• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hassle depositing my non svn sdo week

sachs1999

TUG Member
Reaction score
just got a major hassle depositing my week. I reserved march 13, prime week, when i bought it through ebay and had it transfered to me, I just called to deposit it to my II and they said no. I have a PGA week and have had no problems before reserving good weeks and depositing them. Finally the supervisor said he would do it this time but noted on my file they would not do it again, come on. Is everyone else having this much phone, ie 45 minutes on hold for them to do it finally?

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek:
just got a major hassle depositing my week. I reserved march 13, prime week, when i bought it through ebay and had it transfered to me, I just called to deposit it to my II and they said no. I have a PGA week and have had no problems before reserving good weeks and depositing them. Finally the supervisor said he would do it this time but noted on my file they would not do it again, come on. Is everyone else having this much phone, ie 45 minutes on hold for them to do it finally?

In a word "yes". I tried to get them to deposit my deeded week (platinum) and wound up with a silver summer week. Many on Tug have said that resale weeks, not being a part of SVN, should be able to deposit a reserved week. I had to talk to two supervisors to finally get two shoulder weeks deposited for my 2 br LO. One supervisor deposited two studios!:eek: I am a newbie, and so part of the problem, aside from it being late in the year, with no good reservations available, is that perhaps I didn't have the "talking points" down to convince them to deposit a platinum week for me.

While I have no evidence of this, I have wondered if the numbers of cheap "company 47", floating 1-52, weeks bought as traders has increased, and so the reservation agents at SVN are becoming more resistant to depositing non-banked weeks. Just a thought....

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not me. I had a PGA week reserved for March 15th 2009 and had it deposited into II no problem. Same with my SDO this year. You just need to "educate" them that they HAVE to give you that week. They have not given me any grief but I am pretty firm and start out saying (nicely) "I am NOT in SVN with this unit so..."

Katherine

bogeygolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not me. I had a PGA week reserved for March 15th 2009 and had it deposited into II no problem. Same with my SDO this year. You just need to "educate" them that they HAVE to give you that week. They have not given me any grief but I am pretty firm and start out saying (nicely) "I am NOT in SVN with this unit so..."

Katherine

Katherine,

Perhaps you can share some "talking" points when your speaking with the SVN supervisor to do this? What do you say to "educate" them that they have to give you that week?

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Katherine,

Perhaps you can share some "talking" points when your speaking with the SVN supervisor to do this? What do you say to "educate" them that they have to give you that week?

I'd like to hear this also.

I own a Platinum float week at SBP and can't seem to get them to deposit a May-Aug 09 week that I requested. I was open to any week during this period. They say they are only obligated to deposit a week within my period owned which is week 9-47 & 48.

Since I couldn't get any of those weeks deposited I made a reservation for the 4th of Jul 09 while I was on the phone with them and told them I had every intention of renting it out. They could have cared less. I've owned this resale week for five years now and never had a problem getting a May week deposited before.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned everything I know from PAT (grayfal) so credit where credit is due.

Here is what I do. I first make a great reservation (like 4th July). I don't say anything to the rep at the time. OR, if you have a well deeded week already, then the reservation is not necessary.

Then, I call Starwood Owner services and say that I would like to have my (reserved or deeded) week deposited in II. I am really nice about it but mention right away that my unit is NOT in SVN and therefore I would like to have my exact week deposited.

They always say they can't because they have a special II "team" that does the deposits. I say that because I am not in SVN, I actually "own" the week I reserved and therefore I would like to have that very week deposited (due to good trading...). I tell them that in the past, they put me on hold and contacted their "II department" to have my very week deposited. In the past, they have "created" special weeks that are my exact reserved week and have deposited those in II.

I usually hear confusion (hmmmm, we've never done that before...) so I just keep saying over and over again that I am NOT in SVN and by my contract I am entitled to the week I have deeded/reserved. I basically just repeat myself over and over again and keep asking that they put me on hold while they contact their II people to do the deposit.

I have always been very nice about it and usually the reps are very nice too. But I find that I need to be on the phone for a while (I set aside my driving commute in the morning, LOL). And I just say the same thing over and over and over again!

1) I have reserved/have my deeded week
2) Not in SVN so this week is "mine"
3) Need to create this week in II for me especially so please put me on hold and contact the II deposit department and they will know what to do
4) I have done this in the past many times
5) It is in my contract that as a resale owner I can do this.

That's it. Just say it all nicely and politely and over and over and over again till you get what you want. I have yet to even have to talk to a manager.

