• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone stayed at Frenchman's Cove recently?

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering where they are with getting everything back after the hurricane, both at hotel and timeshare.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I was there in Aug 2018. The MFC is back up and running. They were replacing sofa beds when I was there. Rooms and resort itself were great! The beach needed more sand back in August. The neighboring hotels right now are in full on construction. They won’t be finished for a while. There were lots of restaurants open, beaches looked pretty good considering. I loved it so much I’m buying a week there. I think 2020 was the date for hotel reopening, but I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there 13 months ago.
The timeshare seemed completely recovered and fully running.
The hotel was closed, lots of damage.
I believe they were hoping to reopen late 19 or early 20.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We were just at Ritz STT last month -- the Ritz hotel was still closed (hoping to open by the end of the year) but Marriott Frenchman's Reef (the hotel) was supposed to be closed for awhile longer. The longer rumor is that they've not settled the insurance obligation for the hurricane damage and that no restorations had yet begun. I hope to visit MFC one of these days (St Thomas rocks) and will hope the hotel re-opens, as I love timeshares that share the hotel amenities.

Best,

Greg

fdough1

Reaction score
I was there in February and everything was up and running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fdough1

Reaction score
Hotel is shutdown. Claim is they are rebuilding but not a ton of activity.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there 13 months ago.
The timeshare seemed completely recovered and fully running.
The hotel was closed, lots of damage.
I believe they were hoping to reopen late 19 or early 20.
So the only pool access you had was just at the Cove pool. I love the pool at the Hotel, on the cliff. It is so beautiful. I'm planning to go back in June 2020. I sure hope it is completed. Thanks everyone for the replies

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a 3BDRM Gold and went in early July 2018 and really loved the resort. I think we'll wait until the hotel is up and running for our next trip because i can see how even better FC would be when hotel is fully functional.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Just got back yesterday. Frenchman’s cove up and running, but many Resorts and restaurants
Not back. All activities were great,staff friendly, Magen’s beach deserted. We ate in mostly, which was fine. Rented a car from Priceline (Avis, only 14000 miles, but dinged and filthy but got us all point a to b). Great happy hour. Will do full review soon.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from MFC and thoroughly enjoyed it. The resort appears to be fully back up and operational, and the rooms, staff and activities were great. We had a unit with a view we could never get tired of in the Jost Van Dyke building. Overall MFC exceeded our expectations and was just a great home base for a trip to the USVI. We definitely plan on going back soon.

We rented a car thru Costco with Avis and unexpectedly got a brand new 4dr Jeep. It took a day or two to get comfortable driving on the Left, but got used to it. Every day we drove to one of several destinations on St Thomas (Magen's Bay, Hull Beach, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, etc) and also drove back and forth to Red Hook ferry multiple times for trips to St John, 3 times on the people ferry and once using the car ferry. We had friends staying at the Westin St John during the same week so we got a chance to visit with them and get a feel for the Westin property, although we spent most of our time together off resort driving to some beaches including Hawksnest Beach.

The beaches ranged from beautiful to stunning...and spending time swimming, snorkeling, or just hanging out at them was the best part of our trip.

At Frenchman's Reef Resort and Morningstar Hotel, there are huge sections of buildings at this resort that are completely gutted shells, without exterior or interior walls. And we did not see any noticeable major work being done during our week there. I spoke with a few employees at MFC and while they were hopeful for a 2020 opening, they acknowledged that it did not seem likely based on the current state. At the current rate I am thinking this project won't be completed until more likely 2021, or even parts of it stretching into 2022. I can totally see how getting Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar, and the accompanying restaurants and pools, would take owning or staying at MFC to a whole new level of greatness. Because the only slight downside to MFC right now is the lack of more onsite or nearby dining choice options.

As to the rest of St Thomas, you can definitely see evidence of how the islands are still trying to recover and rebuild from the impact of the dual hurricanes in 2017. Charlotte Amalie has nowhere near the cheery Caribbean look and feel it had when we last visited in 2012. There seem to be a good number of formerly well known restaurants and beach bars, in both St Thomas and St John, that are either still not opened, still not fully operational, or may never open again. In speaking with locals on St Thomas and St John they seem to be making slow but steady progress, although some establishments won't be coming back online until at least 2020 or so.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from MFC and thoroughly enjoyed it. The resort appears to be fully back up and operational, and the rooms, staff and activities were great. We had a unit with a view we could never get tired of in the Jost Van Dyke building. Overall MFC exceeded our expectations and was just a great home base for a trip to the USVI. We definitely plan on going back soon.

We rented a car thru Costco with Avis and unexpectedly got a brand new 4dr Jeep. It took a day or two to get comfortable driving on the Left, but got used to it. Every day we drove to one of several destinations on St Thomas (Magen's Bay, Hull Beach, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, etc) and also drove back and forth to Red Hook ferry multiple times for trips to St John, 3 times on the people ferry and once using the car ferry. We had friends staying at the Westin St John during the same week so we got a chance to visit with them and get a feel for the Westin property, although we spent most of our time together off resort driving to some beaches including Hawksnest Beach.

The beaches ranged from beautiful to stunning...and spending time swimming, snorkeling, or just hanging out at them was the best part of our trip.

