• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

has wyndham ever changed the amount of points needed at a resort over the years??

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
during a tour i mentioned i had heard the points needed for may have changed over the years up and or down.. he got a book from 2014 and the 2020 and they appeared to be the same for the resort we toured at in crossville TN..

just wondering if that has ever happened or how does wyndham dilute the points over time. ??

saw a 600k contract in vegas selling for 3K with 3100 maintenance fees.. looks like a good deal if can travel a lot.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the back of my mind, I seem to recall a minor change to a couple of points charts being discussed here. Generally speaking, though, points charts have pretty much been written in stone.

I assume the contract is Grand Desert Tower 3, which calculates out to 3,042 in 2021. Bear in mind that there is also a Club Fee that would add a little under $400 additional to your cost. That covers the "free" internal exchanges within Club Wyndham and RCI Weeks membership.

Very often when you look at ebay listing, the lister includes that club fee in the quoted maint fee cost. Because of that, I always go to the maintenance fee list found in a sticky atop this forum and calculate what the actual maint fee is for that contract, and add $0.64 per thousand points for Club Fee. That way you get a certain picture of the cost to own (at present) and sometimes you can see some egregious errors by listers that are scaring away bidders who don't do this homework.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
yeah it been while since i was in the wyndham threads so some of the little fees i forget about in the grand scheme of things. I do remember the salesman today talking about the "free" exchange in wyndham and RCI with your membership.. guess he forgot to mention the $400 bucks to cover that "Free" another thing i brought up was the housekeeping points.. or fees.. is that included in the yearly MF as well??

I remember when i was looking at buying a contract some years ago something i was reading kept me from making the leap..

how would you rate Wyndham as timeshare company on owners benefits and rights over the years.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah it been while since i was in the wyndham threads so some of the little fees i forget about in the grand scheme of things. I do remember the salesman today talking about the "free" exchange in wyndham and RCI with your membership.. guess he forgot to mention the $400 bucks to cover that "Free" another thing i brought up was the housekeeping points.. or fees.. is that included in the yearly MF as well??

I remember when i was looking at buying a contract some years ago something i was reading kept me from making the leap..

how would you rate Wyndham as timeshare company on owners benefits and rights over the years.

Someone is going to correct me if I'm a little off here...

You get a reservation transaction for each 77K points. After you use those up, it's $19 for online or $30 per phone resv.
You get a housekeeping credit for each 70K points. After you use those up, it's a whopping $159 per stay.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can adjust the amount of points of each unit but the year total must remain the same. New resorts require a lot more points.

Affiliate resorts can change points and availability at anytime it seems.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
just wondering if that has ever happened or how does wyndham dilute the points over time. ??
For UDI resorts, there are allowances for re-balancing. For example, if some seasons/sizes are over-pointed (i.e. have very low demand) and other seasons/sizes are under-pointed (i.e. have very high demand) the trust is allowed to adjust the former down and the latter up, but the total has to remain the same across the entire association. I think it is a little trickier for fixed/floating weeks, but still possible. But, as far as I know, the Trust has never done that.

The only sense in which there is dilution over time is that newer resorts tend to require more points than older ones. However, the newer resorts are also often nicer/have more amenities/etc. so maybe that's not unreasonable. Either way, the resorts that exist when you bought will still exist, and still cost the same in the aggregate.

troy12n

Reaction score
They aren't supposed to be able to change the amount of points for units per unit, per season, but they can change the season definitions.

Like for instance, it's in the founding documents that, a 1BR Deluxe is 12,000 pts per night Su-Th and 15,000 pts Fri-Sat in High Season and 10,000/12,000 in Value season.

But they could change the weeks which define the seasons, in theory, completely eliminating value or quiet seasons completely, or making everyting Prime or High.

That was one of the selling points, "locking in vacation costs at today's prices"...

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
But they could change the weeks which define the seasons, in theory, completely eliminating value or quiet seasons completely, or making everyting Prime or High.
I don’t think this part is correct, because they also have to keep the total number of points for that property/HOA the same. They couldn’t simply make every week prime if it had previously been a mix, because the total points would no longer balance.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this part is correct, because they also have to keep the total number of points for that property/HOA the same. They couldn’t simply make every week prime if it had previously been a mix, because the total points would no longer balance.

