• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Great Family Restaurants Near Disney

chap7

Banned
Reaction score
My wife and I, three children (6,3,2) and two grandparents will be at Disney this July. We are looking for great family restaurants close to Disney. Price range can vary. We already have our character meals planned. 1600 Park Fare, Royal Castle, Chef Mickey, Liberty Tavern and then Hollywood and Vine to see Fantasmic. We are considering adding Cape May, as well.

Is there anything off site you can recommend? We are not interested in any of the dinner shows, though. I know there are a lot of places on International drive and we would probably just head over there and wing it if we didn't have something planned.

We are staying at the Houses at Summer Bay, if that helps to narrow down locations a little bit.

As always, thank you for any suggestions that you may have.

Craig

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Golden Corral, they are everywhere in Orlando...

chap7 said:
My wife and I, three children (6,3,2) and two grandparents will be at Disney this July. We are looking for great family restaurants close to Disney. Price range can vary. We already have our character meals planned. 1600 Park Fare, Royal Castle, Chef Mickey, Liberty Tavern and then Hollywood and Vine to see Fantasmic. We are considering adding Cape May, as well.

Is there anything off site you can recommend? We are not interested in any of the dinner shows, though. I know there are a lot of places on International drive and we would probably just head over there and wing it if we didn't have something planned.

We are staying at the Houses at Summer Bay, if that helps to narrow down locations a little bit.

As always, thank you for any suggestions that you may have.

Craig

I would recommend the Golden Corral for their breakfast, lunch or dinner buffets with un limited food a plenty. Your family of 7 will eat dinner there for under $50. Adults and kids alike love it and there are some that do not. Based on the long lines there (which move quickly by the way), there appears to be more that do than don't. :D

frenchieinme ;)

Vodo

Reaction score
We always visit the Golden Corral also. There's one on 192 about 4 miles from Summer Bay. You can save an additional 10% by picking up one of the ever available Disney area coupon books (they even have them at the restaurant itself on the exit corridor). Also in that general vicinity, there's a Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, Outback, TGI Friday's, Chik-Fil-A, Giordano's (Italian), Beef O'Briedy's and Houlihan's.

Additionally, there's a Publix right next door to Summer Bay and a Super Walmart just around the corner on Highway 27.

Cindy

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a little off topic...

This is a little off topic because it "IS NOT" a great family restaurant. But I just did a search for Sam's Clubs in Orlando and came up with several. I do not know if this is a nation wide thing for Sam's clubs but the ones around us here have a snack bar with very reasonable prices.
A giant slice of pizza and a supersized refillable soda are under $3. It makes a nice affordable snack/lunch when you are out and about. They also have hot dogs (huge hot dogs) salads and chicken raps. If you want a whole pizza they will cook anyone you want and it will be under $8 with any toppings from what is available. In my mind it beats McDonalds.

Every meal doesn't have to be a sit down waitor'ed affair for $50+.

Scott

chap7

Banned
Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you all so much. Sam's Club is something I would not have thought of, but I agree that not every meal has to be a waitered affair. Sam's Club sounds like an inexpensive and easy alternative.

There's also a restaurant that I visited a few years ago on International Drive (near the Ripley's Museum, maybe) that was an all you can eat seafood buffet. It was a free standing building, in the front of a parking lot of a shopping center. Possibly also near a racing themed restaurant. Any ideas on the name of this one?

chap7

Banned
Reaction score
Boston Lobster Feast was the seafood buffet. It even included all you can eat lobster. I definitely recommend it.

magiroux

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 3 "CiCi's Pizza" locations in Orlando. All-You-Can-Eat pizza/pasta/salad for $3.99. I never got there myself, but my friend who lives in Orlando takes her (growing) boys there all the time and they love it.

BTW Craig, We will also be at the Houses at Summer Bay for two weeks starting July 22nd. Can't wait :D .

ArBravesFan

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fish Bones on Sandlake and International Drive has great steaks and seafood.

DianeV

TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids love going to the Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney..

Also i wouldnt recommend the Golden Corral on 192..I had a horrible experience with the food being old and nasty and the place was just disgusting..I have heard the same thing from others. It may be a little longer drive but the one over on 535 near Bahama Breeze (across from Vistana kinda) is MUCH nicer

timetraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
DianeV said:

Also i wouldnt recommend the Golden Corral on 192..I had a horrible experience with the food being old and nasty and the place was just disgusting..I have heard the same thing from others. It may be a little longer drive but the one over on 535 near Bahama Breeze (across from Vistana kinda) is MUCH nicer

Bahama Breeze is one of our favorites. Good kids menu too. I guess we are big kids...because we love the Rainforest Cafe as well.

All of the restaurants up and down Hwy 192 have good kid menus actually. So just pick the place you and your wife want it eat at. :)

Vodo

Reaction score
DianeV said:

Our experiences at the 192 Golden Corral (and there have been MANY) have, for the most part, been fine. It's an older store, so it's not as aesthetically appealing as the one on 535, but we've always thought the food was better prepared - more flavorful. The store on 535 has food that looks beautiful, but doesn't taste as good, at least to us. :)

BTW, Disney area Golden Corral's charge dinner prices (about $10 plus beverage) for both lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. The rest of the week, lunch is $6.99 plus beverage. Drinks run close to $2.00, so if you have any water-drinkers, you'll save quite a bit of money. Seniors (60+) get beverages free with their meal. And if you arrive between something like 1:00 and 3:00 on a week day, seniors get $1.00 off their meal plus the free beverage. (Can you tell that we vacation on a tight budget? We spend about 12 weeks a year in the Disney area, and with that many vacations, we have to learn to cut corners. :))

Cindy

MarTN

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 Character Meals is a lot. How long are you there? I think too many diminshes the magic. I'm sure others would disagree.

dmensing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second timetraveler's recommendation of Bahama Breeze. The other restaurant we always seem to gravitate back to is Giordano's Pizza on 192. Giordano's would be fairly close to you at Summer Bay.

