• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guess where I am? I am online with WIFI IN my unit at this resort on the NC coast! Finally!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
IT'S TRUE! IT BRINGS ME MUCH HAPPINESS! IT HAS BEEN LONG-AWAITED AND MUCH ANTICIPATED WITH MANY DELAYS!

I am down here at my Home resort that was acquired by Diamond Resorts in 2015. It has been what I would term "an awful relationship." It's a long, long story that would only bore you.

No WIFI in the units. The only available "free" WIFI is at the Welcome Center and near the indoor amenities. This resort is really laid out and requires a drive from many units to these areas. The only other option has been to utilize a third party provider at an additional cost. This resort already charges a daily amenity fee of $25 + tax with no available WIFI in the units. I have been told since the Diamond acquisition that I am responsible for paying the daily amenity fee when exchanging back in through RCI. The rule was the only time there is no amenity fee is when an owner is using their deeded fixed week. Exchangers and renters through Diamond would be charged daily amenity fees.

Last year, we purchased an Extra Vacation through RCI for an off-season week back at this resort in order to attend a four-day annual festival. It was really inexpensive for a newly renovated 3BR/3BA unit with the best resort amenities in coastal NC.

I am on the Outer Banks this week in Kitty Hawk at BEACHWOODS RESORT.

It's been awhile since I've stayed onsite (about 15 months). I was at the resort last October for an HOA meeting. It was a brief day-trip only.

I was informed at check-in today that, as an owner at Beachwoods, I would NOT be charged the daily amenity fee. I also was charged only $1 for the check-in deposit since I am a former Gold Key Resorts owner. This was close to a $200 savings that I had fully anticipated paying. Nice! Wow, that's not Diamond's M.O. :ponder:

The staff that I met were very attentive and accommodating. I couldn't have asked for better service.

Then.......drum roll......I was informed that WIFI was now available in the units! I want to shout it from the rooftops. :p I needed to share with somebody and thought of YOU!

I feel so much better about Diamond right now. Promised and unexpected positives have been bestowed upon me. :D

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have a nice vacation! How is the weather there today?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Have a great time!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Yes! I know that feeling well... Outer Banks Beach Club just started free in-unit wifi maybe a 2 or 3 years ago!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool and rainy. It really doesn't matter to us. The Outer Banks are pretty quiet this time of year and it doesn't detract from the enjoyment. The resort has many indoor amenities (water park, fitness center, huge hot tub, game room, activities).

My Mom passed away in October and her Estate Sale was this past weekend and her home went up for sale. My husband got his pink slip at his 20-year job this past week. A quiet, relaxing week is all we're interested in right now. At the end of the week, there is a four-day annual festival that we enjoy. It's not snowing here and I hope that it won't. However, if it does; no problem.

I was just so happy to check-in and to feel like a "welcomed" owner. I've been waiting awhile to feel this way since the acquisition.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Egret1986,

That is good news. I am very happy for you after all that you have been thru as an owner there. Beachwoods has the potential to be a truly exceptional resort so I am glad it appears to be getting closer to fulfilling that potential. One of that last 2 major barriers holding it back IMO was the lack of WiFi in the units (while still charging a hefty daily amenity fee) and Diamond's very odd almost punitive treatment of their owners coming back in thru RCI using points that were actually generated from their ownership at Beachwoods. It never made any sense to me so I'm glad they may have finally realized their mistake and corrected that.

It sounds like Beachwoods is getting better for owners and guests.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beachwoods is the timeshare resort located behind the Super Wal Mart on OBX correct. It was very nice with some fairly decent amenities, when we exchange their many, many years ago.

I am very happy that Diamond is doing a good job of maintaining this resort.

Please write and post your review on TUG when you return home.

Enjoy your vacation time and get plenty of rest.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad you are finally having a nice time. This hasn't been a great week for me because a lot of nasty business has been drummed up on Facebook this week at your former resort. . Some owners at the resort still don't seem to realize that an increase in maintenance fees or a possible additional assessment may be necessary to get our resort to where it needs to be but the Board is working on it. It just may be slower than we hoped. Anyway, enjoy your time and if you don't mind could you advise us as to what the current maintenance fees are there. At BIS Duck, the maintenance fees this year are $750. By the way, I am sorry about the loss of your Mother.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Faye, for your condolences.

For 2018, Diamond Resorts had a maintenance fee of $995 (that is with the $7 deducted for the added voluntary ARDA fee).

I'm sorry, Faye. I know you, your husband, the BOD and many others are working really hard on restoring the resort and resolving issues. Best wishes to all of you.

PS No one likes maintenance fees going up. A majority of folks do not want special assessments even if it means improved units and/or resort amenities. During my 30+ years of timeshare, I have seen special assessments levied at most of the resorts where I have owned. Beachwoods required a hefty Special Assessment and the maintenance fees are about $350 more per year than they were in 2014 when the first acquisition took place. At the end of last year, my resort in Kill Devil Hills (9 units, oceanfront) levied a $1800 special assessment and the maintenance fees increased to $700. I am going this morning to hopefully get a chance to look at the renovations that have been completed in six of the nine units. It's more palatable as a summer week owner, but for the off-season owners, I'm sure it's a hard pill to swallow. I believe these types of increases and assessments make more and more people walk away, especially when older and not using their time at the resort or have limited incomes. Most BIS units, like my unit in Kill Devil Hills, requires lots of steps up to the units. This alone hampers a lot of people from using their time. It's a tough situation to wade through. I know my home takes lots of money to maintain and upgrade. So do the resorts. A residence is one thing, but a vacation ownership (luxury item) is another. It's not a necessity. I know that as I age, my vacations are changing up and I feel myself sliding away from timeshare ownership. I know if I was retired and on a limited income that a huge special assessment and rising maintenance fees would make me consider giving up my ownership out of necessity.

Last edited: