• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gulf coast timeshare question

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hello,

I have the opportunity to obtain a week 24 Gulf Coast oceanfront timeshare. Would anyone be able to tell me when the children get out of school in the spring/summer in the gulf region or the lower central states? I‘d like to use the week for myself, but if I choose to rent it out one year I’d like the availability to be a popular week. This year the week is June 13-20, 2020.

Thank you for your help.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
June 13 is a little early. Here in DFW, that would be when summer break starts. We like week 20 because the weather is nice and there are no crowds.

The other factors are ... location, location and location ;)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Where is your timeshare?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Typically, in Alabama, schools get out at the last week of May or first week of June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chicago suburbs usually right after first full week of June snow days can delay this
Central Illinois about a week earlier

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That should be a popular week. Orange Beach has become VERY nice. Generally, schools in the south get out end of May (up North, it's closer to middle or end of Jun). Just do a search of whatever city you're interested in. For example, I searched for "Orange Beach, Alabama public school calendar" and this was one of the sites that appeared on the first page:

Schools are out May 21, 2020.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please note also that "schools letting out" might result in some additional demand, but not necessarily that much additional demand if weather may have become good weeks earlier. Couples, adult groups in general, bunches of nurses, post-spring-semester students, etc. may all be indifferent to "schools (i.e., K-12) letting out".

In the old days, yes, schools letting out meant an EXPLOSION in increased demand for good weather beach weeks. But nowadays, not nearly as much. And part of that is due to the fact that couples are choosing not to have any kids, or choosing to not even become married. That's reflected in the fact that, in more than half of U.S. states, there are more people dying than are being born (at least, that's true for white people). Think about that for a moment. The ones dying are 2 or 3 parenting generations ago. They may have themselves had four, five kids. There may be ten or so descendants that are of parenting age now. But those ten plus of the parenting generation nowadays are having less kids than those original two people. Staggering information.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Please note also that "schools letting out" might result in some additional demand, but not necessarily that much additional demand if weather may have become good weeks earlier. Couples, adult groups in general, bunches of nurses, post-spring-semester students, etc. may all be indifferent to "schools (i.e., K-12) letting out".

In the old days, yes, schools letting out meant an EXPLOSION in increased demand for good weather beach weeks. But nowadays, not nearly as much. And part of that is due to the fact that couples are choosing not to have any kids, or choosing to not even become married. That's reflected in the fact that, in more than half of U.S. states, there are more people dying than are being born (at least, that's true for white people). Think about that for a moment. The ones dying are 2 or 3 parenting generations ago. They may have themselves had four, five kids. There may be ten or so descendants that are of parenting age now. But those ten plus of the parenting generation nowadays are having less kids than those original two people. Staggering information.
]

I think the OP is just trying to figure out if that is a good week for his/her family to go to the beach for a relaxing vacation or if it would be a good week to rent out. Please don’t try to hijack his/her thread with some perceived problem of enough babies being born to some people. Who cares? We’re going to the beach!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Week 24 will be a popular week, but the one caveat is the sheer number of condos that are available to rent, outside of timeshares. That being said, our daughter was married on Orange Beach during that week five years ago. And we returned the same week the following year. There were many families with children all over, and it can be very hot, so everyone is down at the water, or in the pools. When I was renting condos, I noted that the rent peaks in price at about the first or second week in June for the area, and stays high until August.

We are returning there this March for 2 weeks, which is our normal time of season to visit....we have vacationed there numerous times since 1990. We have been to many beaches in our travels, but nothing compares to the sands on the northern gulf coast. If the timeshare is managed well, and has appropriate maintenance fees, I think you will be pleased with this acquisition.