HTH,
Dan.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the family to the Gaylord Palms Hotel. It is on Osceola Pkway across from the Marriott World Center. Find out more by going to www.gaylordhotels.com and clicking on Gaylord Palms. They have an ice village with slides and a restaurant that is a boat. They have a clown on stilts who makes balloon animals for the kids. It's a pretty neat place and our then 7 year old g-son had to go a couple of times. Linda

DanR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fish Bones

Just a word of caution if you go to Fish Bones at the corner of sand Lake and International Blvd.
Make sure you ask the price of any specials that the waitress mentions at the table. They don't tell you the price unless you ask.

My wife ordered a special that was not on the menu.
Better stay seated when you get the bill.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
magiroux said:
There are 3 "CiCi's Pizza" locations in Orlando. All-You-Can-Eat pizza/pasta/salad for $3.99. I never got there myself, but my friend who lives in Orlando takes her (growing) boys there all the time and they love it.

They just opened a CiCi's here in Plainfield Illinois about 10 minutes from my home. We will be going there sometime in the next few weeks I am sure. If I do, I will let you know how it was. As a Chicagoan I feel I know something about pizza. :)

Scott

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
okay this is not great food - at all - but cheap and fairly decent Ponderosa Steak House...

you can get a guide book for Kissimmee

http://www.floridakiss.com/tools/requestinfo/index.php

it is free...

of course I don't like this year. before they labeled all the hotels on their maps...

now they just give you the maps.... :mad:

long ago when I first started to use them they actually labeled everything - hotels, restuarants, shops, malls - it was nice....but then it grew and grew - well that map would be impossible today. They don't even tell you near while mile marker....

but they could still do a hotel one!!!

there is a Dinning section in the back - but what type of food you are interested in.... (steak is a separate section)

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
ArBravesFan said:
Fish Bones on Sandlake and International Drive has great steaks and seafood.

If you are going to Fishbones (excellent choice by the way) RESERVATIONS is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frenchieinme ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Black Angus, Smoky Bones, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze and Olive Garden are some of our favorite family restaurants near Disney. Smoky Bones is near a Publix off of 192, but I cannot remember which direction. We like the restaurants by the Florida Mall the best. Smoky Bones, Red Lobster and Olive Garden are all near the mall. Also, Fronterras is a great Mexican food restaurant near the Florida Mall.

Near the convention center, you can find all of the above restaurants, but I have not seen a Fronterra's near the CC.

We really enjoyed the Golden Corral by Bahama Breeze near Vistana as well. The food was great and lunch was regularly $6.99 for all you can eat, but with 10% discount, it was even less.

cpnuser

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurants- Olive Garden, Sam's Club

Don't know if you get reward points with your credit card charges. My credit card offers Olive Garden(good at all Darden restaurants-Bahama Breeze), Outback and various other restaurant gift certificates when I accumulate enough points(usually around 3500) to get free $25 gift certificates. Great to use on vacations. The Sam's Club pizza runs about $8 for a very large pizza and is very good. Sam's Club usually will give you a one day pass, if you are not a member.

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorites include several that we visit every year.
Bahama Breeze has become a fairly recent family favorite. Nice atmosphere, good food, moderately priced, but VERY busy. Either go early for dinner or use their call first option (call in before heading to the restaurant to have your name placed on their list) as they do not accept reservations. We go to their location near Vistana, but I think there's one on International Drive, too.
Rainforest Cafe is fun but also challenged with a lengthy wait time. We like the Downtown Disney location while there's another at the Animal Kingdom theme park.
Landry's Seafood is located on Route 535 near Vistana (and near Bahama Breeze). Landry's and Rainforest are jointly owned by a large restaurant chain company. Predictably good food in a nice setting.
For about six years we've started our Orlando vacations with a visit to Disney's Boardwalk area. It's become a family tradition to arrive in Orlando around lunch time and head to the ESPN Cafe. Slightly above average sports bar food at average prices. Its the atmosphere that makes the place with scads of sports on the many television sets. We've seen everything from a multi-screen Tiger Woods on his way to another win to spring training games to March Madness (with us being the only people in the place taking notice of a University of Vermont game last year).
The Big River Grille & Brewery is another nice Boardwalk choice.
The All-Star Cafe at Disney's Wide World of Sports is similar to the ESPN Cafe.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Steak & Shake

We usually find ourselves & the whole family chowing down at least once per Orlando vacation at Steak & Shake.

Yum.

There are several Orlando Steak & Shake locations. We usually tuck in at the 1 located at 12163 S. Apopka-Vineland Road. That's close to Exit 68 off I-4. It's also right around the corner from Cypress Pointe Grandevillas, our Orlando home timeshare resort.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

jef

Reaction score
Sweet Tomatoes (I Drive and Kirkman) and Panera Bread (several locations) are 2 of our favorite's.