• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone done the Island Dream Snorkel Sail in Honolulu?/merged

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawrence Welk Resort, San Diego, CA
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II , Palm Desert, CA
Has anyone done the Makani snorkel sail trip on Tuesday mornings in Honolulu. It looks like a nice trip at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the feedback,

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
also try looking it up at tripadvisor.com - make sure you have exact spelling.

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone done the Island Dream Snorkel Sail in Honolulu?

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has gone on the Island Dream Catamaran snorkel trip. We are thinking about doing either this one or the Makani catamaran. I also found the Outrigger catamaran as a third option. Any feedback would be appreciated, we will be at the Ko'Olina Marriott in january and want to take the kids on a snorkel/sail trip one day.

Thanks,

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Oahu is not known for great snorkeling, but the boat trips are fun anyway. I'd go for the cheapest one that leaves from near the resort.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been out on the Kai Oli Oli at KoOlina a # of times and the snorkeling was great because they feed the fish before you get in the water plus you'll usually get to swim with the dolphins. For cheaper snorkeling take your car about a mile up the coast from KoOlina to Electric Beach (direcgtly across from the HECO power plant) you can snorkel from shore to where the tour boats swim with the dolphins.
http://oceanjoycruises.com/about/default.asp

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the snorkeling was great because they feed the fish before you get in the water plus you'll usually get to swim with the dolphins. [/url]

However, both activities are considered harmful to the environment and it's clearly not legal to get out of a boat and try to interact with dolphins....

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been out on the Kai Oli Oli at KoOlina a # of times and the snorkeling was great because they feed the fish before you get in the water plus you'll usually get to swim with the dolphins. For cheaper snorkeling take your car about a mile up the coast from KoOlina to Electric Beach (direcgtly across from the HECO power plant) you can snorkel from shore to where the tour boats swim with the dolphins.
http://oceanjoycruises.com/about/default.asp

What time is the feeding time? The water wasn't that clear the last time I went at KoOlina. I didn't see too many people snorkeling there.
As sor Electric Beach, the person who lives on the parking lot/big truck told me it's not good idea to park and swim in the ocean. I didn't see anyone on the parking lot or at the shore but I did see a tour boat on the ocean. From this on to the north, it seemed very scary and I didn't feel like going far from my rental car thinking someone might break in. Someone told me to unlock my car before walking on the beach since someone will break your window if you don't.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
When in KoOlina my usual morning walk is up the RR tracks to Electric Beach. It's a great spot to watch the whales and the dolphins. Since the city has cleaned up the beaches and closed them at night they are much safer. I agree if you go by car don't leave any valuables in the car. BTW KoOlina security closes and opens the chain to elec. beach plus they also patrol it at night. Usually, there a # of dive vans in the parking lot plus as I said it's a very popular snorkel spot on Oahu. So far as near as I know no one has yet to be arrested for swiming with the dolphins.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, both activities are considered harmful to the environment and it's clearly not legal to get out of a boat and try to interact with dolphins....

When KoOlina was considering building an aquarium they hired a husband/wife team as consultants on the project. Both have extensive background in the building and operations of aquariums plus the wife was a world recognized dolphin trainer. We got to them both of them quite well and in her opinion there was nothing harmful with the dolphins in the wild when the snorkelers and dive boat operators interacted with them.

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score

When KoOlina was considering building an aquarium they hired a husband/wife team as consultants on the project. Both have extensive background in the building and operations of aquariums plus the wife was a world recognized dolphin trainer. We got to tknow both of them quite well and in her opinion there was nothing harmful with the dolphins in the wild when the snorkelers and dive boat operators interacted with them.

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone done the Island Dream Snorkel Sail in Honolulu?

I am restarting this thread as my last one with this question has been co-opted by others discussing the snorkeling at electric beach and dophin swims in that area. My initial question about Island Dream was never answered so I am hoping this title may get me an opinion or two. Please don't close or merge this thread this time. Thanks, Mike

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has gone on the Island Dream Catamaran snorkel trip. We are thinking about doing either this one or the Makani catamaran. I also found the Outrigger catamaran as a third option. Any feedback would be appreciated, we will be at the Ko'Olina Marriott in january and want to take the kids on a snorkel/sail trip one day. I have already looked at the trips from the Ko'Olina area, but they are more than twice as expensive and that is quite a bit for the 4 of us.

Thanks,

Mike

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago I did this snorkel trip and it was well worthwhile. I think the big difference between Ko'Olina and where this one departs is that you have to drive down the highway about four miles to catch the boat and it is at a public pier. It is not an area that I would go to at night, but you should be ok during the day. Just don't leave anything, and I mean anything in your rental car. Also, the boat at Ko'Olina might be newer and nicer. The higher cost covers the extra cruise time to the Makaha area, or northwest part of the island, it covers departing from a nicer area and maybe a nicer boat. In fact, check to see if the same boat pulls into the public pier down by Makaha. You might be paying the extra money just to depart from a nicer area.

We did see Dolphins and the trip was fun. I would recommend it. But, which boat depends on what you are looking for.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not buy tickets in advance. Wait until you get to Hawaii and ask more questions, and take a look at the boats. These trips hardly ever fill up. You might find some discounts at the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please don't close or merge this thread this time. Thanks, Mike

Duplicate threads are not allowed on TUG - even if you are unhappy with the responses you have received. This is the 3rd thread you have started on the same topic.

Oahu is not known for snorkeling and that's why you aren't receiving the responses you want - have you checked out the reviews for these trips at www.tripadvisors.com?

Last edited:

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Duplicate threads are not allowed on TUG - even if you are unhappy with the responses you have received. This is the 3rd thread you have started on the same topic.

Oahu is not known for snorkeling and that's why you aren't receiving the responses you want - have you checked out the reviews for these trips at www.tripadvisors.com?

I understand that duplicate threads are not allowed, however my original threads were not duplicates. One was asking about the Makani Sail excursion, the other was about Island Dream. When the Island dream thread was merged with the original, the Heading regarding Island Dream was lost.

My question was not a general question about snorkeling on Oahu, but specific questions about those 2 sevices only. I restarted the Island Dream thread so that other members that read the headings would see that specific topic.

I apologize if it seems I was being duplicative, but I was just trying to get feedback on those specific services, when you merged them it became a general Oahu snorkel discussion, rather than addressing my question.

Sorry to have been a problem. Thanks for leaving the Island Dream title in this thread now.

Mike

Last edited: