• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hanalei Bay Resort beach access question

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
This morning my exchange came through for a 2 bedroom unit at Hanalei Bay Resort in Kauai for Summer 2023. I am not familiar with Kauai or the Hanalei Bay Resort. In one of the TUG reviews I read someone mentioned the beach access might be limited in the future due to an adjoining resorts refurbishment. Does anyone have any further information or insight about the beach access for the Hanalei Bay Resort? I would love to send my sister and her family there, if they have access to a nice beach. Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
All beaches in Hawaii are public, so I don't believe they can block the beach access, but to be sure, I'd call the front desk.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All beaches in Hawaii are public, so I don't believe they can block the beach access, but to be sure, I'd call the front desk.

Thanks Denise!

Two more questions:

If you were a couple in your early 50’s and had two boys in their early 20’s, would you rather stay at the Hanalei Bay Resort or at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club?

Why?

Thanks again!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Marriott Waiohai is at Poipu beach which is probably the most popular beach on Kauai, with more things to do nearby. It's also warmer and dryer at Poipu due to it's southern location on the island. I think 20-somethings would like it better than Princeville which is more of an upscale golf enclave. That being said, I have stayed in Princeville, but I have not been to the Hanelei Bay resort, but it isn't right on the ocean.

Hanalei Bay Resort:

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.23.23 PM.png

Marriott's Waiohai - located at one end of Poipu Beach:

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.27.59 PM.png

YouTube Video: Poipu Beach:

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
This morning my exchange came through for a 2 bedroom unit at Hanalei Bay Resort in Kauai for Summer 2023. I am not familiar with Kauai or the Hanalei Bay Resort. In one of the TUG reviews I read someone mentioned the beach access might be limited in the future due to an adjoining resorts refurbishment. Does anyone have any further information or insight about the beach access for the Hanalei Bay Resort? I would love to send my sister and her family there, if they have access to a nice beach. Thanks.
The beach access "limit" isn't for the beach. As @DeniseM stated, all beaches are public. However, there's no access from HBR so you have to go through St Regis' property to get access to the beach itself. So depending on the refurbishment equipment, it could be that the path may be blocked. While I've driven to the entrance for HBR, I haven't stayed at HBR, but it is on my list for a future stay.
If you were a couple in your early 50’s and had two boys in their early 20’s, would you rather stay at the Hanalei Bay Resort or at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club?
Why?
We're in a similar situation except we have a son and daughter in their 20s. I don't know if you could go wrong with either, but I'd choose Waiohai. Hanalei Bay is a unique area, and the 2BR units there offer great views from what I read. We prefer Marriott so we've stayed at Waiohai. It's directly connected to Poipu Beach. Great beach and location. You're closer to Waimea Canyon and can easily get to Napali Coast through excursions that leave nearby. Weather is typically better near Poipu, especially during the winter. You have better access to the rest of the island. It's not central, but definitely more central compared to Princeville/Hanalei Bay. Then again, it's not a big island at all, but drives can get long during rush hour.

I see @DeniseM just posted as I was typing. You can see in the first picture the other property you need to go through to get the access I mentioned above.

Edited to identify St Regis as the property nearby.

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
HBR has a path/road to the beach that is shared with the old st Regis soon to become a new hotel “number one or something like that”. The staff will give you a ride in a golf cart if you prefer and there’s a phone at the bottom to call for a pickup. The beach is ok but we prefer to drive to tunnels.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After reading Wilma's description, I realised that I have been to the beach below Hanalei Bay resort, because the Westin Princeville used to shuttle their guests to it. Poipu beach is FAR superior.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
After reading Wilma's description, I realised that I have been to the beach below Hanalei Bay resort, because the Westin Princeville used to shuttle their guests to it. Poipu beach is FAR superior.
Have been to both beaches and agree with @DeniseM. Westin Princeville used to shuttle people to that beach (St. Regis... Ritz before that?) but that was long ago.

New version of that hotel is the very pricey Luxury Hotel in Kauai, Hawaii | 1 Hotel Hanalei Bay (1hotels.com). If I were guessing, it will not include bused-in guests from the nearby Marriott (Westin Princeville) resort. Although not Poipu beach quality it was still nice way to see Hanalei Bay.

Last edited:

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hanalei Bay Beach will be a lot less crowded than Poipu Beach

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone for your help.

I have ePlus for this Exchange, so I might try for the Waiohai. I think the boys would like Poipu better.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiohai - for sure - I've stayed at both t/share resorts in 2bedroom units and given a choice it would be the Waiohai hands down as it is so much nicer than Hanalei Bay, not to mention the surrounding area....and beach right there....and it is not that crowded.