• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Happy update] DH's boss just canceled our vacation - Hawaii on Dec. 24th!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
STEAM is coming out of my ears!

My DH's boss just canceled DH's vacation (officially approved a year ago.)

They are "too busy" for him to go... but not too busy for his boss to take off that week.

We were leaving for Hawaii on the 24th.

No offer to reimburse us....

We have timeshare travel insurance - but it doesn't cover having a jerk for a boss....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

northwoodsgal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's really gutsy of his boss to pull that. I would be very upset.

I once worked for inept supervisors. My kids were still in elementary school and I asked for ONE day off during the summer so we could do something fun without the weekend crowds. Boss 1 questioned why I couldn't just do a waterpark on the weekend. Boss 2 said he had a project and needed me in the office that day. As a good employee, I went to work that Monday but mad that I was being forced to. I sat at my desk all day with nothing to do - never was given an assignment. Let's hope that if your husband has to stay behind, that there's at least work to be done!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If said boss is not planing on reimbursing me for a vacation that was approved and paid for, then I think I would have to have a conversation with that boss and then the boss's boss.

I had a project once that said NO way, even though I planned it, paid for it all, and had it approved by my boss nearly 6 months earlier. My boss said just go, a weeks vacation will not kill any project.

I think a discussion with said boss is in order.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to go on that vacation. There are personnel policies in place, and an approved vacation must be honored.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeez, Denise, that sux! Try to appeal. Tell el jefe that you have made big, expensive plans based on pre-approved time off and that it places uncompensated hardship on the rest of the family. Don't mention any insurance. Do mention that 120 days ago you could have cancelled with little or no penalty but NOW you are on the hook. If his project is THAT important, the company owes it to DH to compensate him for the family's financial loss and reschedule compensatory time later in year.

That's B.S!

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My DH's Boss's, Boss, approved canceling his vacation (in fact, I think it was his idea) so basically we are just out of luck....

DH already had it out with him and was told his job was on the line.

It is going to cost us $400 to cancel our award seats and get our miles back.

Of course we will lose our exchange fees, and get replacement weeks for our deposits.... Sigh....
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would give the boss the receipts for the monies you will have to pay out for the lost vacation. If DH is valuable enough to make him cancel his vacation over Christmas, then he is valuable enough to be recompensed for his financial losses. None of that eliminates the "suck" factor. I am very sorry for you all.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, I'm so sorry to hear that DH's boss is being so unreasonable. He deserves a huge lump of coal in his stocking this year!

Dori

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had paid in full to go on a cruise and my employer cancelled the trip. They paid me in full for the total cruise and airfare. Then I said I would reschedule at a time agreeable to them. They identified that timeframe and I booked the alternate cruise (basically at no cost to me). Then when that time came, they cancelled it again. Of course they paid me in full for the advertised price. Made nice money on their foolishness, but I no longer can speak. My wife glued my lips together with super glue! :eek:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That sucks. I feel so bad for you. I would be devastated!

If it's any small consolation I just called and cancelled our San Francisco trip this morning. We were going to be there this afternoon through Saturday. His approved vacation was cancelled last night. :bawl: In my husbands case he really does need to be there - he's working on a very specific thing that can't be passed along to someone else. I thought this may happen - I just wish that it had been cancelled sooner so that I could have mitigated the financial loss.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this company large enough to have personnel and/or employee relations departments? They might be of help, IF your husband is willing to risk the ill will in his department from going there.

It is a very large company, but since a VP made the decision, there is no sense pursuing it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It is a very large company, but since a VP made the decision, there is no sense pursuing it.

I hope he hasn't given these ----heads any Christmas gifts yet.
DW and I just passed out ours to our colleagues today.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had to chuckle (ruefully) when I canceled my II exchange - the Rep. vigorously encouraged me to try to rent out my exchange, rather than take a replacement week... :rolleyes:

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hope that your husband is looking for a new job and at the same time consult a labor relations lawyer. No job is worth that no matter how good the pay and benefits. This is nothing more than a power trip for the boss's boss and the boss also has no spine as he should have stood up for your husband. Don't take this lying down as this only encourages this type of behavior.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might consider writing a straightforward letter (no anger or emotion), saying that these are the costs that need to be reimbursed due to the last minute cancellation of your approved vacation. Given the assumption that the company would stand to lose a lot more if you did go (award fee, perhaps new contract?), those relatively minor expenses shouldn't be too bad.

While I'd be as actual as possible on costs, I'd try to creatively factor in lost costs. For example, yeah, you'll get back your week, and your exchange fee, but having just those two now won't necessarily get you Hawaii accomodations when you try to go back. Maybe you should price out the cost to rent, then subtract the refunded costs. That's what it will actually cost to get you back to Hawaii.

Unless one has a lot of job security, or is fed up with the job, probably not good to p_ss off the management too much.

Guess you better start setting up that Christmas tree in your family room!

Jeff

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
:bawl: OMG, my heart breaks for you! This is just so very, very wrong!

e.bram

Reaction score
In this economy you either a team player or you are out of a job.Strive to be a boss and you get to choose who goes when.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I had to chuckle (ruefully) when I canceled my II exchange - the Rep. vigorously encouraged me to try to rent out my exchange, rather than take a replacement week... :rolleyes:

That's just hilarious. :rofl:

Sorry for your change in plans, Denise. Where were you going, specifically?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
In this economy you either a team player or you are out of a job.strive to be a boss
What is your point? Maybe you should re-read and maybe edit the sentence a bit.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the situation exactly.

If I do understand, they your husband asked for leave and was granted leave

You paid for your vacation

Husband's boss said no vacation

You are out of pocket hundreds of dollars

If all of this is true then your husband should complain. At the least his company sucks. At the worst they are picking on him. Either way he should file a complaint. Why would anyone put up with this? I would have quit just in principle.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What if your husband was in a car accident Dec. 24 or got very ill? The company would go on. I don't buy the VP excuse that he has to be there. Who works Dec. 24 and 25 anyway?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would have quit just in principle.

Are you independently wealthy, or just fabulously well-to-do?
Some of us cannot take our livelihoods quite so cavalierly.