• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guess where Hawaii Pictures

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I knew you had the answer! I presume you've been there a time or two or three...

It's been a really long time, but yes, one time. I'm more familiar with the view from the pillboxes on the hill above Lanikai on the Windward side. :)

Dave

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It's been a really long time, but yes, one time. I'm more familiar with the view from the pillboxes on the hill above Lanikai on the Windward side. :)

Dave
Like this? Wish we arrived about an hour earlier...or later. Sun was in a bad spot. As soon as DW's foot is healed (elective surgery), we're headed to the Pink Pillbox. Not Windward, but it's on our list of sunset spots.

Attachments

• 20190706_075310.jpg
    20190706_075310.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190706_072302.jpg
    20190706_072302.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190706_071248-PANO.jpg
    20190706_071248-PANO.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190706_072943-.jpg
    20190706_072943-.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190706_073042.jpg
    20190706_073042.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 12

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Like this? Wish we arrived about an hour earlier...or later. Sun was in a bad spot. As soon as DW's foot is healed (elective surgery), we're headed to the Pink Pillbox. Not Windward, but it's on our list of sunset spots.

Yep. That's the view. From the top of that hill, if you look down the other side (away from the water) you could almost see the house I lived in back then. And if you look down toward the water and to the left, you can see the Mid-Pacific Country Club, my last place of employment before I joined the Navy. Man, that was a long time ago! :)

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Nope - but another good stab. We've seen the wild donkeys of Waikoloa, BTW.

I'll wait for a day or so to give some others a chance to respond. There are some others who may catch the clue.
So since this seems to be such a mystery .... where in Hawaii would people get off their asses???

Does this help? Hint - DW is on an ass.

1590040665730.png

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
So since this seems to be such a mystery .... where in Hawaii would people get off their asses???

Does this help? Hint - DW is on an ass.

View attachment 21149
Kalaupapa National Historical Park on Moloka? I'm glad they don't call it an ass tour.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kalaupapa National Historical Park on Moloka? I'm glad they don't call it an ass tour.
Good. So what is the beach in the original picture?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one is cheating because I didn't take the picture, and I've never been there. Can you guess where?
1590208483469.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Google Maps says it's ‘Awahua Beach.
Correct. It's the beach where you dismount when you take the mules down the trail to Kalaupapa. With a 2000 ft. change in elevation, not many people would make the trek just to hang out at 'Awahua. So, yeah, 'Awahua is usually pretty deserted.

I believe the article you cited may be incorrect in stating that a permit is needed to visit 'Awahua. I don't think a permit is needed to descend the trail to "Awahua. At the time we went, my understanding was that a permit and tour group reservation was needed to proceed beyond the immediate area where the trail reached the beach area. When we were on the mules, we did pass a few people on the trail who didn't appear to be part of a tour group - but perhaps they had made arrangements to join a tour whenever it was they did reach the bottom.

DW had friends who visited Molokai regularly (they owned a condo at Ke Nani Kai), and the husband occasionally hiked down to 'Awahua and back up for exercise.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Correct. It's the beach where you dismount when you take the mules down the trail to Kalaupapa.

Ok, now I understand why I had no idea about this picture. I've never been to Molokai. :shrug:

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ok, now I understand why I had no idea about this picture. I've never been to Molokai. :shrug:

Dave
@DaveNW You should put it on your bucket list. I loved it when we went. Dh and dds not so much. @T_R_Oglodyte Dd #1 and I flew into Kalapapa, there was no way we were going to hike or take a mule. We did have other people join our group who had hiked or "muled" in. Some of them ended up flying out with us.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
@DaveNW You should put it on your bucket list. I loved it when we went. Dh and dds not so much. @T_R_Oglodyte Dd #1 and I flew into Kalapapa, there was no way we were going to hike or take a mule. We did have other people join our group who had hiked or "muled" in. Some of them ended up flying out with us.
We found the mule ride very enjoyable - it added to the pleasure of the trip. Even DW and SIL, who had huge reservations about it wound up enjoying it. That's DW in the pic in post #304. The big disadvantage is that at the end of the ride, you end up smelling like mule. Afterward we went to a local cookhouse for dinner; normally I wouldn't have wanted to go to an eatery smelling like we did. But serving dinner to people after mule ride is a good portion of their business, so it was OK. And we weren't the only ones.

We also enjoyed the week on Molokai. We went in knowing that it wasn't going to be like the other islands. That there wasn't much to do and it was laid back. We also just tried to blend in and be gracious guests, and we didn't have any issues with stink-eye that many people report. From our experience, the Molokai people we interacted with were wary of people who come in as tourists, but are friendly if you meet them where they are. We really enjoyed the community Friday night hula.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Molokai has been on the list forever, just hasn't ever quite happened. Nice knowing there are some very different things to do. Is there a different word for mule riders than horse riders, or are they all considered Paniolo?

Dave

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Here's one for you. The road running through the middle is your best hint.

20200517_125040.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kudos to anyone who can identify this waterfall. Hints - it's on Kauai and it's not in Waimea Canyom.

1590256143784.png

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

View attachment 21255
Divided highway like that suggests O'ahu. Vegetation says windward side. I don't know O'ahu very well, so that's as far as I will venture with my thoughts.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 21255
Looks like H3 on Oahu. It's an elevated highway, but if I had a good picture of it, I would have posted it on the favorite bridges site.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Divided highway like that suggests O'ahu. Vegetation says windward side. I don't know O'ahu very well, so that's as far as I will venture with my thoughts.
Looks like H3 on Oahu. It's an elevated highway, but if I had a good picture of it, I would have posted it on the favorite bridges site.
Yep. Oahu - Aiea Loop trail looking over the H3 approaching the tunnel from Leeward shortly before the tunnel that pops you out on Winward overlooking Kaneohe.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep. Oahu - Aiea Loop trail looking over the H3 approaching the tunnel from Leeward shortly before the tunnel that pops you out on Winward overlooking Kaneohe.
One could ask why it's called Interstate H-3 when in never leaves the state.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One could ask why it's called Interstate H-3 when in never leaves the state.
  1. Because it was a nationwide Federal public works project, and it was considered inappropriate to exclude otherwise qualified projects because Hawaii is an island.
  2. There are other segments of the interstate highway system that do not cross state boundaries.
  3. The underlying authorization for the interstate highway system is the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627). The interstate highways in Hawaii are deemed to provide vital transportation links for DoD facilities and installations in Hawaii, regardless of the fact that they don't cross state lines, From the Wikipedia article on the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956:
"Eisenhower advocated for the highways for the purpose of national defense. In the event of a ground invasion by a foreign power, the U.S. Army would need good highways to be able to transport troops and material across the country efficiently. Following completion of the highways the cross-country journey that took the convoy two months in 1919 was cut down to five days."

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one is cheating because I didn't take the picture, and I've never been there. Can you guess where?
View attachment 21238

Here's a hint. The owner of this estate is a famous author and has a nice collection of cars, including this one.
1590370268723.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent