• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you rented your timeshare through VRI?

kane

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering renting my week this year through the management company which is VRI. I have their rental authorization paperwork, but one clause that disturbs me is:

VRI will not notify you whether the unit is rented or not rented.

Now, that seems a little "stinky" if you know what I mean. With that clause in place, they could rent the unit and keep the money and never acknowledge whether they rented it or not.

Anyone here with experience in renting through VRI? Opinions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does VRI charge an upfront fee? How much?

What happens if your timeshare doesn't rent after you list it with them?

Most Tuggers rent their own timeshares, because it's easy to do, and then you keep all the profit.

Right now, a lot of people are trying to rent their timeshares, so you want to price your week competitively, market it well, and make sure you have a lot of traffic - because you have a lot of competition. I personally use these cheap or free websites to post my Ads:

TUG Timeshare Marketplace - http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/
1 year Membership - $15
Ads - free up to 25

www.craigslist.org (free)

www.redweek.com
Membership - $14.99 for 12 months
Timeshare Rental Ads - $24.99/ea for 6 Months
Timeshare Resale Ads - $59.99/ea for 12 Months

www.myresortnetwork.com
Membership - free
Timeshare Rental Ads - $19.95 ($24.95 - floating weeks)
Timeshare Resale Ads - $34.95

There is also a list of resale websites at the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting, board that you may want to take a look at.

On Craigslist, you need to create a Craigslist Acct., and every 3 days, you can renew your Ads with the click of a button. You don't have to rewrite the Ads - if you create an Acct. they will be saved in your Acct. and you can just use the "renew" function, to renew the oldest Ad every 3 days which will bring it to the top of the listings.

Good luck!

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering renting my week this year through the management company which is VRI. I have their rental authorization paperwork, but one clause that disturbs me is:

Now, that seems a little "stinky" if you know what I mean. With that clause in place, they could rent the unit and keep the money and never acknowledge whether they rented it or not.

I placed my Resort on Cocoa Beach in the rental pool 2 wks ago for 4/01-4/08/12 and when I called to check on the status they were able to let me know that so far 6/7 nights are rented out. I also did this 4 yrs ago and they rented out all 7 nights and sent me a check for $1050 which is 60% of what they rent it for, minus cleaning fees etc. The one neg is that it is taxable income--however you are able to subtract the maint fees from what they pay you. Dawn

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...

I had VRI rent out an owned week for me at a VRI-managed resort once, a few years ago, due to a family situation which left me too little time to advertise a rental on my own on such short notice. VRI easily rented out the week, took a 35+% commission and sent me the balance sometime later.

While it is certainly true that VRI will not notify you if they rent out your week, it is equally true that they will advise you whether or not it is rented if you call and ask. Your concerns about an "under the counter" rental are certainly unfounded at the VRI level, but could still have some merit at the local resort level.
Such unethical behavior at the resort level would likely cost the resort manager his / her continued employment by VRI if discovered and caught however.

Another poster mentioned "taxable income". Any rental involves taxable income for the owner of the week.
Perhaps that poster meant (quite correctly) that VRI will formally issue a 1099 if they handle the rental.
That said, rental income is taxable income with or without a 1099.

P.S. At any and all of the +/- 130 resorts they manage, VRI charges firm rack rates which are considerably more money than the exact same rental ever commands privately. VRI will also charge the renter additional applicable local taxes on the total rental charge (an additional 12% in the FL instances with which I am personally familiar). In short, in the Internet era people can usually find the same week in the same place for considerably less money than the resort or management company charges (VRI included, but in most other cases as well) --- you might want to consider renting your week out on your own, if time permits...

Last edited:

kane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting through VRI

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try this once and see how it goes. I'll post results afterwards. I'm well aware of the IRS rules regarding rentals as I own 50 apartments and do my own taxes every year. I was more concerned about how VRI handles the rentals with the owners.