• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone opted to buy at Vidanta as opposed to their own condo at a private hi-rise with rooftop pool?

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
I'm just curious about my future plans and if I should just buy a condo in PV or NV vs. Getting into some sort of agreement with vidanta?

Can you buy a unit at vidanta? Why would you want to? Could you just stay there a few months? Is it feasible? Has anyone purchased a unit from vidanta and basically Airbnb rented it like a freehold condo? Is it possible?

Has anyone made the analysis as to why it would or wouldn't be a good idea to make vidanta your vacation home? As a opposed to your own private condo?

I like the fact that you dont need to manage your own condo and maintain it or try to rent it to recoup cost.

It is simpler to just pay as you go like a rental at vidanta.

Has anyone did this analysis and decided to stay at vidanta for say a month or two a year in their retirement years? Would that be a good idea or just too expensive? 1-2 months of grand luxxe weeks will add up fast

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It would be very expensive! They do not rent them out week by week or month by month. Only owners rent out their weeks and that could be challenging to get as many as you want and rentals are pretty expensive.

You would have to buy 1/2 as many weeks as you planned to go and then pay MF of $2500+ for each week for a 2-bedroom or larger unit in the building with the pool on the roof. You could use your Residence weeks in conjunction with your Registered weeks, the MF are the same per week and some of the Residence weeks have a shorter time frame for booking and limitations on when you can use them.

They do sell full ownership condos between the Grand Mayan and the Sea Garden.

Check VRBO for some nice condo rentals in PV and NV.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I have a friend that bought a 1 BR condo in old PV. Nice building w/security and a rooftop infinity pool; unit is on the small side, but adequate. Think he paid ~$250k, but it was ~5 years ago. There are condo fees and he rents it out part time, so isn’t living there all the time. It’s quite a different experience from Vidanta.

Another option would be a longer term rental. One of the waiters at El Patron by the soccer fields has a 1 BR apartment he rents out for $500/month.

I quite enjoy staying at Vidanta, but don’t think I could live there full time.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Just got back from 2 weeks at NV. We were talking to a couple, I think from MN, that were in the middle of a 10 week stay. So I guess it’s being done. I could see 3 weeks, but it would be a budget buster. We’d have to get a whole lot better at eating in the room, shopping off the resort, and not participating in the “happy hour”. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Vidanta NV have Residences or one building that's a "condo" type situation? I sat next to a lady on the plane and she kinda made it sound like it was a 1-3 month condo type situation (they even stored their own small appliances there and such). Or so she claimed. Although if Vidanta wants like $250,000 for a 2 BR Grand Luxxe, I cannot imagine how much a condo for 1-3 months would cost. Better off getting your own condo, IMO closer to PV.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I have a friend that bought a 1 BR condo in old PV. Nice building w/security and a rooftop infinity pool; unit is on the small side, but adequate. Think he paid ~$250k, but it was ~5 years ago. There are condo fees and he rents it out part time, so isn’t living there all the time. It’s quite a different experience from Vidanta.

Another option would be a longer term rental. One of the waiters at El Patron by the soccer fields has a 1 BR apartment he rents out for $500/month.

I quite enjoy staying at Vidanta, but don’t think I could live there full time.
As an aside, El Patron has become my new favorite restaurant when staying at the Buganvileas.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Just got back from 2 weeks at NV. We were talking to a couple, I think from MN, that were in the middle of a 10 week stay. So I guess it’s being done. I could see 3 weeks, but it would be a budget buster. We’d have to get a whole lot better at eating in the room, shopping off the resort, and not participating in the “happy hour”. Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When talking to folks at the MP Marina, many stay for weeks at a time. Easier going to the many restaurants around there, and a whole lot less walking.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Doesn't Vidanta NV have Residences or one building that's a "condo" type situation? I sat next to a lady on the plane and she kinda made it sound like it was a 1-3 month condo type situation (they even stored their own small appliances there and such). Or so she claimed. Although if Vidanta wants like $250,000 for a 2 BR Grand Luxxe, I cannot imagine how much a condo for 1-3 months would cost. Better off getting your own condo, IMO closer to PV.
She was probably staying at Mayan Island which is close to the spine of GL buildings, if I remember correctly. Or it could be those condos between the GM and the SG that Phyllis was mentioning earlier.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Mayan Island is the Vidanta real estate arm that sold both sets of condos; the building near GL tower 5 generally has access to the MP pool since it went in early while the ones between GM & SG generally have Access to the GM pools. There’s a small gate for the latter for them to get in using key card access near the north end of the GM towers.