I have deposited Falls, PGA and SDO this way with absolutely no problems at all. But you definitely cannot call and ask for a range of weeks. You can only ask for either your deeded or reserved week. Otherwise you are out of luck.

Katherine

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Katherine,

I don't understand this part: "I say that because I am not in SVN, I actually "own" the week I reserved". Are you saying I will have a better chance getting my Deeded week 3 at SDO deposited even though it floats 1-52? Thanks.

Carolyn

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Katherine,

I don't understand this part: "I say that because I am not in SVN, I actually "own" the week I reserved". Are you saying I will have a better chance getting my Deeded week 3 at SDO deposited even though it floats 1-52? Thanks.

Carolyn

Not to speak for Katherine, but I think what she means is this:

When you buy a resale mandatory resort, you have to join SVN, which means you have to accept their terms & conditions. One of their terms and conditions is that II deposits are controlled by SVO; you surrender your right to choose your week.

People who buy voluntary resorts on the resale market are not allowed to join SVN. Therefore, you cannot be bound by their T&C's. Therefore, if you reserve a week, it is yours to do with as you please.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I learned everything I know from PAT (grayfal) so credit where credit is due.

Here is what I do. I first make a great reservation (like 4th July). I don't say anything to the rep at the time. OR, if you have a well deeded week already, then the reservation is not necessary.

Then, I call Starwood Owner services and say that I would like to have my (reserved or deeded) week deposited in II. I am really nice about it but mention right away that my unit is NOT in SVN and therefore I would like to have my exact week deposited.

They always say they can't because they have a special II "team" that does the deposits. I say that because I am not in SVN, I actually "own" the week I reserved and therefore I would like to have that very week deposited (due to good trading...). I tell them that in the past, they put me on hold and contacted their "II department" to have my very week deposited. In the past, they have "created" special weeks that are my exact reserved week and have deposited those in II.

I usually hear confusion (hmmmm, we've never done that before...) so I just keep saying over and over again that I am NOT in SVN and by my contract I am entitled to the week I have deeded/reserved. I basically just repeat myself over and over again and keep asking that they put me on hold while they contact their II people to do the deposit.

I have always been very nice about it and usually the reps are very nice too. But I find that I need to be on the phone for a while (I set aside my driving commute in the morning, LOL). And I just say the same thing over and over and over again!

1) I have reserved/have my deeded week
2) Not in SVN so this week is "mine"
3) Need to create this week in II for me especially so please put me on hold and contact the II deposit department and they will know what to do
4) I have done this in the past many times
5) It is in my contract that as a resale owner I can do this.

That's it. Just say it all nicely and politely and over and over and over again till you get what you want. I have yet to even have to talk to a manager.

I have deposited Falls, PGA and SDO this way with absolutely no problems at all. But you definitely cannot call and ask for a range of weeks. You can only ask for either your deeded or reserved week. Otherwise you are out of luck.

Katherine
Exactly.......

Or you can just deposit it online with II.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not to speak for Katherine, but I think what she means is this:

When you buy a resale mandatory resort, you have to join SVN, which means you have to accept their terms & conditions. One of their terms and conditions is that II deposits are controlled by SVO; you surrender your right to choose your week.

People who buy voluntary resorts on the resale market are not allowed to join SVN. Therefore, you cannot be bound by their T&C's. Therefore, if you reserve a week, it is yours to do with as you please.
Exactly - and it says it in your T&Cs that are right on the Starwood Owners website when u log in and read about your week/ownership.
It is different then the T&Cs of SVN owners.

sachs1999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no problems doing my online deposit with the pga, but for some reason i could not do my sdo. I like the comment kath abou them somehow creating the same week you had reserved. The person said that my week was available for bulk banking anyway, march 20 at sdo, somehow I dont think that was a bulk bank week, but end of the day I got it done.

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between the 1-52 float weeks and the platinum float weeks when making reservations and when depositing, including in RCI. Are all the weeks for March 2009 already reserved? I want to buy SDO resale, mostly for using myself, but can't decide which to buy (except to buy only a larger one bedroom unit or a two bedroom LO).

Thanks for your help.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can someone explain the difference between the 1-52 float weeks and the platinum float weeks when making reservations and when depositing, including in RCI. Are all the weeks for March 2009 already reserved? I want to buy SDO resale, mostly for using myself, but can't decide which to buy (except to buy only a larger one bedroom unit or a two bedroom LO).

With the 1 - 52 float week, you can reserve and deposit any week.

With the Plat season week, you can only reserve and deposit a week during that season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill4728

Reaction score

Carolyn
When the deed says you own week 3 (but it floats 1-52) The week on your deed is for accounting purposes only.