They could, it would be a matter of taking the total points in a room type and dividing that total by number of contracts in that room type, then weighting for weekend to weekday differential. Prime points would go down on the chart, all other seasons would go varying degrees of up.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With a UDI they could adjust points for certain weeks but for every week they make higher they would have to lower another so that the net is the same. If they wanted to they could raise week 52 by 100,000 points and then lower 50 weeks by 2000 each or 10 specific weeks by 10,000. In general this doesn't happen so it isn't anything to worry about.

When people complain about the points they usually are referring to the new resorts costing more. So at one point an owner could stay at any wyndham in a 2 BR for a full week or longer for 300,000 for example. Those same resorts that were available at that time are the same cost in points but now there might be a dozen or more new resorts that 300,000 won't get a full week in prime in a 2 BR.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
right i forgot about the housekeeping points.. how many HK points are needed per stay?? if it figured per day etc. ?

Someone is going to correct me if I'm a little off here...

You get a reservation transaction for each 77K points. After you use those up, it's $19 for online or $30 per phone resv.
You get a housekeeping credit for each 70K points. After you use those up, it's a whopping $159 per stay.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
right i forgot about the housekeeping points.. how many HK points are needed per stay?? if it figured per day etc. ?
They changed it. You used to get one per thousand and credit cost used to depend on unit size. Now it is one credit per stay and you get 1 per 70K I think.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
When a new resort is brought into the system the point chart is established and is considered to be set in stone. As several people pointed out Wyndham could readjust weeks to be higher or lower points if the season demand warranted changing but it isn't something that often happens. Say a high season week that went up to prime, a different prime season week would have to go down to high season so they ended up being the same number of total points.

Another thing that can happen is a new type of unit in a unit size could be added. So while that could happen it also isn't something that I've seen happen in a long time. The presidential reserve program has suffered significant losses in the last several years and there is no indication that Wyndham has plans to expand or improve the program. Wyndham's focus seems to be on lower end accommodations.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
in the online NXT book you can see the points needed for a resort, unit and time frame but nothing on the HK points needed for that reservation.. that is the number i am looking for to do a comparison between my RCI tpu's for booking stuff,, in and out of wyndham system and having Wyndham points contracts.

with my Presidential Villa at Grand Palms,, now a wyndham controlled resort of which i am not a convert to. Our unit is a 3 bed lock out that goes as a 2bed deluxe with a lock out hotel unit. usually with rci spacebank when banked as a 2 bd and a hotel we get 62 TPS's for trading.. that can be 3-4 week reservations over a year period.

from thanksgiving time 2020 to dec 2021 alone we/ and daughters have or will do 4 exchanges,, one to sedona thanksgiving 2020, (the only 1 bed unit,) one to hawaii wk 39, one to fairfield glades wk 41, and a week in florida in dec wk 49,, some prime/high time and some not.. the total was 66 TPU used.. MF are running some $980 a year on 62 tpu some $15.80 per tpu.. ( average)

When i see the points needed for the hawaii property the unit my daughter stayed in was like 230K.. you would need at least 300K contact with MF of appx 1500.. way more than it cost on by TPU's.

They changed it. You used to get one per thousand and credit cost used to depend on unit size. Now it is one credit per stay and you get 1 per 70K I think.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
in the online NXT book you can see the points needed for a resort, unit and time frame but nothing on the HK points needed for that reservation.. that is the number i am looking for to do a comparison between my RCI tpu's for booking stuff,, in and out of wyndham system and having Wyndham points contracts.

with my Presidential Villa at Grand Palms,, now a wyndham controlled resort of which i am not a convert to. Our unit is a 3 bed lock out that goes as a 2bed deluxe with a lock out hotel unit. usually with rci spacebank when banked as a 2 bd and a hotel we get 62 TPS's for trading.. that can be 3-4 week reservations over a year period.

from thanksgiving time 2020 to dec 2021 alone we/ and daughters have or will do 4 exchanges,, one to sedona thanksgiving 2020, (the only 1 bed unit,) one to hawaii wk 39, one to fairfield glades wk 41, and a week in florida in dec wk 49,, some prime/high time and some not.. the total was 66 TPU used.. MF are running some $980 a year on 62 tpu some $15.80 per tpu.. ( average)

When i see the points needed for the hawaii property the unit my daughter stayed in was like 230K.. you would need at least 300K contact with MF of appx 1500.. way more than it cost on by TPU's.
One HK credit per reservation. Doesnt matter unit size or length of stay.