• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Asks Americans Not To Visit From Mainland

tshd

Reaction score
And yes, the people I saw on the news reports were treating all non-Hawaii residents as if they are foreigners and not welcome. "Go home" the many signs read.

Kapolei

Reaction score
And yes, the people I saw on the news reports were treating all non-Hawaii residents as if they are foreigners and not welcome. "Go home" the many signs read.

No offense but your reasoning is majorly defective and unfortunately quite common.

Let’s step back for a moment and stop attributing the feelings of over a million people in Hawaii to some sign holders on TV. The sign holders represent no one but themselves. And they would never get elected to represent the population here.

tshd

Reaction score
The title of this thread is offensive. I don’t know what the poster is thinking. But this is no time to be hateful and divisive.
But you are the one who mentioned that you felt the title of the post was offensive and that was just a single person's voice (the author of the article). I'm not saying that the protesters represent everyone in Hawaii, but I'm pretty sure that if folks were driving around in a convoy for hours holding signs saying "Go back home" in SF, LA, Seattle, Las Vegas, NYC etc, they would be immediately stopped by the police. Instead the news reporter said that the large convoy planned to be driving in a loop between the airport and Waikiki all day "encouraging tourists to go home". And if people were to show up at arrivals holding these same signs at airports in any of these cities, they would most likely be asked to disband or face a potential charge for a hate crime. No offense, but allowing these "protests" to happen seems to be condoning behavior that is "hateful and divisive" toward people who comprise a large part of your economy most of whom are Americans from the mainland and Asian nationals.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any ideas or thoughts what will happen at the end April 2020?

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
Are there any ideas or thoughts what will happen at the end April 2020?

The month of May will start. I am more focused on what the next days bring. Things will get tense if we get wide community spread of the virus. It is far too soon to know the impacts. But for anyone that doesn’t live here or is not caring for someone that lives here, they should really ask themselves why they would want to be here if this thing hasn’t cleared. And I would say the exact same thing about Brooklyn, New York or anywhere else that has unique local impacts that may stress local resources.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Does anyone know how long this quarantine is in effect and when it will be lifted? The last I had read, the Lt. Gov. had been asking for a quarantine but the Gov. had not yet imposed one. Is there a news story update on this?

Kapolei

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long this quarantine is in effect and when it will be lifted? The last I had read, the Lt. Gov. had been asking for a quarantine but the Gov. had not yet imposed one. Is there a news story update on this?

Kapolei

Reaction score
Thank you as our travel to HI is impacted by this.

The impacts are huge across the board. Nobody wants this to last any longer than necessary. The article says the 14 day quarantine applies to residents also. This means students returning from school on the mainland will be locked in their homes. This is why I find the title of this thread inappropriate to the current discussion. It simply does not apply to what is happening.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If there are 48 residents identified then there likely are hundreds running around unidentified as of yet.......
of course, similar to all cases being reported in the U.S. and other areas where there isn‘t adequate testing.

Kapolei

Reaction score
of course, similar to all cases being reported in the U.S. and other areas where there isn‘t adequate testing.

This is why we have no idea where we are at in this crisis. Best case, it already peaked here locally in previous days and the ICU’s don’t fill up with victims. But it only takes one new case to start a spread if people don’t apply what they have been told. I am praying for the best possible outcome.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
This is why we have no idea where we are at in this crisis. Best case, it already peaked here locally in previous days and the ICU’s don’t fill up with victims. But it only takes one new case to start a spread if people don’t apply what they have been told. I am praying for the best possible outcome.

We are praying with you.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
To support what Kapolei stated above

From https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...rge-of-patients-could-cripple-isle-hospitals/

The state currently has 340 intensive care unit beds and 561 ventilators — machines that provide oxygen for patients unable to breathe on their own in severe respiratory distress, according to the Healthcare Association of Hawaii...
State officials are urging the public to distance themselves from one another to stop the rapid spread of COVID-19, warning that the health care system will collapse if too many people get sick at once. Hospitals statewide have a total of 3,069 beds, including 166 isolation rooms currently in use, and routinely run at or near capacity.

Many of the hospitals are basically full right now, and there’s very little capacity right this minute so if you add even 50 more patients, you overwhelm the system,” said Dr. James Ireland, a community physician. “If you add 200 more patients in the system, there’s nowhere for them to go, and if you add more than that, they may have to decide who gets lifesaving treatment and who doesn’t.”
....“Our emergency rooms are being flooded now with ‘worried well’ people who have minor symptoms. It’s creating a real problem for the health care industry right now,” he said. “The flu has put stress on the hospital already, so there’s very little resilience in hospitals. There’s already scarcities of supplies, swabs and other materials used in testing. We don’t have the time and probably the resources to build new hospitals in the short term, but we are looking to utilize other facilities and to maximize existing spaces that we have.”

