• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside 2016 Maintenance Schedule

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Received the following email this evening

Your relaxing stay at Harborside Resort at Atlantis is coming up and we’re looking forward to welcoming you to our island paradise. Before you arrive, we want to make sure you’re aware of some of the exciting happenings that may be taking place during your stay.

Our homeowners associations have various villa interior projects occurring in both phases at differing schedules. To view the full schedule of renovation and maintenance enhancements, please review the Special Conditions.

Rest assured, if your reservation coincides with your villa’s renovation schedule, you will be placed in the Villa type reserved, which may be in either phase. All resort amenities will remain open for your enjoyment.

We will do everything we can to ensure a relaxing vacation experience for you. Should you have any questions about your reservation, please contact Owner Services at xxx or direct at xxx.

Sincerely,

Judith Thompson, General Manager
Harborside Resort at Atlantis

The Special Conditions link stated the following:

SPECIAL CONDITIONS

Harborside Resort at Atlantis has various projects planned throughout 2016, including some villa maintenance updates in each phase.
Phase II, Building 6 will be closed June 3 - August 20
Phase I, Building 1 will be closed for renovation August 21 - October 30.

We do not anticipate that any of the planned projects will affect the resort’s amenities or impact the vacation experience of our Guests.

The food and beverage outlets at Atlantis, Paradise Island operate cashless. The resort will authorize an initial credit card deposit equal to $100 per day at check-in. Additional authorizations will be obtained as required throughout the stay.

Beginning in 2015, the Bahamian government has implemented the VAT, a new type of consumption tax charged at 7.5% on most goods and services that businesses provide in the Bahamas, including, but not limited to credit card deposit, housekeeping services and Internet charges. VAT is also charged on goods and certain services imported from outside the Bahamas.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received the following email this evening

The Special Conditions link stated the following:

I got the same info today. That could be, at least a partial reason, the explanation of the villa availability craziness.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I got the same info today. That could be, at least a partial reason, the explanation of the villa availability craziness.

Perhaps the original plan was to have both buildings out at the same time then later they decided to complete them one at a time (sequentially instead of concurrently) freeing up a bulk of rooms in Phase I, Building 1 :shrug:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the original plan was to have both buildings out at the same time then later they decided to complete them one at a time (sequentially instead of concurrently) freeing up a bulk of rooms in Phase I, Building 1 :shrug:

Or perhaps they simply completed the work ahead of schedule...:hysterical:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I got the same email, but since I booked with StarOptions, I have no idea what phase I am booked in ...... or do I?

The other thing I found interesting was the $100 charge per day on the credit card on file. That doesn't bother me as much as the VAT disclosure on the bottom. It says that the VAT is charged on the credit card deposits? Seriously? Am I reading this right?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I got the same email, but since I booked with StarOptions, I have no idea what phase I am booked in ...... or do I?

The other thing I found interesting was the $100 charge per day on the credit card on file. That doesn't bother me as much as the VAT disclosure on the bottom. It says that the VAT is charged on the credit card deposits? Seriously? Am I reading this right?

That's horrible!! Charging a deposit based on what? Then charging tax on the deposit!!! Ridiculous. Maybe we are way too frugal, but I have never spent $700 at Harborside/Atlantis and I have been there 4 times for a week or more. Highway robbery to charge a fee to hold my money that I am not going to spend.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

No. You are not reading this right.

The $100 hold is now effectively a $107.50 hold with a 7.5% vat rate. So the one week $700 hold is now $752.50.

If you don't spend 700 plus vat then the hold is released.

They don't want you spending 700 on food and drink and then having the card decline over the vat addition.

Last edited:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
No. You are not reading this right.

The $100 hold is now effectively a $107.50 hold with a 7.5% vat rate. So the one week $700 hold is now $752.50.

If you don't spend 700 plus vat then the hold is released.

They don't want you spending 700 on food and drink and then having the card decline over the vat addition.

Well, since we don't plan on spending anything at the resort, can we refuse this charge? If they force us into this hold situation, then do we get the VAT tax back if we don't spend any or all of the deposit? Do they again add this VAT to the 15% charge on any food or drink.

With all of these hidden charges, going back to Lagunamar instead is looking pretty enticing.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's horrible!! Charging a deposit based on what? Then charging tax on the deposit!!! Ridiculous. Maybe we are way too frugal, but I have never spent $700 at Harborside/Atlantis and I have been there 4 times for a week or more. Highway robbery to charge a fee to hold my money that I am not going to spend.

I agree 100%. We are frugal too and don'[t plan on buying any food at the restaurants or drinks at the pool.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, since we don't plan on spending anything at the resort, can we refuse this charge? If they force us into this hold situation, then do we get the VAT tax back if we don't spend any or all of the deposit? Do they again add this VAT to the 15% charge on any food or drink.

With all of these hidden charges, going back to Lagunamar instead is looking pretty enticing.
Unless you are in danger of exceeding your spending limit on your credit card, this shouldn't impact you if you don't plan to incur any additional spend.

If you don't spend anything, the hold will be released within a few days after your stay. A hold is a hold -- it counts against your spending limit on your card while it is imposed, but it will be 100% released if you incur no charges during your stay. I doubt you can refuse the hold even if you claim you will spend nothing on the trip.

My understanding is that the VAT is imposed on any goods or services rendered. There are likely a few exceptions, but I doubt food or drink at restaurants is one of them.

-ryan

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's not a charge. It's a pre auth. A hold.
Say your card has 0 balance and 10000 credit limit.

They make this pre auth. Your card issuer approves it and now your available credit limit is reduced to 9200.

A week later when no auth transaction is presented against the pre auth the pre auth expires and your available credit limit goes up to 10000 again.

Lagunamar does the same at check in for room charges at the pool / store / restaurant etc. So does a car rental company etc.

Vat is a form of sales tax. Less hidden though.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Deposit and VAT are not new

Sorry, if I caused any confusion by quoting the entire "Special Conditions" section.

The credit card deposit of $100 per day at check-in has been in place for a number of years (at least as far back as 2011) since food and beverage outlets at Atlantis operate a cashless system.

Bahamas VAT of 7.5% on goods and services started last year - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221533

So as stated above, the tax is just being held for potential use of goods and services during your stay.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Do they again add this VAT to the 15% charge on any food or drink.

Here's an example of the 7.5% Tax and the 15% Automatic Gratuity

This is a copy of two separate bills from Johnny Rockets during our stay last year.

24998575735_57e12db4b2_c.jpg

Last edited: