoyment would you get out of the trip? What happens if your flights are cancelled? It is coming.

No one likes to have their trip ruined, including myself. But we will never get control of the disease if we don’t stay essentially shelter in place and not aid in the spread by traveling.

Most of the Covid-19 cases in HI have been brought in by tourists. Please heed Gov. Ige’s request to help Hawaii in this time of need.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Our first of two trips to Hawaii is in May (then November). Were it next month, I'd go. We're basically isolated here in Santa Clara, so my chances of acquiring and bringing with me anything like this are very slim.

Also, inasmuch as current data suggest that the virus does not do well in heat and humidity from the standpoint of community transmission, that lowers the risk further.

Cheers.

We are also booked for May, i have not canceled yet but i am definitely monitoring the situation.

Its my understanding that all the bars and restaurants are closed. In addition they are closing the state and county parks. Not sure if that included the beaches, but i can see that it might.

We are in San Jose, so same shelter in place situation as you...

Going out to eat and relax is big part of our Hawaii trips, if everything looks to be closed, we will cancel and hope for things to clear up.

maybe I would safer with the heat and humidity, but i am save my airfare and timeshare points for a trip with all the activities...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are also booked for May, i have not canceled yet but i am definitely monitoring the situation.

Its my understanding that all the bars and restaurants are closed. In addition they are closing the state and county parks. Not sure if that included the beaches, but i can see that it might.

Fair point. A trip next month will very likely be takeout-only, at best. May really not make sense to go next month. 3rd week of May, fingers crossed.

We are in San Jose, so same shelter in place situation as you...

Going out to eat and relax is big part of our Hawaii trips, if everything looks to be closed, we will cancel and hope for things to clear up.

maybe I would safer with the heat and humidity, but i am save my airfare and timeshare points for a trip with all the activities...

For us, as mundane as it may sound, a good bit of our travel is based on maintaining status, so we'd need these flights. And this is for 3 airlines, although the third will be mostly done with one trip in December/January). Of course, I do expect accommodations for status to come rolling out soon, so it may not matter as much.

Cheers.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
We just has our first case here on the Big Island which was brought in by a tourist. As most native Hawaiians are a high risk group (diabetes and high blood pressure) those of us who call this island home are very aware of our impact on others and have been staying home and not socializing. All large retail stores are closing, the restaurants are either take out only or limiting their occupancy. If you do not have to be here, please cancel as resources are limited. We live in one of the most remote places on the planet and if this virus moves the way it is expected on the mainland, you will wipe out an entire population of 'at risk' people.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Things change day by day, sometimes minute by minute. I don't even want to post the most recent lists I've seen as they could have changed by the time I post it.

I do know Maui County closed all public restrooms (and the beach restrooms would be included as they are public). I also saw that some beaches, Hapuna Beach on the Big Island among them, were closing down.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion, as I thought it might be. Stay away. 15 days (about the COVID19 incubation period)? 30 days? 60 days? TBD?

Currently it is more likely that at traveler from the Mainland has TB then COVID19 but no one WANTS to place anyone else at undo risk. Key word being "undo".

We don't actually have travel plans for next month but were in the process of planning one and was curious on peoples perspective. The trip we were looking at was in 28 days. Any different from the 30 day Governor's request?

People still seem to be traveling to the islands from what I can tell otherwise and certainly the argument can be made that the economic risk of a national shutdown is real while the disease risk is speculative. Disease risk generally plays better however.

Think I will keep an eye on things for a couple of weeks and see how it all plays out.

People are fascinating creatures.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Interesting discussion, as I thought it might be. Stay away. 15 days (about the COVID19 incubation period)? 30 days? 60 days? TBD?

Currently it is more likely that at traveler from the Mainland has TB then COVID19 but no one WANTS to place anyone else at undo risk. Key word being "undo".

We don't actually have travel plans for next month but were in the process of planning one and was curious on peoples perspective. The trip we were looking at was in 28 days. Any different from the 30 day Governor's request?

People still seem to be traveling to the islands from what I can tell otherwise and certainly the argument can be made that the economic risk of a national shutdown is real while the disease risk is speculative. Disease risk generally plays better however.

Think I will keep an eye on things for a couple of weeks and see how it all plays out.

People are fascinating creatures.
One of my concerns about traveling during this time, or even a little later is.....what will be open? Sure, I could get someplace, but what would be open and what would there be to do? We have a trip planned to Seattle at the end of May and I'm sure we will cancel. It's in a hotel so those reservations can be cancelled up to the last minute. Flights are with Alaska Airlines and currently they are not relaxing their cancel and change policy that far out. So I'm waiting.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
FWIW: I started a similar thread asking questions along this line - click here for that thread,

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
With large cities like Seattle and NYC realizing lack of hospital beds and supplies, my concern about Hawaii is what happens if they reach capacity and you become very ill? They are far away from help and everything would need to be flown or shipped in from the mainland.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I would not go. It will not be fun with most things closed. Even though I do not have health anxiety, I would be concerned about being stuck on an airplane with other people. Even in good times, airplanes are places where germs flow and people catch things. I am also worried about going far from home and getting quarantined somewhere. The loss of control with travel is a concern.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Why does this point:

...People are fascinating creatures.

