• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Granite vs marble

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Silestone quartz counters and undermount sinks. We installed them about a year after moving into our home 16 years ago. They look and perform just as well as they did when new.

In our 'new-to-us', 8 y.o. condo there are nearly black, sparkly granite countertops. They show every speck of dust, waterspot, drip. I Loathe them. Plans are already in the works to replace them. It will be with more Silestone, or possibly concrete.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think her bigger concern is around the cutout for the sink and such...as its a regularly wet area.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The other thing is with our black/tan granite and our crema pearl granite designs you can't see anything on them! In fact, if their are crumbs or whatever you don't notice it as the designs are just busy enough to camouflage them. I actually find this annoying! i would rather see what is on them so I can know to clean them!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really like your walnut countertops. Can you give me an estimate as to how much they cost per sf?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
102 linear inches 25.5 deep and 1.5 this was $1400 in NYC.

There are some online sellers who are lower in cost and your kitchen fitter fabricated the holes on site. Fresh sharp drills and blades and fine sandpaper and all is good for the cuts.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Countertops are so personal and so situational ... light in room, cabinets, view from other rooms, style of house, color style of owners, etc.

Look at many things ... cabinet hardware is CHEAP and easy to replace .. just get the same size HOLE location, clean and wax (wood finished) drawer and door fronts and install. Try at least 3 or 4 styles before ... you be surprised by how your "kitchen look" may change for under $200 dollars.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here's some pics of mine. Notice the Smugglers Notch mug. LOL!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here's another of the island

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 64

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Another- sorry I do not know how to get them all in one post.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 52

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The last- the side hutch. It was challenging because I had to pick granite to match 3 different cabinet colors- cream, expresso and red maple- and not to mention picking the tiles for the backslash but as you can see it worked out.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
OK. One more. This is pretty much inexpensive granite- the kind you might see in doctor's offices, but, as Linda said, it really depends on what works for your home and your usage.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
102 linear inches 25.5 deep and 1.5 this was $1400 in NYC.

There are some online sellers who are lower in cost and your kitchen fitter fabricated the holes on site. Fresh sharp drills and blades and fine sandpaper and all is good for the cuts.

That's pretty reasonable. Thanks for the info!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we debated this for a long time. We are redoing our kitchen with marble. We put marble in our bathroom and just love it. We are doing white cabinets, dark island, dark hardwood floors and marble countertops. It is a beautiful, timeless look. We know about the staining and will be meticulous with cleaning and sealing.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I'd choose...

Quartz. We currently have bathrooms with marble and kitchens with granite in our two homes.

Marble in our bathrooms has been the most difficult product we've had to deal with. When we bought our primary home, it had a marble bathroom that was about 10 years old. It's a very humid environment without adequate ventilation. I suspect someone used the wrong products in the shower as there are yellow discolorations in areas of high use and where mildew can form. I plan to remodel that bathroom and am torn on what to use on the floors and in the shower but the countertop will be quartz.

I'm bored with my kitchen granite countertops in both houses. Both are dark. One is labradorite and is amazing up close but I wouldn't choose it again. If there is a next time I'm going with the lighter, cleaner, more modern look of quartz with less upkeep. The granite areas on each side of our stove need resealing more often than the rest. Areas become dull looking more quickly there.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I really wanted a big farm sink, but considering the cost and the fact that the cabinets below it would be very low and small, I went with a choice of one of the stainless steel sinks in the package.

I got a double stainless steel under mount sink- one side for rinsing veggies and the other side for washing dishes. The only thing I do not like about the under mount sinks is that you have to be careful with washing large pots that could hit the granite edge around the inside of the sink.

You have to be careful also about the cut out for the faucet, too. I have very limited space between the sink and the backsplash/window area-so got a single handle faucet with a pull-out sprayer head.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
we debated this for a long time. We are redoing our kitchen with marble. We put marble in our bathroom and just love it. We are doing white cabinets, dark island, dark hardwood floors and marble countertops. It is a beautiful, timeless look. We know about the staining and will be meticulous with cleaning and sealing.

The staining is in an instant! The sealers don't protect from acids. Also, marble is very soft and WILL NOT get along with knives and dropped dishes.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out concrete. I've seen concrete counters that are amazing.[/QUOTE]

I like the look of concrete, but it also stains. My friend's kids left caramels wrapped in waxed paper on her counter in the sun and the oil leached out and stained her counter. I would have to guess other oils would do the same.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that glass backsplash is also outstanding!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but does anyone know what variety of granite is in this picture?

Grey-Granite-Countertops5.jpg

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with granite is that with the exception of ubatuba, and a few others it could be called many names. It looks like an Indian granite in the juparana family

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really wanted a big farm sink, but considering the cost and the fact that the cabinets below it would be very low and small, I went with a choice of one of the stainless steel sinks in the package.

I got a double stainless steel under mount sink- one side for rinsing veggies and the other side for washing dishes. The only thing I do not like about the under mount sinks is that you have to be careful with washing large pots that could hit the granite edge around the inside of the sink.

You have to be careful also about the cut out for the faucet, too. I have very limited space between the sink and the backsplash/window area-so got a single handle faucet with a pull-out sprayer head.
uploadfromtaptalk1453839303701.jpg
The cabinet below mine has a trash can. Recycling can and space for the compost.

Loadsa room under this sink.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1453839419857.jpgHere it is with the door shut.

We recently reconfigured this part to put the sliding drawer and trash in here. That's why when you look carefully the sink trim is missing. It has been cut to size but not yet painted and re-installed.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We have a recycled glass countertop. It's similar to quartz or corian in terms of looks and durability because the process they use to make it is similar. But it's more environmentally friendly than anything mined or made with mined materials. We love it.

We also have a recycled copper sink, very low energy appliances, recycled rugs and floor mats, and many other eco-friendly aspects to our home. I honestly can't say enough about the copper sink. It's fantastic! But you have to actually like copper - it's a fun metal :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id love a copper sink...i think they look amazing! right up until I see the sticker price compared to stainless!

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your many pictures and suggestions. I especially like the idea of visiting developments and looking at different tops that way. Better than looking a the slab by itself.