• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside layoffs

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Someone on TA just posted 100 Harborside employees were laid off today--this is in addition to the 800+ at Atlantis. I guess I find that strange as occupancy at Harborside is usually higher than the hotel. Hopefully it won't affect service too much but I guess with the layoffs all owners and guests there will have to be a little more patient.
Does anyone know whether these employees are paid out of our maintenance fees? I guess I could look back at the assessment summary to see if they are included in the figures somewhere. If so it would seem that as long as fees are paid and mostly up to date that there wouldn't really be a reason to have layoffs there??

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Apparently the layoffs were in sales/marketing which I guess makes sense as it seems to me that I heard units were only available in a few seasons and I am guessing with the economy doing poorly they have put newer timeshare build outs on hold.
Here is the link from the local paper:
http://www.jonesbahamas.com/news/45/ARTICLE/18681/2008-11-18.html

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a shame. But I do recall that in July the supply of untis for sale were getting low. Three bedrooms were the most depleted, sold out in platinum and almost in gold season. It doesn't make sense to keep a big staff if there isn't a lot of "good" inventory left to sell.

Since phase 3 hasn't started, it makes sense to slow down sales of what they have until phase 3 gets back on track again.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
One of the people being interviewed was a hostess. That doesn't sound like a sales job to me...

I feel badly for them. I also feel badly for the thousands of people let go from their jobs this week in the U.S. And more will come after Christmas.

Bummer. I hope things turn around soon.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
sometimes when you come into sales - there are 'hostess' to help you and get your information.

a way to get more names from you.