• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guest Certificate Question

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
If I use a guest certificate this year for a 2022 reservation, does that certificate come out of my 2021 or 2022 allottment?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I thought guest certificates are calendar year and come from the year in which it’s added (not the year of check-in). Like reservation transactions, we wouldn’t even have our allotment for 2022 until January 1.
However, I very rarely use guest certificates and someone with more firsthand experience can correct me if I’m wrong.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought guest certificates are calendar year and come from the year in which it’s added (not the year of check-in). Like reservation transactions, we wouldn’t even have our allotment for 2022 until January 1.
However, I very rarely use guest certificates and someone with more firsthand experience can correct me if I’m wrong.
They do come from the calendar year like RT. It’s the housekeeping credits that go with the use year.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm wrong! And in that case, if one wanted the GC to hit the use year, she need only wait until the year rolls to add the GC. If the GC is for a concurrent owner stay, that could be a problem.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I guess I'm wrong! And in that case, if one wanted the GC to hit the use year, she need only wait until the year rolls to add the GC. If the GC is for a concurrent owner stay, that could be a problem.
I was under the impression that you were correct. I thought the only thing that mattered about when you booked it was transaction credit.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
It’s 2021. Housekeeping credits will come from 2022.

This is what I thought was the case, but wanted to check with the experts.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you were correct. I thought the only thing that mattered about when you booked it was transaction credit.

I was under that impression, too, but RT and GC are only listed for current year. Future years list HK but not the other two.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was under that impression, too, but RT and GC are only listed for current year. Future years list HK but not the other two.
It’s because you don’t “get “ them until the year begins.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It used to work by WHEN you ADDED the guest certificate NOT when the RESERVATION was for. If they didn't change that, that is how it works.

If you are out of Freebies, and you can wait (not doubled booking), then wait until Jan 1. Otherwise if you have to do one NOW, you gotta pay for one.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I've added a few for 2022 this year. They came out of my 2021 allotment.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense to have it work that way, like RTs do. They are expended once you use them on the date you use them, not the date of the stay, and you don't get them back if you cancel.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am paying $99 now for adding guests to 2022 reservations.

Jethro37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham:
Canterbury
Bali Hai
I read this to understand I can book a reservation well in advance (10 months) and then later opt to cancel or assign a guest certificate and allow another to stay there?

Is that correct or do guest certificates need to be assigned at the time of booking if you don't intend to be there?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I read this to understand I can book a reservation well in advance (10 months) and then later opt to cancel or assign a guest certificate and allow another to stay there?

Is that correct or do guest certificates need to be assigned at the time of booking if you don't intend to be there?
They do not (and can be added later) but an overlapping reservation needs to be in a different name so that may require you to use a guest cert right away.

Also if it is for 2022 and you know who will be travelling on that reservation and you have guest certs that you won't be using this year, you might as well use a 2021 GC that will expire anyway (because leftovers don't roll over) rather than use a 2022 one.

Jethro37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham:
Canterbury
Bali Hai
They do not (and can be added later) but an overlapping reservation needs to be in a different name so that may require you to use a guest cert right away.

Also if it is for 2022 and you know who will be travelling on that reservation and you have guest certs that you won't be using this year, you might as well use a 2021 GC that will expire anyway (because leftovers don't roll over) rather than use a 2022 one.
If my wife and I are both on our deed, could we rent 2 concurrent rooms on a resort under each of our names and not use a guest certificate?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If my wife and I are both on our deed, could we rent 2 concurrent rooms on a resort under each of our names and not use a guest certificate?

You can do that and add a GC later, or if you are traveling with a group you could fudge it and skip the GC. There are a few folks you will possibly hear from here on TUG that doing that is technically against the program guidelines unless you stay in one unit and your wife stays in the other, but one with a more realistic view of how life truly works would observe that they don’t actually do bed checks. Let your conscience be your guide.

Jethro37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham:
Canterbury
Bali Hai
If my wife and I are both on the same deed and book 2 units the same time at same resort (one in each of our names)can we get by without using a guest certificate or do you need them for all concurrent bookings?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not changing my answer….

Jethro37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham:
Canterbury
Bali Hai

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
If my wife and I are both on the same deed and book 2 units the same time at same resort (one in each of our names)can we get by without using a guest certificate or do you need them for all concurrent bookings?
We do this all the time when travelling with family not on our contracts. The person on the reservation needs to check in but after that it doesn't matter who is staying in the room(s), just the number of people.