• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have any of you TUGGERS used Knee Defenders?

KDD

TUG Member
Reaction score
What were the reactions you got from the person you blocked? From the stewardess?

PS, we are not trying to be rude, just to survive a 10 hour flight.
My husband is 6'7" and our overseas flight AA is a 767 without the additional 3 inches. We've requested an upgrade using points (and $1000! but thats another story) and have bought these knee defenders on line and wondering if any TUGGERs have used them. We're thinking of giving 1 " of reclining. Its tough for the person in front, but it will be anyway because my husband's knees will be there pushing against the seat too.

Buying a 3rd seat to share doesnt help because he is long, not wide, and his legs go forward, not sideways. We are not business fliers so not frequent enough fliers to have earned special perks like emergency row and bulkhead.

We've gotten no help from the airlines. Its amazing. You'd think his height would qualify him for some kind of arrangement from the airline.

Last edited:

Gadabout

Reaction score
Haven't used them, but have read about them.

I would have absolutely no problem about someone tall who is travelling alone asking me politely not to put my seat back (we have tall people in our family too). I might look at the person to make sure they're actually tall, as I'm sure anyone would, but otherwise I wouldn't mind.

However, I would NOT be happy about someone using a device to do so, whether they had a valid reason to or not, and would complain. From what I have read in the airline magazines, they are more or less prohibited anyway.

Another option would be for the person travelling with the tall person to trade seats with the affected person ahead of him. That way, no device necessary, and no potentially grumpy person or flight attendant. I would much rather trade seats myself, and it's not as though you're seated far away from each other. Just a thought, anyway. :)

When did the emergency row become a perk? Every time I fly, they're always asking if people will trade seats because of the strength and age requirements.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think you are out of luck in your plan to use them on AA. With reference to Knee Defenders, this quote, identified as an AA corporate communication, was posted on Flyer Talk back in 2004:
Flight attendants may encounter customers using seat-restricting devices, currently available under such brand names as "Knee Defender" (tm) to limit the ability of the seat in front of them to recline.

AA policy prohibits the use of devices that diminish the design function or capability of any aircraft part or component.

Beginning March 15, the following notice will appear in the "Passenger Information" section of American Way:

"American Airlines does not permit the use of any device that could cause damage to existing equipment, or that may diminish the design, function or capability of any aircraft part or component."

This policy will ensure that every customer has the opportunity to use the aircraft's equipment in the manner for which it was designed.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
KDD said:
We've gotten no help from the airlines. Its amazing. You'd think his height would qualify him for a handicap.
It's not a legal handicap to be tall.

An airline might require an extra-wide person to purchase two adjacent seats or a seat in business or first class - for the comfort of other passengers. In this case, for DH's comfort, you have the option of buying a business class ticket, which will provide the extra room.

I agree with Gadabout. Ask me nicely and, if you're tall, I'll try to be accommodating when sitting in front of you. But if you jam my seat with an unauthorized tool and then ask, once told you can't use it, I likely won't be as accommodating.

Actually, buying a third seat, as you mention, should help significantly, because DH can lift the armrest between the two seats, allowing him to angle his legs, switching seats occasionally for different positioning. I almost always take advantage of such a comfort option when there is a vacant economy seat next to me.

Last edited:

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
KDD said:
You'd think his height would qualify him for a handicap.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but for those folks that really are handicapped, your comment is a bit offensive. Anyone who has limited mobility in life would surely wish that they could have such an easy problem to solve by buying a seat in business class or even an extra coach seat.

Sharon

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Is this an overnight flight? If so, I would be really upset if I couldn't recline my seat to sleep because the person behind me had something blocking it. Get to the airport early and see if there are any exit rows available when you check in.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right around the same time the airlines made the space between the seats too small that someone of even average height must sit with their knees banging into the seat in front of them. When you couple that with a "seat recliner" it can be a rather torturous trip for some of us.

I've asked people not to recline fully and have had a mix of replies - personally I wish none of the seats would recline, granted that would be inappropriate on overnight/longhaul flights.

What is particularly annoying is the fact that more often than not the recliner is much shorter and not in need of the additional space.

Gadabout said:
When did the emergency row become a perk?

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I'm not much of a recliner except for overnight flights. I find it uncomfortable to have the seat reclined more than a few inches unless I'm trying to sleep. I've never thought of reclining as giving me more room.

KDD, make sure you and hubby sign up for AA's Gold/Platinum challenge before your trip. Depending on the fare you purchased, you need to fly 5000/10000 miles for Gold or 10000/20000 miles for Platinum. Those miles must be earned within a 90 day period.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
KDD said:
What were the reactions you got from the person you blocked? From the stewardess?

PS, we are not trying to be rude, just to survive a 10 hour flight.
My husband is 6'7" and our overseas flight AA is a 767 without the additional 3 inches. We've requested an upgrade using points (and $1000! but thats another story) and have bought these knee defenders on line and wondering if any TUGGERs have used them. We're thinking of giving 1 " of reclining. Its tough for the person in front, but it will be anyway because my husband's knees will be there pushing against the seat too.

Buying a 3rd seat to share doesnt help because he is long, not wide, and his legs go forward, not sideways. We are not business fliers so not frequent enough fliers to have earned special perks like emergency row and bulkhead.

We've gotten no help from the airlines. Its amazing. You'd think his height would qualify him for a handicap.

I know the feeling. I am 6'6 245 lbs but I would never even think of trying to stop someone else from reclining their seat. Thats just plain inconsiderate. You have no right to stop anyone from reclining their seat.

Your not going to have any luck using those knee defenders. I have been on two flights recently, AA and Delta, where passengers were told to remove them from the seats. One gave the flight attendant a very hard time and was told he would be met by law enforcement when the flight landed if he didnt comply. He did.

The way I see it he has a couple choices. Be a man and stop complaining about it, pay for business class or dont fly. I am truly amazed anyone would even buy these. Shows the way some people think. They wont pay to upgrade to a bigger seat and instead of being a little uncomfortable make someone else uncomfortable. Give me a break.

And saying being tall is a handicap is an insult to anyone who is really handicapped and among the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is really tough is that, with airlines having shrunk the space available to passengers, if the person in front of you reclines, you have no choice but to do it yourself. Using a device to prevent that is just plain inconsiderate.

If you want more space, you have two choices: buy a premium class seat, or mount a campaign to get the airlines to give coach passengers more room. Impairing another passenger's ability to use the space s/he rented from the airline is not the answer.

Gadabout

Reaction score
And in the meantime, get on all the frequent miles plans you can--via your grocery card, credit card, etc., and save those points for upgrades.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm tall but very glad the seats recline. I know I'll be hearing from the 'posture police' but if forced to sit upright in any chair or seat, my lower back soon (maybe an hour) causes me so much pain that I have become physically ill. (not pretty anywhere but especially not on a plane.)

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always have to recline my seat. But that is your right when you fly. Nothing wrong with that in the least. Attempting to stop someone else from reclining is another story.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The terrible thing about the airlines' reclining seats is this...if the person in front of you reclines, you *must* also recline, or else you are left with a seat back in your face...I'm one of those people who always sits up straight, even when I have no seat back at all. I much prefer the European train model, where the recline of the seat is a forward slide...if you choose to recline, your seat rolls forward, into your *own* space, not the space of the person behind you.

JMHO, of course.

Fern

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a tall and rather wide husband. While we would not buy devices to prevent reclining, if he sits with his legs in front of him, in his own space, bent at the knees and not extended under the seat in front of him, his knees touch the seat in front. He will request that the person in front of him not recline. He doesn't deliberately dig his knees into the seat in front to make it uncomfortable, but unless we're in an exit row, it's pretty much impossible for him to move his legs anywhere that allow the person in front to recline.

Even on an overnight flight, I keep my seat up unless there's no one behind me. I agree with Fern, seats should "recline" into your own space, not encroach on someone else's. JMHO.

Bev

KDD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback

Thank you for all the feedback, and I appreciate knowing that AA won't allow them. The Knee Defenders site took a different slant, but then they are trying to sell their product.

Gadabout

Reaction score
KDD said:
Thank you for all the feedback, and I appreciate knowing that AA won't allow them. The Knee Defenders site took a different slant, but then they are trying to sell their product.

You should return them and get your money back--I can't believe they didn't know up front that something like this just would not fly (sorry, couldn't help it :D ).