• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii advice [Kings' Land]

Bailes

Reaction score
First of all, I am so glad I found this site! We recently got suckered into a 3400 points TS in Las Vegas with 10k bonus points EOY for 16,000. We were in the 7 day window (WA state luckily) so we were able to rescind the contract. We are still interested, but not in Las Vegas and at a much lower resale price.

We have been to the Kingsland resort two times and loved it each time, so we are looking there. Trying to decide between EOY or EY. Can anyone tell me what the likelihood is that you will be able to rent out the unit if we are not able to go for a given year? I want the flexibility to go if we want, but would like to be able to rent it easily if we can't. Obviously enough to pay the HOA fees for the year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In general the Big Island doesn't have the rental demand that Maui and Oahu do. If you don't want to go every year, I would only buy an every-other-year deed, and not have to mess with renting.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Or use your points to go somewhere else in the system if you get an every year.

Bailes

Reaction score
Or use your points to go somewhere else in the system if you get an every year.
True. But if for some reason we can't vacation at all, can I sell my points so someone else can use them or can I only rent from my purchased site?

Bailes

Reaction score
In general the Big Island doesn't have the rental demand that Maui and Oahu do. If you don't want to go every year, I would only buy an every-other-year deed, and not have to mess with renting.
Would it make sense to buy on Oahu and use the Kingsland when we go? That way if we can't go, we get to rent out the Oahu timeshare. I do want to go each year, but I know there may be a year or two when we can't.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you are only going to go every other year, it makes sense to buy every other year. Renting is a lot more work than people realize. I am not a Hilton owner, but I don't believe you have the same priority to make a Kings' Land reservation if you own elsewhere - maybe a Hilton owner can clarify.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Welcome to TUG. Glad you were able to rescind.

Yes. Points are points with the exception of the bHC properties in cities (i.e. NYC, DC) in which it is better to own there and has a different system.

Best bet is to buy a high point to MF ratio property with a low buy-in price. Check out the sticky for this info.

Where are you based? What Kingland unit size phase and season would you use? (i.e. how many points do you need EOY?)

Once you know what points you need EOY, you can price out resale Kingsland for those EOY or EY points (e.g. need 7000 pts so $3,500 EY if borrow) and other trade-in properties to Kingsland such as Vegas Blvd, Vegas Paradise/Karen, Elara or Flamingo which have the lowest MF's.

There are some questions you should answer on your budget etc. which will help others on this board to better assist you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here are the questions:

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of comments:

1. While we've never stayed at Kings Land (we far prefer Bay Club and Kohala, and the points are lower), we have never had a problem finding availability on Hawai'i Island any time we have wanted. For this reason, we are very comfortable owning lower-MF points in Vegas and using them in Hawai'i. No reason for us to own the higher MF points in Hawai'i.

2. With regard to renting points, the "rules" say that one cannot rent any reservation except a Home Week reservation. That's what the rules say, anyway.

I am not a Hilton owner, but I don't believe you have the same priority to make a Kings' Land reservation if you own elsewhere - maybe a Hilton owner can clarify.

There is only a home field advantage for Home Week, and that requires a onw week reservation. Unless one is doing that, all HGVC members have equal access at 276 days- no advantage at all. Since we would never stay a week (well, prior to retirement :)), there is no advantage for us to own in Hawai'i versus the lower-cost Vegas.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Vegas points will give you some of the best bang for your buck. Unless you will need the extra three months home booking advantage for Kings Land, you want Vegas points, or something close to those MF’s. If you need the more points units EOY at Kings Land, you can get an every year contract and borrow points from the next year for what you need.

@brp has it as not being hard to book, so a lower cost interval might work best for you. The lowest MF’s per points are your plus, premier and grand units, but they could be hard to come by. There are regular rooms that have good MF ratios. If I were you, I would look for Vegas units at The Boulevard, Paradise, Elara (make sure they are not former Westgate units) and The Flamingo (2 bedroom only, 1 bedroom units have poor MF’s per points). Scotland currently has some of the best and there are other places that offer good value too. Check out the sticky above for current MF’s and a great spreadsheet made by @GT75 that breaks down some of the best MF deals out there.

Good Luck and don’t be a stranger!

Bailes

Reaction score
Vegas points will give you some of the best bang for your buck. Unless you will need the extra three months home booking advantage for Kings Land, you want Vegas points, or something close to those MF’s. If you need the more points units EOY at Kings Land, you can get an every year contract and borrow points from the next year for what you need.

@brp has it as not being hard to book, so a lower cost interval might work best for you. The lowest MF’s per points are your plus, premier and grand units, but they could be hard to come by. There are regular rooms that have good MF ratios. If I were you, I would look for Vegas units at The Boulevard, Paradise, Elara (make sure they are not former Westgate units) and The Flamingo (2 bedroom only, 1 bedroom units have poor MF’s per points). Scotland currently has some of the best and there are other places that offer good value too. Check out the sticky above for current MF’s and a great spreadsheet made by @GT75 that breaks down some of the best MF deals out there.

