• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone used Cape Escapes in South Africa to sell South African timeshare weeks?

kbassosc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned two weeks at Dikhololo in South Africa for about 20 years, and have been happy. Bought resale strictly to exchange, have never been to this resort, but have been happy with what we have been able to exchange into. We have taken our adult kids and grandkids on many wonderful trips using these weeks. Unfortunately, my husband, who has Parkinson's Disease, was diagnosed with progressive dementia last June and we have been advised to stop travelling. We need to get rid of our timeshares and the "kids" are not interested in taking them over.

I contacted Dikhololo to ask if they have a deed back program. They do not, but referred me to two real estate/timeshare resale companies, Cyclivacs and Cape Escapes. In checking the internet, it appears that Cape Escapes has a more robust program to help owners sell. They charge a one time listing fee of R399 which is $27 US. They do charge a commission if they are successful in selling for you. I am not concerned about what we might get for these weeks, we would gladly give them away; mainly just interested in discontinuing having to pay maintenance fees for weeks we can no longer use. We want to do this the right way, though. I am not interested in defaulting.

Has anyone had any experience using either of these companies to sell South African timeshares?

Thanks,
Karen

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will probably not be able to sell your SA timeshare. I gave mine away here on TUG.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

List your week in the above forum. Be sure and give all the information about the week. I think I just notified the timeshare of the transfer and they took care of it.

Suesue1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Cape Escapes to sell our Seapointer (but I keep thinking they OWNED the Seapointer..... it's been several years ago, so I don't quite remember). Anyway, they wanted bank information to deposit our check and I was not comfortable with giving that information, so I asked them to just credit the funds to our other South African timeshare's future MF's and they did. I used that timeshare until all the MF's were used up and then deeded it back to the company.

Not sure if that is of any help, but it was thru Cape Escapes......

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I understood it from research and communication with other owners at the time, the person who became owner of Seapointer was in charge of maintenance during the time of its fall from grace with RCI. It is also my understanding that was intentional. I simply turned off the spicket on MF's and walked away. I do not bless skullduggery with reward.

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this with my South Africa timeshare, too. I could go through Cape Escape, but with a previous South Africa timeshare, I just let the resort know I wasn't interested in it. They basically said, "No problem," but didn't give me any kind of deed back form and I stopped getting maintenance fee (levy) notices/bills so it seemed like they were good on their word -- kinda bizarre, but this was several years ago. It's smarter to do things on the up and up, but I do wonder if you can find any takers for these resorts, even if you give them away for free. (That said, they do seem to be popular in South Africa...).

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Cape Escapes for quite a few purchases and Nicky was my go to person. I'm not sure if she is still there or not. Good luck, South Africa timeshares have been good to me.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Cape Escapes for quite a few purchases and Nicky was my go to person. I'm not sure if she is still there or not. Good luck, South Africa timeshares have been good to me.

I made several great trades with my 2br/2ba Seapointer unit. Don't feel like I lost anything on it. But, do feel I should have been able to keep and use it, instead of having it go dead to RCI. The "new ownership" was to blame for that and I hold them completely responsible.