Remind me of the old Chinese blessing/curse May you live in interesting times....

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I believe Emmy and Peter are there right now. I just emailed Emmy and may give her a call. They stay on Maui about four weeks starting now or they may already be there. They own at Maui Sunset, the Hyatt and Marriott's newer towers. They are all fixed weeks, so this will hurt them, should they not be able to go. They are mid-80's in age, so that could be keeping them home, and without the governor asking people not to come.

MPrince

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The District by Hilton Gold, HGVC Oceans 22 Platinum, Elara Gold, Elara Platinum, Flamingo Gold
People are free to make whatever decisions they want to make. I'd just like to mention that as of today, according to the Bing COVID-19 tracker fewer than 10,000 people worldwide have died from COVID-19. As of three weeks ago, according to the NY Times, 20,000 people in the USA have died from the seasonal flu. Take from that what you will.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
People are free to make whatever decisions they want to make. I'd just like to mention that as of today, according to the Bing COVID-19 tracker fewer than 10,000 people worldwide have died from COVID-19. As of three weeks ago, according to the NY Times, 20,000 people in the USA have died from the seasonal flu. Take from that what you will.
I take from that that both are dangerous. I take from that that people still don't understand that there is NO vaccine for COVID-19. It seems to spread more quickly than the flu. That's what I take from that.

LynnHilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara
Cancel.

Heed the accurate warnings of local, state and federal government: COVID-19 is a serious and deadly virus. Social distancing. No discretionary travel.

Risk / Reward. The risk of contracting COVID-19 yourself (possible permanent lung damage or death), and if so then spreading COVID-19 to other people (possible permanent lung damage or death, possibly including people you love) is not worth the reward of a few days vacation in Hawaii.

Good citizenship, thinking about society as a whole and not just yourself. Your bad choices can lead to death of others.

While you're home, watch and read reliable news sources to understand the true facts. When you become better informed, you'll see that your original question of "recommendation vs ban" and "go or don't go" is obvious: don't go.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

The spread dynamics and fatality rates for COVID-19 are very different. Can't compare.

Or, to look at it another way:

If we treated COVID-19 like flu, i.e. did pretty much nothing, many more than the flu would die. Or, if we did the things for flu that we are doing for COVID-19 many fewer would die.

In Italy, COVID-19 deaths increase by an order of magnitude every 8 days so far. In California, it's every 13 days. This is not the flu.

Cheers.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Sorry. When I hear questions such as "should I go" or comments such as "Covid-19 is less deadly than the flu" I have to shake my head. Are you guys in a total state of illusion or disbelief? Watch the Italian short video (with English translation) "10 Days" where Italians with those same questions and comments before it got really bad in Italy, talk to the person they were 10 days before as to the advice they would give themselves from 10 days in the future.

The response from their "future" selves is unanimous. Stay home. Don't go out. Don't mingle. Don't go to bars or restaurants. Don't travel. Don't endanger others. If you must go out, and only if absolutely necessary, maintain social distance (2 metres/6 feet). Listen to the medical experts and heed their advice. It is not about whether you might be sick or get sick. It is whether you, even inadvertently, might make someone else sick, or worse die. Please stop thinking just about yourselves!!

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just has our first case here on the Big Island which was brought in by a tourist. As most native Hawaiians are a high risk group (diabetes and high blood pressure) those of us who call this island home are very aware of our impact on others and have been staying home and not socializing. All large retail stores are closing, the restaurants are either take out only or limiting their occupancy. If you do not have to be here, please cancel as resources are limited. We live in one of the most remote places on the planet and if this virus moves the way it is expected on the mainland, you will wipe out an entire population of 'at risk' people.
[/QUOTE.

This says it all!!!!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Yes they are free to make their own choices. What does that say about the person who makes choices that endanger others? Whether or not a person thinks that Covid-19 is dangerous or not, the choices some people are making are going against what their government (both sides of the political aisle now) is advising them to do. Maybe you don’t have a friend or relative with a decreased lung function, auto-immune disease or that are elderly, but most of us do. I don’t want to lose someone because somebody makes a choice that endangers others just because they want to express their freedom of choice.

Remember, it’s a great privilege to live in this country and have the personal freedoms we do. With that privilege comes great responsibility to make the choices that not only benefit us, but don’t needlessly endanger others in the process.