• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone had any luck trading into Marriott Pulse Mayflower (Washington, D.C.)?

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
I have a Newport Coast Villas Gold week (currently reserved for a week February, 2024, (but I could change that). I'd like to exchange that (using II) for a similar week at the Mayflower. Has anyone sucessfully made such an exchange?

I can't seem to find much information about exchanging into Pulse Clubs which leads me to believe that it doesn't happen frequently. Thanks!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
We used points to trade into the Mayflower this past July 4th week with no problems.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I see Mayflower through II occasionally but it is only studio 4/2 units or even 2/2 units and more likely during the colder weather times. If you need something larger, I don't think you could rely on being able to use II.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Thanks, folks, for your help so far. I negleted to mention that this is a pre-2010 resale week and no points are involved. We've been spoiled by full kitchen MVCs in the past, but would make do with just a small refrigerastor and coffee maker.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, folks, for your help so far. I negleted to mention that this is a pre-2010 resale week and no points are involved. We've been spoiled by full kitchen MVCs in the past, but would make do with just a small refrigerastor and coffee maker.
No coffee maker at the Mayflower - Pulse or Hotel. There is free coffee in the hotel lobby in the morning and pre-COVID there was free coffee on the 7th/Pulse floor lobby.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can enroll your week into for free (link here), then rent points and reserve through the Club with no electing of your week.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although we have enjoyed the Mayflower for weekend trips, I don't think I would want to stay there for a full week. The rooms are more like hotel rooms or suites so you will have to eat out for all of your meals. They also no longer offer the Titanium elite benefits to MVC stays unless things have changed recently. It is a great place for shorter stays, but an exchange for a week may be disappointing compared to NCV.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Although we have enjoyed the Mayflower for weekend trips, I don't think I would want to stay there for a full week. The rooms are more like hotel rooms or suites so you will have to eat out for all of your meals. They also no longer offer the Titanium elite benefits to MVC stays unless things have changed recently. It is a great place for shorter stays, but an exchange for a week may be disappointing compared to NCV.
I have gotten II trades into Mayflower 3 times but this was during Feb/March.

I loved being able to access their lounge as Titanium members. Had breakfast every morning and grabbed bottles of water there for our stay.

I loved our week there as it is so convenient in DC. The weekends it is like a ghost town there with almost everything closed nearby.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bill4728

Reaction score
The Custom house in Boston is the only "Pulse resort" which was sold as weeks and therefore will likely be the only resort which will trade in II very often. The other will have some trades in II but rarely or in slow travel times.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Custom house in Boston is the only "Pulse resort" which was sold as weeks and therefore will likely be the only resort which will trade in II very often. The other will have some trades in II but rarely or in slow travel times.
The Custom House is also the only Pulse resort that I would consider staying in for a full week.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just pay cash and try to use whatever code is appropriate. The Pulse in San Diego, San Francisco, and New York City are generally avaible both on II and via the Marriott web site (for cash or Bonvoy points)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten II trades into Mayflower 3 times but this was during Feb/March.

I loved being able to access their lounge as Titanium members. Had breakfast every morning and grabbed bottles of water there for our stay.

I loved our week there as it is so convenient in DC. The weekends it is like a ghost town there with almost everything closed nearby.

The location sounds great for visiting Washington, DC and how far are you from Union Station?

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The location sounds great for visiting Washington, DC and how far are you from Union Station?
I think it's a little over a mile, so kinda sorta walkable but it's also right on the Metro Red line (like 100 yards away at most from the Mayflower entrance) which goes through Union Station. You'd barely have to go outside.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a little over a mile, so kinda sorta walkable but it's also right on the Metro Red line (like 100 yards away at most from the Mayflower entrance) which goes through Union Station. You'd barely have to go outside.
Thank you for your quick response.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I think the Metro stop is less than 100 yards. It is right outside the main door and hang a left. Walk less than 5 minutes and the Metro is right there. Ride the train and get off in one or 2 stops. Very convenient.

If you walk past the first metro stop and the next one, you will come to a small park where food trucks are there during the week.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that titanium/platinum benefits are being offered to hotel guests, but not for timeshare. If the lounge still isn't open, free breakfast is provided in the restaurant. If I stay there in the near future, I will likely use MR/Bonvoy points for a hotel room rather than Abound, since the rooms are very similar.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just jumping back into this conversation......Union Station is more like 2 miles and you will stop at a lot of cross walks. I would guess more like 40 minutes on foot. Also, the metro appears convenient, but 1) it's expensive on week days, and 2) you don't want to take luggage on it. Much faster, simpler, and cheaper to take an Uber/Lyft/Cab.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I recently stayed at the Mayflower Pulse, I used Abound points and it wasn't too hard to get a reservation, I made it about three months in advance of the trip.

As others have said, the rooms are basically hotel rooms (at least the one we had was) but it was sufficiently spacious that I thought it was fine for an urban trip. Lots of stuff to eat around there.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
I didn't think it was worthwhile to open a new thread for the following question: Has anyone ever exchanged a MVC week for a cruise? I have a Gold week reserved at NCV (no points, just a deeded week and not interested in converting to points) and have heard that it is possible to exchange for a cruise through II. Has anyone ever done this? Where does the inventory of cruise weeks come from that I might be able to exchange into? AFAIK, people don't own cruise weeks as they do MVC weeks.

