• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you seen your trading power drop because you deposited TOO early?

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
In my many years here on TUG I've read a few posts where people have hypothesized that their sudden drop in trading power (TP) was caused because they deposited their week MORE than a year in advance. When I read those posts I didn't believe it was possible. Why would RCI or II lower your TP when they have it available for > a year?

Today I deposited my 2010 week, at Tenbury, that has been a tiger trader with RCI for many years. It happens to be a bright red winter week (#27) in South Africa. It is now a mediocre-poor trader. :(

A little history: About two years ago RCI adjusted the TP of many SA resorts. Many Tuggers saw their TP drop drastically, some stayed the same and a few increased. Red weeks at Tenbury were not affected. :) I was a happy camper.

So, is my drop in TP due to:
1. RCI adjusting the perceived value of my resort or
2. Because the week was deposited too early (about 20 months out) or
3. Some other reason?

Tossing aside the fact that the resort is in SA have any of you seen a large change in TP when you deposited > 12 months out?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
YES! My supertrader Colorado weeks, prime summer, when deposited in 2006, too early for 2008, the weeks were terrible traders. I talked to JLB about it (sure miss JLB), he was very informative. He said that his RCI rep, whom he called Inside Guy, told him that depositing early can affect trading power negatively. The reason: there is no demand for anything deposited two years out. You need to wait for that time at exactly a year out. I did that this time, and my weeks are trading as well as ever--or better.

I am so sorry! I know how depressing this can be. I deposited my weeks into RCI points, when they were trading like blue weeks. Literally, my blue weeks traded EXACTLY the same as my summer weeks that year. UGH! :(

Now I know better. But it was a hard lesson.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Cindy. I'm thinking of calling RCI tomorrow and removing it, assuming no one has grabbed it yet. Then I could re-deposit it next summer, 12 months out.

e.bram

Reaction score
Maybe RCI figured out you are never going to use a SA resort so you have to take anything they give you for a trade. What else can you do with a SA week but give it to RCI. Why waste(from their point of view) a good trade on you since you have to deposit it with them anyway or lose the week.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the same thing with my Lowveld Lodge 2010, deposted 2 years out. I have done this iin the past, with good results, but this time, trading power is terrible! The 2010 week pulls about half of what my 2009 week pulls!

Dori:mad:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe RCI figured out you are never going to use a SA resort so you have to take anything they give you for a trade. What else can you do with a SA week but give it to RCI. Why waste(from their point of view) a good trade on you since you have to deposit it with them anyway or lose the week.

You could give it to one of the independent exchange companie that take SA. DAE even has an office in SA now, for example.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

RCI likes red SA weeks because it is one of the top vacation spots for many Europeans. If you'd done a little research you'd also know that TPI will also accept SA weeks.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called RCI today and they allowed me to remove the week. :) Now I'll have awhile to decide whether to give it to TPI or wait until 1 yr. out and try RCI again.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I waited b/c I didn't want to be affected by bulks

my resort bulks and I waited to deposit until all the bulks were well gone for 6+ months. I think that the "deposit early" mantra is just a bunch of bunk, esp. if you have a high demand resort.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good that RCI allowed you to take the week back. I deposited a week with them a year ago and was disappointed immediately in its apparent trade value. They did allow me to take it back, but told me they were allowing me to do so "just this once."

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Phil,
I think you misspoke. You know that week 27 is a Winter week, not a summer one, right? I'm not disputing its former trading power, etc., just meaning to point out that the seasons are reversed there, it being in the Southern Hemisphere (ditto Australia).

Fern

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phil,
I think you misspoke. You know that week 27 is a Winter week, not a summer one, right? I'm not disputing its former trading power, etc., just meaning to point out that the seasons are reversed there, it being in the Southern Hemisphere (ditto Australia).

Fern

:D Yep, forgot which hemisphere I was in Fern! Good catch. It's a beautiful climate there in July. High temps in the low 70s. Most schools are out. Near the ocean.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
my resort bulks and I waited to deposit until all the bulks were well gone for 6+ months. I think that the "deposit early" mantra is just a bunch of bunk, esp. if you have a high demand resort.

Madge, our former RCI guru, stated that depositing early was only necessary if you had a weak-mediocre trader. Strong traders do not seem to be affected by late deposits. I've deposited a couple of my strong traders as late as 4 months out and they didn't suffer.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
YES! My supertrader Colorado weeks, prime summer, when deposited in 2006, too early for 2008, the weeks were terrible traders. I talked to JLB about it (sure miss JLB), he was very informative. He said that his RCI rep, whom he called Inside Guy, told him that depositing early can affect trading power negatively. The reason: there is no demand for anything deposited two years out. You need to wait for that time at exactly a year out. I did that this time, and my weeks are trading as well as ever--or better. ...
I'll make my one comment and then stay out of this thread.

This has always been a problem with the RCI Weeks system. One person could deposit their week one day and another the next. The former person just beat a bulk spacebank and gets great trading power; the latter person deposits just after a bulk spacebank (now there is a high supply of weeks and trading power has gone down) and they suffer mediocre to poor trading power. (See elaine's message - she is right.) The same thing can happen if you deposit too early before requests begin to come in. Since trading power is established when you deposit, you're stuck.

The solution is to belong to a system, any system, that tells you what your trading power will be when you deposit. As the TUG slogan says, knowledge is power.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you philemer so much for posting this thread. I didn't know this about depositing too early. Now I know.

Janna

legalls

TUG Member
Reaction score
World Cup in South Africa

I'm surprised that RCI hasn't figured out that the Soccer World Cup is scheduled for June and July of 2010 in South Africa. I would think that anyone with a South Africa week could rent it for more than what a trade to RCI would benefit you. If you hold on for awhile I'm sure your South Africa week will increase in value for 2010.

Rick

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm surprised that RCI hasn't figured out that the Soccer World Cup is scheduled for June and July of 2010 in South Africa. I would think that anyone with a South Africa week could rent it for more than what a trade to RCI would benefit you....

Rick

Excellent point. I'll look into. :) Just noticed that one of the semi-final games will be on 7/7/2010 in Durban. Hey, that's my week! :) What do you think it would rent for?

Last edited:

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My folks always wait to deposit at a year out with this theory of no demand yet, thus lower trade power. Not that I wouldn't believe them, but you have affirmed the theory.

Phil, would you mind taking the time to update this thread once you do deposit to see if it holds true?

Thanks,
Jana

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phil, would you mind taking the time to update this thread once you do deposit to see if it holds true?

Thanks,
Jana

I'll sure try to remember. :) Not sure what I'll do with it but I'll try to update here. I'd do anything for a fellow Minnesotan.

e.bram

Reaction score
If you deposit a week in DAE or TPI what kind of weeks do people deposit in these exchange companies? Dogs. So it is dog for dog. And less selection of dog than you can get fron RCI or II.
What good does it do if the other trading cos get European weeks(that is what you get for your SA week), with the high cost of traveling today, especially in prime time.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

e.bram

Reaction score
Philemer:
Well, maybe from an Idaho point of view, where you have to travel to everywhere.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Philemer:
Well, maybe from an Idaho point of view, where you have to travel to everywhere.

OUCH! And I'm not even from Idaho. However, speaking as someone who has to travel to everywhere I am still experienced enough to distinguish quality exchanges. Thankfully, I have a good job and great family to accompany me to what you may consider dogs.