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

tshd

Reaction score
Agreed, we are praying for everyone affected by this situation. The headline was relaying the original plea from the governor for tourists to stay away, prior to the newly imposed quarantine, which now impacts all people coming to Hawaii, but definitely has a larger impact on visitors than residents both logistically and financially. Clearly intended to keep visitors away, as it should well be. I think the governor should be going even further and imposing a shelter in place and a ban on non-essential inter-island travel to protect the citizens of Hawaii from further spread, especially since the other islands don't have as many hospital beds as Oahu. There are Hawaii residents who are taking advantage of the low airfare and hotel vacancies (same as those college spring breakers) and they may be unknowingly spreading Covid throughout the islands. Everyone needs to do their part to flatten the curve, locals and visitors alike. Hopefully, Trump will send supplies sooner rather than later, so they are there before they are needed. Stay safe.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Kauai’s Mayor announced a new rule that visitors to Kauai must obtain a $5 per person day-use permit for any beach park on the island. Parking at a beach park will cost an additional $50 per vehicle. Violators could face a misdemeanor charge or a fine of up to $5,000. Kauai residents are free to use beaches.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
A -very- few residents of Hawaii are certainly doing their best to play the 'ugly Hawaiian' role.
From the article:
.....In an email received Friday night, Hawaii Department of Health Spokesperson Janice Okubo said, “I have been informed that there are residents of Hawai‘i who believe the COVID-19 positive cases here are all visitors to the state, and unfortunately, there is stigma developing against visitors in Hawaii.”
The email continued: “I am asking the media to help the public understand that of the 37 positive test results to date, 32 of them are the result of traveling residents. The majority of cases are residents who returned home after traveling.”

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kauai’s Mayor announced a new rule that visitors to Kauai must obtain a $5 per person day-use permit for any beach park on the island. Parking at a beach park will cost an additional $50 per vehicle. Violators could face a misdemeanor charge or a fine of up to $5,000. Kauai residents are free to use beaches.

And that, IMO, is absurd. EVERYBODY should have to pay for the permit - it's only going to take one ill local to start infecting the others. I live near the coast in California, and over the weekend, in spite of a STATEWIDE shelter in place mandate, the beach cities were mobbed. Some were locals, others had travelled there for their exercise. Little to no distancing from one another. We are allowed out for exercise so long as we observe the 6 foot rule.

I do wonder how the resorts will handle the quarantine. If visitors must go straight from the airport to their lodging, how will they eat if the restaurants are closed? We are booked for April 9 and are going to defer to the end of May, the latest we can book under the Vistana 60-day rule, and past the expiration of the quarantine. We'll keep our air options open (AA are allowing us to cancel with no change fee and apply to fare to another 2020 flight) in case we need to move it again.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I do wonder how the resorts will handle the quarantine. If visitors must go straight from the airport to their lodging, how will they eat if the restaurants are closed?
Like the rest of us. Take out and delivery. Or, in the case of quarantine....delivery only.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the rest of us. Take out and delivery. Or, in the case of quarantine....delivery only.

That's for restaurants - what about groceries - are you allowed out? I'm assuming that a quarantined individual would not be, but our shelter in place order (CA) allows for that.

I'm going to call our resort (Westin Princeville) and ask how they are handling it. Mind you, it's for information purposes only. I have no intention of going over until the quarantine is lifted. But I think it's something worth knowing. Their little market can't handle more than a few dozen villas' worth of grocery requirements.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's for restaurants - what about groceries - are you allowed out? I'm assuming that a quarantined individual would not be, but our shelter in place order (CA) allows for that.

I'm going to call our resort (Westin Princeville) and ask how they are handling it. Mind you, it's for information purposes only. I have no intention of going over until the quarantine is lifted. But I think it's something worth knowing. Their little market can't handle more than a few dozen villas' worth of grocery requirements.
Grocery delivery exists as well. Or maybe the resorts and hotels will set up some kind of pick up and delivery service for both restaurants and groceries. I like to think of ways things CAN work rather then dwell on why they won't work.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grocery delivery exists as well. Or maybe the resorts and hotels will set up some kind of pick up and delivery service for both restaurants and groceries. I like to think of ways things CAN work rather then dwell on why they won't work.

I’m just asking for information...