Thanks!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, the metro appears convenient, but 1) it's expensive on week days, and 2) you don't want to take luggage on it. Much faster, simpler, and cheaper to take an Uber/Lyft/Cab.
We have had the opposite experience. As a couple (or single) it's easy to take your luggage from Amtrak onto the Red Line and it's all of $2/person (half that if you're a senior) as long as you avoid rush hour.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just jumping back into this conversation......Union Station is more like 2 miles and you will stop at a lot of cross walks. I would guess more like 40 minutes on foot. Also, the metro appears convenient, but 1) it's expensive on week days, and 2) you don't want to take luggage on it. Much faster, simpler, and cheaper to take an Uber/Lyft/Cab.
Isn't the silver line now open from IAD to Union Station? Then get off at union and take the red line (IIRC) to the Mayflower stop that is on the same block? No need to walk far from IAD and Union Station. It was not easy to get from IAD to Union Station before the addition of the Metro stop at IAD.

Full disclosure, I have always rented vehicle or Uber/Lift to Mayflower from IAD because the metro did not reach IAD. It was not worth it to to me to use Amtrack and transfer to metro over price of Uber. Now with a metro stop at IAD that I believe just opened up late in 2022 I will use metro to Mayflower.

Have never done it, but you could ride Amtrack to Union Station, then transfer over to the metro to get to Mayflower. That way, you are not walking to Mayflower from Union Station, which I agree is pretty far walk with luggage.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I didn't think it was worthwhile to open a new thread for the following question: Has anyone ever exchanged a MVC week for a cruise? I have a Gold week reserved at NCV (no points, just a deeded week and not interested in converting to points) and have heard that it is possible to exchange for a cruise through II. Has anyone ever done this? Where does the inventory of cruise weeks come from that I might be able to exchange into? AFAIK, people don't own cruise weeks as they do MVC weeks.

Thanks!
A new thread would have been better. You have to be gold or platinum in II. You can price it out even if you are not they will just add the fee to upgrade to gold when you get to the point of confirming. So go through the steps to see if it is worth it. Most say it is not worth it. Expect a studio to be worth $300-$500 and a 1BR $400-600 and a 2BR $500-1000. There is a $200 cruise exchange fee sot that knocks down the value. So around $100-800 toward the cost of a cruise if you use an undeposited unit that is 90 days or more from check in. The value of the exchange can't be used to cover port fees. So you would need to pick a cruise that realistically would be more than $1200 or so for 2. First step is pick a cruise, to get the best idea price it out with II's regular cruise tab. Go through the whole process of picking a cabin to get an idea of the price. Then do it again for the exact same cabin class using the cruise exchange. You aren't depositing or confirming anything until you get to the payment screen so don't worry that you are accidently going to deposit when you are just pricing things out.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Thanks for the detailed response, @tschwa2 ! Yes, I probably should have started a new thread.

If I understand correctly, my Gold week at NCV would be worth approximately $1,000 or less towards a cruise exchange? Since my annual fees and property tax runs approximately $1,700 - $1,800, as you suggested it may not be worth it. Plus there would be the Gold II membership fee and the $200 cruise exchange fee.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the detailed response, @tschwa2 ! Yes, I probably should have started a new thread.

If I understand correctly, my Gold week at NCV would be worth approximately $1,000 or less towards a cruise exchange? Since my annual fees and property tax runs approximately $1,700 - $1,800, as you suggested it may not be worth it. Plus there would be the Gold II membership fee and the $200 cruise exchange fee.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, My guess it that they would value your week at $1000 or less. They might go up to $1200 but I think that is going to be the top. It almost always is going to be more beneficial to rent out your unit yourself and put the proceeds to whatever cruise you want, and that would be the case as long as you could rent your week for at least $1200.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the silver line now open from IAD to Union Station? Then get off at union and take the red line (IIRC) to the Mayflower stop that is on the same block? No need to walk far from IAD and Union Station. It was not easy to get from IAD to Union Station before the addition of the Metro stop at IAD.

Full disclosure, I have always rented vehicle or Uber/Lift to Mayflower from IAD because the metro did not reach IAD. It was not worth it to to me to use Amtrack and transfer to metro over price of Uber. Now with a metro stop at IAD that I believe just opened up late in 2022 I will use metro to Mayflower.

Have never done it, but you could ride Amtrack to Union Station, then transfer over to the metro to get to Mayflower. That way, you are not walking to Mayflower from Union Station, which I agree is pretty far walk with luggage.

Nope. The silver line takes the same route as the orange line at East Falls Church station and then with the blue line at Rosslyn. So you would need to go from Dulles to Metro Center and then switch trains to the red line and then back to the Mayflower at Farragut North. Or you could get off at Farragut West and walk a few blocks to the Mayflower. Union Station is only serviced by the Red Line so there is no connection to Dulles directly.