• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside resale purchase question for Phase I owners

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
Purchased a 2br L/O in Phase I, week 23 (that also floats) for $9 off ebay, and seller pays all closing costs. I can still cancel it if I have to, but seemed like a good deal for most years (despite the high MF's). Kids are not out of school for that week in '16, but will be for '17 & '18. Unfortunately, he did not already book for 2016 and I am seeing nothing available for July-Aug 14.

1) Is it possible some of the units are not showing as they are still being held back for owners?

2) My understanding is the unit can be booked at 12 months, but available to float and book in same season at 8-10 months, so in my case, could I have week 23 booked and then cancel/book a week for later in the summer (if there is ever one available) in that 8-10 month window?

3) If I really want mid summer availability, am I better off buying a fixed week Phase I summer unit or a float phase II summer unit?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Purchased a 2br L/O in Phase I, week 23 (that also floats) for $9 off ebay, and seller pays all closing costs. I can still cancel it if I have to, but seemed like a good deal for most years (despite the high MF's). Kids are not out of school for that week in '16, but will be for '17 & '18. Unfortunately, he did not already book for 2016 and I am seeing nothing available for July-Aug 14.

1) Is it possible some of the units are not showing as they are still being held back for owners?

No - they don't hold back. For owners, it's first come - first serve, from 12-8 mos. They have been reserved.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Call and have them search for you. I told them that I saw nothing on line and they told me they would have the same availability that I saw and then they came up with 4 different check ins available that did not show online.

That being said trying to float phase 1 can be difficult. The only phase 1 units that are available during the float time are those that the owner did not confirm. Most summer owners bought to use not to exchange elsewhere as you don't get enough SO's to make it worth it and it rents better than what you can get for 95,000 SO's with Starwood. At 8 months, you might as well own Mandatory Orlando because you have the same chance at the left over phase 2 as all other SVN members.

If you really want mid summer you should probably let this one go and purchase either a deeded mid summer phase 1 or a phase 2 summer and book at exactly 12 months.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1)So if I own in Phase I, can I only book float at 10 months out, where if I own in Phase II float I can book at 12 months out?

2) If I see inventory for a 2br L/O available online at 10 months, does that mean it would be available for Phase I, or maybe only for Phase II, or it doesn't matter at that point?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
1) As a phase 1 owner you can only book phase 1 inventory at 8-10 months in advance. And remember most of those other phase 1 mid summer owners may reserve and hold onto their guaranteed week longer that 10 months if they aren't sure what they are going to do. A phase 2 owner can see/book all of the phase 2 inventory in their season at 12 months out.

2)
As a non owner of Harborside, you can never distinguish if you are looking at phase 1 or phase 2 online. As a phase 1 owner, you would only be able to book phase 1, 8-10 months in advance and undistinguished (phase 1 and phase 2) at 8 months out. As a phase 2 owner you can see phase 2 only inventory 12-8 months in advance. At 8 months you have the same access to undistinguished (phase 1 and phase 2) as everyone else in SVN.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chances of floating a Phase I reservation in the summer are slim. That's why it's been given away. It would be hard to find a similar deal for a Phase II unit which would be worth something.

The posts above explained the differences between Phases very well.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Here is my advice FWIW:

If you have older kids who will be in college soon, then you'll soon be able to travel in May because most colleges get out in early May. No need to own at HRA if you can travel in May. Buy a less expensive mandatory platinum resale in order to get enough SOs to exchange in. You shouldn't have much trouble getting in during May if you book at 8 months out. (There is availability right now for mid-May.)

If your kids are young, and traveling in off season is years away, then buy a fixed resale at HRA in the summertime. Rental prices in the summer are sky high and resale prices are pretty low thanks to the high MFs. But it would still be cheaper to pay those high MFs than the high rental rates.

I would normally advise a SVV 2 bdrm L/O since HRA in the summer is low season and all you'll need is 95,700 SOs to get a 2 bdrm. However, I suspect that WSJ - CV is the new model for SO allotment, and I think that eventually HRA might be revamped to better align with that model. So I'd probably target WKV or something worth at least 148,100 SOs.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the help! I've got plenty of SO's to exchange in so that's not the issue, it's just trying to get in during summer (this is the first summer where I've seen nothing available between mid-June to mid-August). Looks like I'll pass on the week 23 unit and look for a different unit closer to mid summer