• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone flown Southwest to Hawaii yet?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just to vent a pet peave! We always fly SW and purchase 2 early bird. There always seems to be One of two individuals who purchase one and get on early and SAVE a seat of two for thier party. Had never impacted our seating preference but still irks me.

Wait until you want an Exit Row seat and the one person that got on early is saving it for others. Acceptable behavior according to SW.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wait until you want an Exit Row seat and the one person that got on early is saving it for others. Acceptable behavior according to SW.
Personally I haven't seen that happen. We always head for the exit row seats (and we both pay for Early Bird). I haven't noticed anyone who has also grabbed an exit row seat and then saved others. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying I haven't seen it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Exit row seats should be occupied by people who listen to the flight attendant. Some are just rude and don't listen to directions. I don't want to count on someone who doesn't care to listen to the duties that seat requires in an emergency.

Of course, I am sitting next to a firefighter of 40 years who thinks quickly and will absolutely make sure we all get off of the plane, whomever is with us or near us, if we were even to live through such a crisis requiring his quick-thinking skill set.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Flying experience, I could write a book. But below is an email I sent my brother. They now have comfort class which is the same cheap seats with 5” of more leg room. If you don’t buy that, most of the airlines are the same.
————

My last flight home from LA to Honolulu was excellent. The seat was wider and had more leg room. It also had more cushion to the seat and I never got tired of sitting down. On most flights, my butt hurts so bad and my legs ache because I can’t move them and it is a pain to fly these days. About half way across the Pacific I realized that I was in an older airplane and that they don’t build them that way any longer. There was also and article in the news yesterday how all the airlines are taking the seats out of 777s and putting in smaller seats that are lighter and putting them close together with less leg room so that they can sell more seats on the same plane.

It is just amazing that for the last 10 years I have been saying that flight was painful and I don’t like flying as much as I used too. I thought that I was just getting older. But the problem is the plane seats are just getting cheaper and smaller. What a bummer and there is not much anyone can do but pay more to fly first class.

The real kicker was that I told one of the flight attendants that was the best plane I had been on in a long time and every time I fly, I plan to jump on Delta’s 777. Her response was that the plane was on the way to Australia to have all the seats removed so that they could install smaller seats and more seats. Sometimes, you just can’t win. But at least I now know the pain wasn’t from getting older, it was from cheaper, smaller seats with no leg room.

Tom

Sent from my iPad

While we do use Southwest to fly around on the Continental United States, our flights to Hawaii are all on Hawaiian Airlines. The Direct Flight from JFK to Honolulu is great. The difference between Regular Coach and First Class is so great that we always fly Coach, however, the upgrade to Extra Comfort Seats is a reasonable increase. If you get the Hilton Honors Aspire Credit Card $250 credit toward extras on flights. The credit just about pays for the extra comfort seat upgrade cost one way for two people.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I just happened by this thread - we will be taking SW from Oakland to Kona this summer. I'll try and return here and post about that experience....

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just happened by this thread - we will be taking SW from Oakland to Kona this summer. I'll try and return here and post about that experience....
You won't find it much different than any SW flight. Take a sandwich. It's 5 hours on pretzels.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You won't find it much different than any SW flight. Take a sandwich. It's 5 hours on pretzels.
That is pretty much what I told my dd. I said it's like any other SW flight, just over water, and longer. We always bring our own food on flights to Hawaii no matter who we're flying. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My review of the inaugural SW flight to Maui is in post 7.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We fly SJC to OGG a couple times every year. We looked into Southwest when they first came online but did not find anything that compared to Alaska Companion Fare. I also find there is a little more legroom on Alaska to Hawaii, but interestingly, it is not the case with Alaska to JFK, felt very cramped on that flight.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Just booked a flight for older dd from San Jose to Maui in March. I know there has been a lot of discussion on SW to Hawaii, but has anyone flown SW to Hawaii yet? If so, how was the experience? Are they offering any extras, like meals for sale, or is it just their basic snacks?

I haven't flown SW to Hawaii but we flew from the Island of Hawaii to Honolulu in December on SW. We can't fly from NY to Hawaii on SW that is the reason we love Hawaiian Airlines for the flight to Hawaii. WE would need to change planes at least 2 times and stay overnight to fly SW to Hawaii. Hopefully SW will start to fly to and from Las Vegas in the future which would be helpful for us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I haven't flown SW to Hawaii but we flew from the Island of Hawaii to Honolulu in December on SW. We can't fly from NY to Hawaii on SW that is the reason we love Hawaiian Airlines for the flight to Hawaii. WE would need to change planes at least 2 times and stay overnight to fly SW to Hawaii. Hopefully SW will start to fly to and from Las Vegas in the future which would be helpful for us.
We fly from Albuquerque to the Bay Area and spend two nights there (both ways) and then take a flight from Oakland or San Francisco to Hawaii. I don't think I'd want to make the flight from New York without at least one overnight stop.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully SW will start to fly to and from Las Vegas in the future which would be helpful for us.
Perhaps when the 737Max aircraft come back online, but the current 737-800ERs just don't have the range.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
This is interesting - I just noticed the cost of an upcoming SW reservation made in points had dropped. About to see how Southwest handles this. Will they refund points?

What was a 68K point reservation is now out there for 48K..

Edit: I am now chatting with Southwest. If you haven't tried the chat, it is nice and I seem to get through faster on it than when calling.

Outcome: easy-peasy. About 20K in points being credited back to my SW FF account.

Keeping checking those fares!

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This is interesting - I just noticed the cost of an upcoming SW reservation made in points had dropped. About to see how Southwest handles this. Will they refund points?

What was a 68K point reservation is now out there for 48K..

Edit: I am now chatting with Southwest. If you haven't tried the chat, it is nice and I seem to get through faster on it than when calling.
Yes, they will refund the points. You don't need to talk to any one to do it. Just on into your reservation and click "Change". Select the flights you want to change. You will be shown the available flights. Select your flight (the same one you had before) and your points will be refunded to you. Easy peasy.