At Frenchman's Reef Resort and Morningstar Hotel, there are huge sections of buildings at this resort that are completely gutted shells, without exterior or interior walls. And we did not see any noticeable major work being done during our week there. I spoke with a few employees at MFC and while they were hopeful for a 2020 opening, they acknowledged that it did not seem likely based on the current state. At the current rate I am thinking this project won't be completed until more likely 2021, or even parts of it stretching into 2022. I can totally see how getting Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar, and the accompanying restaurants and pools, would take owning or staying at MFC to a whole new level of greatness. Because the only slight downside to MFC right now is the lack of more onsite or nearby dining choice options.

As to the rest of St Thomas, you can definitely see evidence of how the islands are still trying to recover and rebuild from the impact of the dual hurricanes in 2017. Charlotte Amalie has nowhere near the cheery Caribbean look and feel it had when we last visited in 2012. There seem to be a good number of formerly well known restaurants and beach bars, in both St Thomas and St John, that are either still not opened, still not fully operational, or may never open again. In speaking with locals on St Thomas and St John they seem to be making slow but steady progress, although some establishments won't be coming back online until at least 2020 or so.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We have a res for next June. So, if we are lucky, some of the nearby resorts will be open by then.

Question: does it make sense to rent a car or is it better to hire a taxi?

What are some of the things that you would recommend to someone who has never been to the Caribbean?

mogens.h1951

Reaction score

Personally I would never rent a car at St. Thomas - exclusively taxi or book a trip. in the US Virgin Islands, you are still driving on the left side of the road - and often hard driving.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a res for next June. So, if we are lucky, some of the nearby resorts will be open by then.

What are some of the things that you would recommend to someone who has never been to the Caribbean?

We rented a car when we were there a year ago.
My spouse is an excellent driver and was ok with having to drive on the other side of the road, although we did not drive at night.
Roads were very bumpy, curving and many street signs were missing.

That said, it is definitely a personal choice. No right or wrong answer.
If you have a willing driver and can be patient with the process it’s nice to have the freedom.
Without the adjacent resorts there is nothing really nearby walkable.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Just like Pamplemousse, we rented a car. My husband didn’t mind driving on the left side although some roads were a little scary to me! We rented a Jeep through L&L Jeep and they picked us up at the airport which was really convenient. The deciding factor for me was the price of cabs- it’s very high and they charge per person. With two kids that would be pricey! If you rent from somewhere that allows it you can take your car to St. John too on the car ferry, although since the storms there are fewer ferries and more crowded. As stated above there are no restaurants to walk to nearby.
If you don’t rent a car there are excursions you can do right from the resort.we did the Catamaran snorkel with the turtles. They have cool night kayaking and you can visit the British Virgin Islands. Check out http://www.adventurecenters.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We rented a car but spouse has been a professional driver for 30 years. We have found that a rental car is a must have for our enjoyment on vacation.

We don’t tend to go on excursions, we make our own excursion via car and exploring each destination.

There are steep hills and winding roads in St Thomas but I never felt unsafe driving with hubby except when he drove to the top hill where the sky tram goes. (I am afraid of heights) what a view but I have to be far from the edge!

We have driven on multiple islands in the Caribbean,Thailand and others. The only no go for hubby is Mexico so we no longer consider that as a possible destination.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks for those who responded about car rental vs: taxi.

Now the next question.... What is the most convenient airport to fly into for Frenchman's cove?

mogens.h1951

Reaction score
What is the most convenient airport to fly into for Frenchman's cove?

Cyril E. King International Airport (STT) - located two miles (3 km) west of Charlotte Amalie.
AA, Delta, JetBlue, United and others have services from various US airports

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from MFC and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Every day we drove to one of several destinations on St Thomas (Magen's Bay, Hull Beach, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, etc) and also drove back and forth to Red Hook ferry multiple times for trips to St John, 3 times on the people ferry and once using the car ferry. We had friends staying at the Westin St John during the same week so we got a chance to visit with them and get a feel for the Westin property, although we spent most of our time together off resort driving to some beaches including Hawksnest Beach.

For a future trip which would you prefer, MFC or the Westin St. John?

rifralex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman level Points
Hi, can someone tell the difference between Marriott Frenchman's Creek and The Ritz Carlton Club, St, Thomas?
We are a Marriott Points owner, and am staying at the Ritz Carlton Club, in December.
Thank you

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a future trip which would you prefer, MFC or the Westin St. John?
That is a very difficult question to answer...one that we are still debating ourselves. Since this was our first time staying in the Virgin Islands we probably our still too much of a novice to give an answer based on any kind of deep experience with either island.

We have been mulling over if we want to purchase a WSJ unit, or buy a MFC Gold season week since we are partial to Weeks 17-18. Or do we not buy either and just trade into MFC with our other Marriott units?

There are still many beaches on both St Thomas and St John we would like to visit. My wife loved MFC and the million dollar views from our unit in the Jost Van Dyke building. We were able to listen to the live music at the pool area during the week from our balcony. We had friends staying at WSJ the same week, and their unit was extremely nice as well. I liked that they had their own little pool and grilling area right near their unit if they didn't want to go down to the main pool complex. They were also in the 34 building so they had very good, full on views of Great Cruz bay, whereas Buildings 31, 32, and 33 are somewhat turned away from direct water views.

Although they are both in the USVI, each resort had a slightly different vibe. We liked both of them, and I don't think one can go wrong at either. But we are interested in going again soon, and we might stay at WSJ just to get a better idea of how that compares to MFC.

I will say though that whenever Marriott's Frenchman's Reef & Morningstar Hotel complex opens back up, I bet that will really take MFC back up another level from what it is now.