• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Asks Americans Not To Visit From Mainland

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The last info I heard on the "PEAKING" of the virus in NY, which is the center for the pandemic in the US, is the end of April. The rest of the country will be after that and Hawaii which was one of the last to get the virus probably will not peak until the end of May. That is only the peak, it is not certain what will happen after that. How long will it still linger? Will it re-appear like seems to be happening in China? Until the social distancing warnings can be taken off I don't think Hawaii can emerge as a destination for visitors from the US.

Here is an interesting thought. Asia, which was the place the virus started seems to be under control and may be over it completely in a month or so. Will Asians be allowed to come and kind of take over Hawaii economically? The Japanese have been prominent in Honolulu for some time with so much catering to the Japanese tourist.
Here are current (as of this morning) predictions for the US as a whole and for NY state. - hospital resource usage and deaths per day. NY will probably be the first state to come out the other side, but that it's been nearly out of control despite the containment measures taken. It strikes me as a glimpse of what the "herd immunity" option looks like.

1585838368981.png

1585838463658.png

And now New York state
1585838728988.png

1585838795477.png

dickgregory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili Villas 3 BR, Marriott Grande Vista 2 BR,
Veteran
Excellent information out of NY - thanks for posting. Washington and California are likely to emerge as quickly or quicker though. These western states have not produced the graphs & charts as extensively as NY, but the virus appears to have arrived earlier and both states went into lockdown very early on.

Great points Kapolei. I totally get the concerns of Hawaiian residents. They don't have the infrastructure in place to handle a flood of patients at local hospitals. If I were a resident, I'd want inbound flights with tourists halted until this pandemic is clearly under control (possibly many months). And yes, the face of tourism is bound to change in many ways after this.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Excellent information out of NY - thanks for posting. Washington and California are likely to emerge as quickly or quicker though. These western states have not produced the graphs & charts as extensively as NY, but the virus appears to have arrived earlier and both states went into lockdown very early on.

Great points Kapolei. I totally get the concerns of Hawaiian residents. They don't have the infrastructure in place to handle a flood of patients at local hospitals. If I were a resident, I'd want inbound flights with tourists halted until this pandemic is clearly under control (possibly many months). And yes, the face of tourism is bound to change in many ways after this.
You can get these charts at https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections. They are produced by a group at the University of Washington that has been modeling infectious disease outbreaks for quite a few years.

I didn't post graphs for Washington, but it's an interesting case. Washington was the first identified epicenter, and was the first state to start implementing measures to control the virus spread. The contrast with New York is interesting. As of one week ago, the peak hospital resource usage in Washington was predicted to be this week, with significant shortfalls in both beds needed and ICU beds. It's now pushed back by one week, and we're actually predicted to have a surplus of beds and well as to be pretty close the needed ICU capacity. Washington, of course, has the benefit of not having the same population density as New York, but it does indicate that the containment measures have provided a significant amount of control.

Kapolei

Reaction score

Hawaii has experience with quarantines. This has Involved pet arrivals because there is no rabies in Hawaii. The quarantines used to be quite lengthy and hard on the animals. More recently Hawaii allows vaccinations to be completed on the mainland with antibody testing and a waiting period. Could similar testing be required for humans in the future?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Hawaii has experience with quarantines. This has Involved pet arrivals because there is no rabies in Hawaii. The quarantines used to be quite lengthy and hard on the animals. More recently Hawaii allows vaccinations to be completed on the mainland with antibody testing and a waiting period. Could similar testing be required for humans in the future?

I am first on line for the vaccine and I have already booked my flight for September 21st.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I hope we can go to Kauai 6/6-6/20. It was my mother-in-law's 92nd birthday trip. She also said it would be her last to Hawaii. I hope she is not being morose and offhandedly really saying she doesn't expect to live much longer. She just loves Kauai and Shearwater, and I lucked into two weeks via exchange.

I don't want to cancel that trip to Kauai. I don't want to fight with the airlines, either.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I hope we can go to Kauai 6/6-6/20. It was my mother-in-law's 92nd birthday trip. She also said it would be her last to Hawaii. I hope she is not being morose and offhandedly really saying she doesn't expect to live much longer. She just loves Kauai and Shearwater, and I lucked into two weeks via exchange.

I don't want to cancel that trip to Kauai. I don't want to fight with the airlines, either.
I hope you get to go. So nice of you take your MIL on such a great trip.

Kapolei

Reaction score

I also hope the best for you. As I sit here today, I would say that is extremely doubtful. Even if Hawaii peaks early and the new cases stop piling up, I don’t see mainland USA clear by June. If Hawaii flattens it curve, Hawaii will not jeopardize its people by reopening early. Remember, best case scenarios mean many haven’t been exposed yet and still no vaccine. Novel virus plus no vaccine = rapid spread if restrictions are lifted.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We haven't yet cancelled our early August trip. Decision time is the end of this month.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We are looking forward to a possible September 21st date in Waikiki. We have a contingency plan for December 13th for Waikiki if the coronavirus still makes it impossible or not attractive to go in September. The third contingency plan would be sometime in 2021?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still hoping for our mid-July trip to Oahu and BI with my dad, but not sure we’ll be comfortable getting on a plane by then. He’ll be nearly 95, and we’re in our 70s, so my hope is fading daily.

You Dad must be retired and hopefully you are also. Hawaii is always nice. Start working on a plan B like we have. If you can't or don't feel comfortable in July look at fall or winter. Don't give up hope. A few months later to be safe and comfortable is certainly worth it.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
You Dad must be retired and hopefully you are also. Hawaii is always nice. Start working on a plan B like we have. If you can't or don't feel comfortable in July look at fall or winter. Don't give up hope. A few months later to be safe and comfortable is certainly worth it.
Yes, we're all retired, so we have flexibility in when we travel. We've all been to Hawaii a number of times (my dad and [deceased] mom owned several TS weeks there, now given to my siblings and me), so if this trip is cancelled, we can hope my dad will feel comfortable scheduling another either this fall or maybe next spring. He always says "If God be willing...." :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, we're all retired, so we have flexibility in when we travel. We've all been to Hawaii a number of times (my dad and [deceased] mom owned several TS weeks there, now given to my siblings and me), so if this trip is cancelled, we can hope my dad will feel comfortable scheduling another either this fall or maybe next spring. He always says "If God be willing...." :)

Yes and hopefully by you enabling him to travel to Hawaii, where he must have loved to be if he bought timeshares to go there, you are fulfilling what he wants to do at his age. My Dad said years before he passed away that he wanted to live as long as he could do the things he wanted to do. When he no longer could play golf physically and could no longer concentrate on the Mets games we watched together I think he gave up the will to live. Hopefully your Father will want to go to Hawaii not only later this year but for years to come.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Will the Governor of Florida and the mayors of the various cities in Florida own up to the spreading of the virus across the United States of America?

What a croc. The Governor nor Mayors are spreading anything. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. As a resident of Florida, I'm happy for the beaches that are open have stayed open.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What a croc. The Governor nor Mayors are spreading anything. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. As a resident of Florida, I'm happy for the beaches that are open have stayed open.
Yep those Spring break kids were happy they were open as well. Until they went home and discovered they'd contracted COVID-19 and spread it to how many others?

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Yep those Spring break kids were happy they were open as well. Until they went home and discovered they'd contracted COVID-19 and spread it to how many others?

And your point is??

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
And your point is??
My point is, the beaches should have been closed. Sorry if it wasn't clear. My bff lives in Florida, on the water. She said there was a lot of thought put into whether or not to close the beaches as there as residents whose homes are on the beach. She personally likes to walk on the beach. But guess what, she's gotten used to walking on sidewalks, or elsewhere. When it was apparent that the Spring Break crowd wasn't practicing any kind of social distancing there should have been something done.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
My point is, the beaches should have been closed. Sorry if it wasn't clear. My bff lives in Florida, on the water. She said there was a lot of thought put into whether or not to close the beaches as there as residents whose homes are on the beach. She personally likes to walk on the beach. But guess what, she's gotten used to walking on sidewalks, or elsewhere. When it was apparent that the Spring Break crowd wasn't practicing any kind of social distancing there should have been something done.

No one is forced to walk next to someone else. I too like to walk the beach and have the sense to stay away from others while doing so. But if others want to take the risk and walk near others, that's their business. All of us should not have to suffer due to the anxiety of some so I'm happy that our Governor allows the people to decide what level of safeness they wish to have while allowing the rest of us to enjoy our freedom. In that aspect, the beaches should not have closed (and did not under our Governor) and if you're not a resident of Florida, what you think about the subject it is immaterial.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No one is forced to walk next to someone else. I too like to walk the beach and have the sense to stay away from others while doing so. But if others want to take the risk and walk near others, that's their business. All of us should not have to suffer due to the anxiety of some so I'm happy that our Governor allows the people to decide what level of safeness they wish to have while allowing the rest of us to enjoy our freedom. In that aspect, the beaches should not have closed (and did not under our Governor) and if you're not a resident of Florida, what you think about the subject it is immaterial.

Our beach is Waikiki not the Florida beaches. My husband and I disagree on whether they should have closed Waikiki Beach or any beach for that matter. I feel they should have closed the beaches. He feels that the social distances requirement is there and whether someone violates it on the beach, on the street, in a park or whatever is immaterial they need to be arrested and prosecuted.

However, I have to agree with my husband in this instance. I just read about a couple that violated the 14 day quarantine requirement when that got off the plane in Kauai. They went to a supermarket instead of their place of shelter. They were first were given a warning when the headed in their car away from their place of shelter. They insisted on going to the supermarket and were arrested with a penalty of a year in Jail or a $5000 fine for their actions. Florida could get out of the economic hole they will be in after this virus is over by arresting all of those spring breakers and giving them $5000 fines for their parents to pay.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score