You have no better chance of reserving week 3 than any other owner.

patty5ia

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the platinum isn't any more valuable than the 1-52 float. Even with depositing? If you own platinum, wouldn't that mean you could only deposit those more valuable weeks (in AZ)?

Would your advice to me be to buy 1-52 for the least amount of money?

Thanks,
Patty

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the deed says you own week 3 (but it floats 1-52) The week on your deed is for accounting purposes only.

Not always true - with my SBP week, I can reserve my deeded week and unit from 24 to 12 month 1 day before use.
If I don't reserve it by the 12 month mark, it becomes available to other owners.
SBP was previously an "Embassy???" resort - as was SDO - so they might have similar T&Cs.
I know that SDO in RCI has priority trading into other Embassy resorts -'chemteach' Edye has more info about this - as I have never traded in RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Hi Bill - Starwood has some rules about depositing that are unique to the Starwood system and that's what we're discussing here.

With weeks purchased from the developer, Starwood reserves the right to choose the week you deposit.

But with weeks that were purchased resale, you can insist that they deposit your deeded week, even though it's only for recording purposes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I understand you correctly, the platinum isn't any more valuable than the 1-52 float. Even with depositing? If you own platinum, wouldn't that mean you could only deposit those more valuable weeks (in AZ)?

Would your advice to me be to buy 1-52 for the least amount of money?

Thanks,
Patty

Yes, some weeks have stronger trading power. At SDO, March (baseball Spring Training) and Easter have the highest trading power. You could deposit a March or Easter week with both a Plat ownership and a floating 1-52 ownership.

Some people seek out the Plat weeks because they intend to requalify them and the Plat weeks have more Staroptions than the floating weeks. If you aren't going to requalify it, Staroptions don't come into play.

When you deposit with II, what matters is the week you deposit, not whether it's a Plat week or a 1-52 floater.

So you are looking at different things depending on whether you are going to requalify, or just trade in II. The main reason to exchange with II is the 3 day Starwood priority that RCI does not have.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Bill - Starwood has some rules about depositing that are unique to the Starwood system and that's what we're discussing here.

With weeks purchased from the developer, Starwood reserves the right to choose the week you deposit.

But with weeks that were purchased resale, you can insist that they deposit your deeded week, even though it's only for recording purposes.
It is not 'for deed recording' - At SBP, the 'old' Embassy weeks - are the actual week of ownership - it is a fixed week/unit that can also float. Really! :hi:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is not 'for deed recording' - At SBP, the 'old' Embassy weeks - are the actual week of ownership - it is a fixed week/unit that can also float. Really! :hi:

Carolyn and Patty5ia own or want to buy at SDO (and so do I) and that's the question I was responding too, but we have several different topics going here. :D

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carolyn and Patty5ia own or want to buy at SDO (and so do I) and that's the question I was responding too, but we have several different topics going here. :D
Yes, I know - at SDO - they have a similar "embassy' contract....that is why I was referring you to chemteach who also owns there....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I know - at SDO - they have a similar "embassy' contract....that is why I was referring you to chemteach who also owns there....

Now I'm REALLY confused! (Not unusual for me! :D)

Are you saying that this applies to SDO as well????

It is not 'for deed recording' - At SBP, the 'old' Embassy weeks - are the actual week of ownership - it is a fixed week/unit that can also float. Really!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just to clarify, if you own an original BP week (pre-Starwood) that is not in the network (i.e., you've never agreed to the SVN membership terms), you have the legal right to reserve and deposit any available week within your season. This is almost assuredly true for the original SDO and SVV weeks as well, but I've never seen the documentation so I can't swear by it.

Starwood attempts to enforce the SVN rules, which allow them to deposit a week of their choice, but they CANNOT force you to agree. Tell them you wish to speak to the legal department. Do a google search -- contact their General Counsel. They will back down and allow you to deposit the week you reserved (not just your deeded week) because you have the legal right to do so.

Do not let them get away with having their cake (blocking you from joining the network) and eating it too (trying to enforce network rules).

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't deposit starwood resort in II because of the hassle. I don't want to spend 30 minutes and arguing with the supervisor. This is too stressful. I buy non starwood trader for II.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is getting too excited about all this. I have not once had to fight with anyone or ask for any legal department!

I think I am going to start a new business for you all. Here is the deal:

1) You and I set up mutually agreed upon conference call with Starwood desk.
2) I do all the talking for you and request your reserved or deeded week to be deposited.
3) Starwood acts all nice to me and deposits the week you want.
4) I get paid by 1 free week by you per every successful II deposit.

Sound ok? :D I think it's a sound business plan. What do you think?

Katherine