• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Handling a closing for Marriott Mountainside

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a Marriott Mountainside week from another TUG member, and would like some advice on closing.

The seller of the timeshare suggested we use First American Title, but First American Title charges a fee of $600 (plus Marriott's ROFR and transfer fees). I am more used to timeshare closings costing around $300. First American Title includes title insurance on all closings, which is probably the reason why they charge more. I can see why someone would want title insurance on a Platinum week, but the week I am buying is not Platinum and the purchase cost is low, so I don't know if title insurance really adds much.

I have done a number of timeshare closings in the past, but this one looks more complicated. I looked up the deed on the Summitt County website, and it seems that three deeds were initially issued: a Trust Deed, a Reconveyance, and a Special Warranty deed, all within a few days of each other. So, unless it turns out that only one deed is needed, I should probably use a closing company.

Do you think I need to use First American Title, or would another closing company work? Is there any advantage of title insurance on a low-cost week? (I assume if something was wrong with the title, I'd just get the purchase price back, which isn't much in this case.) Any suggestions for another closing company to use? Also, if I find another closing company and they want me to submit the paperwork myself to ROFR, what is the process for that?

Thanks in advance!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a Marriott Mountainside week from another TUG member, and would like some advice on closing.

The seller of the timeshare suggested we use First American Title, but First American Title charges a fee of $600 (plus Marriott's ROFR and transfer fees). I am more used to timeshare closings costing around $300. First American Title includes title insurance on all closings, which is probably the reason why they charge more. I can see why someone would want title insurance on a Platinum week, but the week I am buying is not Platinum and the purchase cost is low, so I don't know if title insurance really adds much.

I have done a number of timeshare closings in the past, but this one looks more complicated. I looked up the deed on the Summitt County website, and it seems that three deeds were initially issued: a Trust Deed, a Reconveyance, and a Special Warranty deed, all within a few days of each other. So, unless it turns out that only one deed is needed, I should probably use a closing company.

Do you think I need to use First American Title, or would another closing company work? Is there any advantage of title insurance on a low-cost week? (I assume if something was wrong with the title, I'd just get the purchase price back, which isn't much in this case.) Any suggestions for another closing company to use? Also, if I find another closing company and they want me to submit the paperwork myself to ROFR, what is the process for that?

Thanks in advance!

Try www.DuncanRealtyandEscrow.com

The owner of the company is Susan Duncan, and she specializes in timeshare title transfers.

She also deals electronically with Marriott for the ROFR process, so it is very quick in getting that aspect done.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried contacting Duncan Realty, but without any luck. I used their web contact form on Wednesday, 11/23, and got an error. So I called their phone number, but no one answered. (It was mid-afternoon, but maybe they left early for Thanksgiving.) I left a voice mail, but they haven't returned my call.

The seller of the Marriott week wants to move forward, so I'm going to use First American Title.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I'm surprised; they are usually very efficient and professional. You might try one more phone call and/or e-mail.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not JRA Services, Inc.?
I just bought another Marriott week and JRA Services (Janet) replied back to me within 12 hours.
They also knew what is "legally required" for certain state/county for deed recording and explained about it in an e-mail.
Recommend this company!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not JRA Services, Inc.?
I just bought another Marriott week and JRA Services (Janet) replied back to me within 12 hours.
They also knew what is "legally required" for certain state/county for deed recording and explained about it in an e-mail.
Recommend this company!
I didn't know JRA Services handles Marriotts -- some companies don't want to deal with ROFR.

The seller had wanted to use First American Title from the start, and I didn't feel I could keep him waiting any longer, so earlier today I agreed to use First American Title. I appreciate the suggestions, though. I'll keep them in mind if I have another Marriott transaction.