Good Luck and don’t be a stranger!
ok. So even if I will never go to Vegas, that is where to buy just to get the biggest bang for my buck on points and overall cost of the unit? Then, I just use them wherever and never at my "home" resort. What advantages do I lose? It sounds like priority for Kingsland shouldn't be a problem. Is there any other disadvantage to not owning where you will probably go the most?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Rules could change or fees for trading points could increase. However likelihood is very low as they have never made any major changes to the system except for a few adjustments to simplify the system.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own in Vegas. Have never had a problem getting prime summertime weeks anywhere in Hawaii including Oahu Lagoon Tower. The only tough reservation in my opinion would be Hilton Head and NYC for prime weeks. There are different rules for W57 St.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok. So even if I will never go to Vegas, that is where to buy just to get the biggest bang for my buck on points and overall cost of the unit? Then, I just use them wherever and never at my "home" resort. What advantages do I lose? It sounds like priority for Kingsland shouldn't be a problem. Is there any other disadvantage to not owning where you will probably go the most?

You will pay a club booking fee (currently $65), but you would play that at any resort, including where you own unless it was your home week booking (your unit, season, full week and starting on the home booking day, usually Friday or Saturday). Otherwise? No.

Read some of the threads here and learn as much as you can. Ask questions. Lastly, spend the $15 and join Tug. It’s the best deal in timesharing. It gets you some of the best unbiased reviews on the net and supports the tremendous community.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Can anyone tell me what the likelihood is that you will be able to rent out the unit if we are not able to go for a given year?
Per the HGVC rules, you are only allowed to rent out your Home Week Booking.

If you like KingsLand, there is a 2 Bd Premier in Phase I worth 14,400 pts with MFs at $1762.32 with MF ratio at 0.1224 (#26 on the list) and 1 Bd Premier in Phase I worth 12,600 pts with MFs at $1429.28 with MF ratio at 0.1134 (#19 on list). So KL does have some low MF/point buys. In fact, I own one of the 2 Bd Premier Phase I deeds just for points.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’m going to be a contrarian GOF because I own at Kingsland and prefer to stay there. I took my time and found a 2br platinum premier worth 14,400 points. I’ll never stay in that unit, I book the cheapest 2br ground unit in gold season. I can get almost 3 weeks for my points, bringing the cost down below $700/week (TUG bargain week rates). If i’m paying to fly to Hawaii I’m staying as long as possible. Kingsland has the best superpool in the HGVC system, with a large adult area devoid of screaming kids.

My second choice would be a 1br at Bay Club, the units are as large as the Kingsland smaller 2br. Small pool but once again, not many kids. There is a nice hot tub between bldgs 2/3 to enjoy an adult beverage and watch a Kona sunset.

Kohala is my least favorite, small units, small pool, packed with kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
My second choice would be a 1br at Bay Club, the units are as large as the Kingsland smaller 2br. Small pool but once again, not many kids. There is a nice hot tub between bldgs 2/3 to enjoy an adult beverage and watch a Kona sunset.

Kohala is my least favorite, small units, small pool, packed with kids.

The pool at Kohala is larger than Bay Club (although not by much), but it's a very short walk from any Kohala unit to the Bay Club pool, so I'd not consider than distinguishing. The smaller Kohala unit is a factor, but it also has access to the Hilton pools. We've stayed at both and I slightly prefer Bay Club. Both Bay Club and Kohala have a superior location to KL, but the latter does have a better pool and pool bar.

Cheers.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Per the HGVC rules, you are only allowed to rent out your Home Week Booking.

If you like KingsLand, there is a 2 Bd Premier in Phase I worth 14,400 pts with MFs at $1762.32 with MF ratio at 0.1224 (#26 on the list) and 1 Bd Premier in Phase I worth 12,600 pts with MFs at $1429.28 with MF ratio at 0.1134 (#19 on list). So KL does have some low MF/point buys. In fact, I own one of the 2 Bd Premier Phase I deeds just for points.
Can you please tell me "list" these MF's are rated on?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

I am not sure that I understand your question. The list (per our input from owners) is the best MFs per points. So if you are looking to purchase an HGVC resort just for the points, then the list would be a good resource to use in your decision.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Here is the link to the awesome spreadsheet that @GT75 has created with the best MF per point ratios. Anytime you need info on a particular resort, the sticky section on the very top of the forum usually has it. From MF’s to ROFR data to information on the different resorts and even helpful articles, there’s so much information there. Use it to your advantage.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I own HGVC units and love the system. But, I bought my first unit retail and was "pot committed". Made the best of things etc.

Be SURE owning a timeshare makes sense for you at all. You can currently rent a 2 bdm Kingsland from Expedia etc for less then $300/night. IF there are 4 of you traveling, with the resort fees you will pay about $400/night or $2800 for the week.

There are other nice condos in the Waikoloa area you can rent 2 bdm for much less, $150-250/night or so. There are some spectacular units with Hilton Hotel pool access for around $300-500/night total. Check them out on VRBO or Resortica Hawaii. We are renting a 3 bdm Kolea unit with private beach and Hilton pool passes for less than $500/night later this year (off season).

IF you paid $14k for the timeshare to get enough points for a week/yr in a 2 bdm and your MF was $1600/year, you would hit break even at about 12 yrs at Kingsland. Break even compared to renting a unit at Kolea (not apples to apples) in 7 years and break even compared to Beach Villas, Fairway, Vista etc about 90 years!

There ARE some advantages to owning over renting, (availability, consistent product, resort environment etc) but also some disadvantages. You can only stay where HGVC has properties. We recently rented a very nice house in Bend OR. $175/nt. No HGVC in Bend. Also, you are committed to the system and will have to go to the effort to sell if you no longer want it.

Timeshare can be great if you can maximize it's use (buy Platinum / travel Gold. Buy 2 bdm/book 1 bdm) but internet and VRBO etc have changed the game. Be sure Timeshare is right for you.

Last edited: