• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside Building 7 renovations

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
A review recently posted on Trip Advisor is from a guest who says they were told that building 7 was due to be gutted/renovated in September of this year.
The poster was upset as their unit used for the explorer package was in bad shape.
Wonder if anyone else has heard this?? Any Tuggers out there going in the next few weeks maybe you can check on this?? We own 4th floor building 7 and are going in January so would love to know if this is true and how long the renovations would take??
It makes sense they would do them now as it is coming to a slower time and I would hope they would want everything done by the holidays.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I'm thinking that if in fact this was true, owners would have been notified of the upcoming assessment. :confused:

AJONLINE

Reaction score
We just returned from Harborside on the 16th and there was no evidence of renovation and I don't recall seeing any notices or hearing anything from the guests or staff about it.

AJ

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was there in June and did the owners update, I was told that in September they were going to start renovations in phase 1.

I think most of the renovations are going to be cosmetic - paint, carpet, curtains, linens, etc. I don't think the kitchens are being replaced and bathrooms.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
i was told that phase 1 is having a facelift but will have granite counter tops put in the kitchen and the rest just cosmetic, and frunishings.

phase 2 is newer and probably not ready for any refurbshiments.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Granite counter tops/cosmetic/furnishings--sounds like renovations to me--where did you hear this from--I was only talking phase 1 as that is what this one poster there was told--would make sense as the reception building was the first one built and therefore would be first to be redone--I am hoping for a DVD player instead of VHS also:)

Stingrae

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at Harborside in mid July I asked at the owners meeting about the phase I renovations, and was told that they plan to start in January 2009. They told me that they will be getting new paint, carpet, granite counter tops, DVD players, and other furnishings. He was not sure if the phase I color would be like the tropical colors that they have now, but said that he hoped they would. Also here is another bit of information.

ATLANTIS: BEACH TOWER TO CLOSE
Kerzner will move to close its 423-room Beach Tower hotel for September through to the end of October, sparking work schedules cuts for employees and suggesting the destination's titan is no more immune to economic slowdown than those lower on the totem pole.
"Traditionally September and October are months when we experience low occupancies," Atlantis Senior VP of Public Affairs Ed Fields told Guardian Business, "As we have done in the past, the Beach Tower will be closed from September 1, to October 31, 2008.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Well I guess since we have reservations for January I am not really happy as this will likely mean I won't get my marina view but who knows maybe the other poster is correct and it is starting earlier.
Anyone planning on going in the next month or so it would be interesting to know whether you see anything going on.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Cool--if things are going on in September they should see it!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
As to the poster who said there would have been an assessment--since the yearly fees include a portion for future improvements is there always an assessment?--it would seem to me if the calculations are correct the money for future renovations would be accounted for in the reserve. I know, for example, in the homeowners association we live in here in the states that we have never had an assessment for improvements.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I check in on the 29th but don't know if I'll access to a computer until I'm back on Sept. 6th. I will let tuggers know what I see is going on at that time.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Great--any info would be great--particularly if they are going to do it in January and if so what they plan to do with those that have reservations--like me!
I am hoping they are doing it in September which makes more sense to me as that way they have a longer slow period to do it.

beachdiva

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told when I was there earlier this month there wasn't going to be a special assessment for Ph 1 owners since the reserve in the annual HOA dues should cover the renovations.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We just got back (more info separately). At our owner's update we were told phase 1 renovations (buildings 1, 2, and 7) start in early September. They were starting on the HVAC/electrical this week. Granite counters, flat screens, etc., to make it look more like phase 2. And since we talked pricing (more on that later too!), we were told the MFs included a percentage for upgrades so no assessments would be needed.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Great news!! This means when we go in January this should all be done!!!!!!!!!
And that also means a fairly well run association with no assessments needed!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
One poster mentioned doing all phase 1 buildings which seems hard to believe relative to reservations in place so whoever is there could you try to confirm that building 7 (reservation building) is first in line--would make sense as I am guessing it was the first building done.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
It has been confirmed by a current visitor at Harborside that renovations have begun in building 7--reception building--once they are done there they will begin on two other buildings in phase 1==yeah now I can bring some dvd's for the grandkids!

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Any updates on this from recent visitors??

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been confirmed by a current visitor at Harborside that renovations have begun in building 7--reception building--once they are done there they will begin on two other buildings in phase 1==yeah now I can bring some dvd's for the grandkids!

The only renovations that were occurring at the reception building during that timeframe was a repair to the landscaping and weeping tile. All but one tree was removed and they were improving the weeping tile system. I would hardly call that renovations.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
That is very interesting as other posters have said that the reception was undergoing complete interior renovations in late August!

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting as other posters have said that the reception was undergoing complete interior renovations in late August!
I was there Aug. 29th thru Sept. 5th and no such renos. were occurring at that time.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I guess we would need to hear from someone there later than you--according to one poster in this thread they were told renovations were to start early September so just like everything else they are on "island time". I know I have seen elsewhere--maybe Trip Advisor--that folks have seen the building closed and worked on--that is--the reception building.