• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Green Fees for Visitors are again on the table

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
More in the proposed $50 Visitor Annual Passport.

Okay, well that sounds good. I didn't know Hawaii was in a different country now, but I will pay the passport fee annually to go to a tropical destination that I love, but I may go more, if it's an annual passport fee that is good for as many trips as I want. I already have six weeks on Maui for Feb-Mar and two weeks in July on the BI, and I have on hold two weeks at Westin North for September. I think I will keep those two weeks and go then as well. It gets hot in Colorado, and I can turn the AC off here and enjoy the AC at Westin. Or maybe I will retrade those weeks for Kauai to enjoy another part of the island.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're only there for 2-3 weeks in years that we go, and I'd have no trouble paying it---especially if it helps reduce demand for some of these super-crowded places. It's no different than the Recreational Passports that we buy for each of our cars every year for Michigan state parks and rec areas. One of the best values ever.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I listened to the fine points of the $50 Green Fee and there are issues on implementation. First of all one only has to pay the fee for the license if they want to access a State Park. Staying in Wakiki like a large number of tourists do one may not go to a State Park so you don't have to pay the fee. The Waikiki beaches are not State Parks neither is the Arizona Memorial.

When you are a new visitor you probably want to see all of the sites which may include state parks. If you are a return visitor, like we were many times before we bourght our condo, you probably won't pay the $50 fee for the license sicne you have been there and done that.

Now there are State Parks that are monitored with staff and others that are not. If the park is not monitored with staff one can go unnoticed and not pay the fee.

Other State Parks have staff that collect the access fee, like Dimaond Head. I guess that now instead of collecting the access fee they will just be checking that people over 15 years old have the license. While the State gets the $50 fee for the license they lose the Diamond Head park entrance fee for all that enter.

How much will it cost to implement and collect this new fee?

Yes, all those issues will have to be addressed to make it feasible. This is just a proposal and I really don't know how workable it is. Time will tell.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the goal is to reduce over-use, the fee needn't do more than break even vs. costs of enforcement, and it probably doesn't need to be enforced at smaller places which are not over-used. So a lot of those concerns are things that might not matter in the end.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If the goal is to reduce over-use, the fee needn't do more than break even vs. costs of enforcement, and it probably doesn't need to be enforced at smaller places which are not over-used. So a lot of those concerns are things that might not matter in the end.
When articles and proponents mention a fee will raise x millions of dollars each year, they aren’t looking to break even. For the most part it will get squandered in government waste.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes, all those issues will have to be addressed to make it feasible. This is just a proposal and I really don't know how workable it is. Time will tell.
I agree this is just a proposal and it is different than the first proposal that Governor Green proposed since certain people brought problems to his attention on the first proposal. It will be changed again by the legislature. It seems that the Government of Hawaii wants to do something but they don't know what they want to do. Perhaps just start to charge or charge more at the frequently used parks is a simpler solution to the overcroweded parks, rather than inventing a new wheel. If they do that they could, if they want, sell an annual pass at the parks that they do charge at instead of a day pass. Problem solved. No new system.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It's like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
This "sheep" is choosing not to go there again. Been there, done that, and wasn't impressed. So many other places that are much nicer, and actually appreciate visitors.

Kurt

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This "sheep" is choosing not to go there again. Been there, done that, and wasn't impressed. So many other places that are much nicer, and actually appreciate visitors.

Kurt

I know a lot of people who won't come to Hawaii, with or without a new $50 fee.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Like I said, airfare and the economy are main driving factors amd a new $50 fee will not be.

We booked our flights last week. Interesting is the airfare is only a few hundred more for the both of us. A $50 fee isn't really anything we are concerned about. I really doubt that a $50 fee would deter tourist going to Hawaii.

I think most of the reason tourism is still down is the Japanese and Koreans haven't returned in the numbers prior to covid. This was noticeable last January.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Kurt

I get this Kurt. I find Mexico to be a much nicer vibe and easier on the funds than Hawaii. Going out to dinner in Mexico to a fine dining establishment is about 60% less than dining at a mediocre restaurant in Hawaii. That being said, we really enjoy Hawaiian weather in the winter and will continue visiting long after our Mexican timeshare rtu's have expired. This is mostly because of the health care situation as we age. For us, I'm thinking around age 70 we will be wintering in Hawaii only.

Bill