• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guest Certificate - Not able to change name if someone else in party arrives early. Is it legal to charge TWICE?

Jesse6283

Reaction score
I am really annoyed with Worldmark. I paid $99 for a guest certificate and the Husband ended up arriving at 4PM and the wife's flight was delayed and was arriving at 11 PM. I called in and after speaking with reservations and owner care, they would not allow me to change to the Husband's name and I had to pay ANOTHER $99! Is it legal for them to do this? If I purchase a guest certificate am I not entitled to put the name of the guest I want on it? I also think that Worldmark should work with owners in situations like this, it seems very unfair. I know that most owners are not happy with the new guest certificate structure, I wonder if there is any way to dispute the new guest certificate fees?

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
That is really unfair. I have not had a lot of luck with owner care about the few things I've contacted them about. However, so far the most helpful person has been at this email address: Lily.Risner@wyn.com. Give her a try ~

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If there are any changes to a Reservation - name change, add a day, drop a day, etc. The GC is voided and a new one has to be used or a new Guest Fee paid. WM Folks have been complaining about this since the GC's were instituted. The WM BOD has turned off their Hearing Aides on this issue and do not care.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham has been doing it that way for years. The guest certificate is non refundable and non changeable. You can cancel it and go back to the owners but if you want another name they will charge you for another guest certificate.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If there are any changes to a Reservation - name change, add a day, drop a day, etc. The GC is voided and a new one has to be used or a new Guest Fee paid. WM Folks have been complaining about this since the GC's were instituted. The WM BOD has turned off their Hearing Aides on this issue and do not care.

If you do it over the phone and keep the same name on the GC, they will let you add days or shift a reservation without charging. Did it just the other day.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wyndham taking over WorldMark and Shell means additional fees. So far Shell doesn't have fees like that, but you know Wyndham wants that $99.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Seems like you’d want to list “Bob and Mary Smith”

TheHappyWanderer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has been doing it that way for years. The guest certificate is non refundable and non changeable. You can cancel it and go back to the owners but if you want another name they will charge you for another guest certificate.
With Worldmark, can I (as the owner), change it back from the guest's name to my own name without paying another $99 (assuming I am out of free guest certificates of course)?

I was under the impression it was another $99 to do that, so that's one more reason I always wait until the last minute to put a guest's name on a reservation.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You can change it back to an Owner's name without a GC.

Jesse6283

Reaction score
I think this is a good idea. Technically it asks for "first name" and "Last name" -- But I think you are right @JohnPaul - If you put "John & Mary" as the First Name, I honestly do not think that the front desk would give one a hard time.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Eric B
Thank you for that information.
I remember reading that another WM Owner had reported that s/he could not add/change days once the guest name had been added.
We should definitely be able to add/drop a day from the guest's reservation.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately worldmark will only allow one name on a guest certificate. I agree it would be nice if we could put both names of the couple on it but I don't make the rules. As is often mentioned try and put the guest certificate on as late as possible in case of situations like this.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just had to pay another $99 for a name change on a WorldMark reservation. Such bad policies under Wyndham.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not know Wyndham or Worldmark was that strict. With Marriott's a simple phone call to the resort telling them your guest may arrive before you.

Please let them check it.

The reservation and credit card information are still in my name.

My reservation with Marriott's are always in my name. But the Commander - in - Chief always check us into the resort or hotel.

Last edited: