• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista week - want to sell or just get rid of

AmandaP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
My mom has been a deeded owner since 2004 at GV. She and my dad purchased it prior to him passing in 2010. After that I’ve been the one trying to figure out how to use it, generally she’s deposited it to interval and either she’s vacationed with us, or my brother or I have used the week.

The maintenance fee is now at a point where she doesn’t want to continue to pay it when she really does not use the weeks very often herself. She inquired with Marriott about listing it for sale in December 2022, but they said they haven’t gotten an interested buyer yet.

We stayed at GV this last week for the first time in like 12 years and they wanted to do an owners presentation to “update” us on the points system. It was cold the first morning and they gave her $200 and my husband and I another $150 so we listened to just see what it was. Of course they wanted her to buy at least another 1000 points ($15k) to enroll her week in the points system. We said no thank you (to 3 different people) and got the heck out of the sales center.

I’m trying to decipher whether she should keep it listed with Marriott to resale to a 3rd party (they quoted her $8000 with a net $4500 sell proceeds). Anyone that can make sense of timeshare language and a helpful opinion on her best next step would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the week was purchased prior to 2010 she should be able to enroll it in the points program (abound) and choose each year to elect pointo or use the week at GV or deposit into II.
But the points you get for the week won’t be enough to even stay that exact same week at GV. You can bank points and borrow ahead and use 3 years points to book a stay if needed.

But that doesn’t change the maintenance fees and if you don’t feel they are worth the trips you get for them then certainly look into selling.
Have a look on redweek.com to see what similar units are selling for. It won’t be much but if you are not enjoying it and want to stop paying the yearly fees then sell.

Others will be along with advice I am sure!

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My mom has been a deeded owner since 2004 at GV. She and my dad purchased it prior to him passing in 2010. After that I’ve been the one trying to figure out how to use it, generally she’s deposited it to interval and either she’s vacationed with us, or my brother or I have used the week.

The maintenance fee is now at a point where she doesn’t want to continue to pay it when she really does not use the weeks very often herself. She inquired with Marriott about listing it for sale in December 2022, but they said they haven’t gotten an interested buyer yet.

We stayed at GV this last week for the first time in like 12 years and they wanted to do an owners presentation to “update” us on the points system. It was cold the first morning and they gave her $200 and my husband and I another $150 so we listened to just see what it was. Of course they wanted her to buy at least another 1000 points ($15k) to enroll her week in the points system. We said no thank you (to 3 different people) and got the heck out of the sales center.

I’m trying to decipher whether she should keep it listed with Marriott to resale to a 3rd party (they quoted her $8000 with a net $4500 sell proceeds). Anyone that can make sense of timeshare language and a helpful opinion on her best next step would be greatly appreciated!

It's likely she can enroll for free and she could transfer it to you and end up enrolled as well. Extra fees enrolled are the Club Dues but it would remove the II membership cost, lock off fee and make MVC to MVC exchanges free if that's all that was listed. Still, it is a cost. The trouble is that it likely doesn't have a lot of value once any costs are paid. If it's Platinum one might end up with $1-2K once all is said or done depending on 2 vs 3BR. Below Platinum it gets dicey just to get out break even. She might inquire of MVC if they will just take it back and be done with it, that avoids fooling with the sale, sales costs and the possibility of paying next years fees.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you stayed at Grande Vista this past week it sounds like she owns Platinum season.

As the others said she should be able to enroll for free. It’s a crime the sales person advised her to buy points in order to enroll it. Being enrolled allows the owner to rent points from other owners for any year you need more. That’s a real bonus.

Question is do you want a week’s vacation (or 2) for the price of the maintenance fee? Grande Vista trades in the Florida Club and has the possibility of getting into Ocean Pointe.

It’s a very flexible system.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Enroll and then do a family transfer. Or like others said, if you decide to sale, maybe net 2k. You can sell via Tug Marketshare or Redweek on your own.

AmandaP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Since you stayed at Grande Vista this past week it sounds like she owns Platinum season.

As the others said she should be able to enroll for free. It’s a crime the sales person advised her to buy points in order to enroll it. Being enrolled allows the owner to rent points from other owners for any year you need more. That’s a real bonus.

Question is do you want a week’s vacation (or 2) for the price of the maintenance fee? Grande Vista trades in the Florida Club and has the possibility of getting into Ocean Pointe.

It’s a very flexible system.

It is a Gold week, even though she is an owner this recent stay was not her week and instead an exchange through interval.

So how do we enroll for free, I feel like I asked that during the presentation and they said since she is a legacy owner she had to buy
some points to “unlock” her week and allow it to be enrolled for vacation club points ( not bonvoy points).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a Gold week, even though she is an owner this recent stay was not her week and instead an exchange through interval.

So how do we enroll for free, I feel like I asked that during the presentation and they said since she is a legacy owner she had to buy
some points to “unlock” her week and allow it to be enrolled for vacation club points ( not bonvoy points).

IMO a gold week has little value unless you'll actually use it or unless you want to use it to be able to rent additional points transferred to you. A 3 BR would have some value. It's reasonable to keep it for exchange and enroll for the benefits mentioned above, but I would not use it to get points on the unit itself as a routine.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

So you do feel it’s worth the maintenance fees?
Do you want your mother to transfer ownership to you?
Is this unit part of the Florida club (not all GV are).
Is it a 2 BR lock off?
Have you been successful & happy trading on II?

There is no sense in enrolling in abound if you are going to sell- the enrollment won’t transfer.

If however your mother is going to gift the unit to you then she should enroll first since enrollments transfer to children.
If you or your mother are going to continue to own the unit and you have a 2 bedroom lock off you will save on fees by enrolling even if you never elect points - unless you own other TS that share the same II account as this unit.
Abound dues give you a free II account but it can only hold enrolled weeks, free lockoff, free exchange among abound properties (which means if you cancel an exchange you lose $0 and spend $0 to rebook another abound).

Log onto the MVC owners site then click resources and helpful tools and you will find more info and possibly a webinar offering free enrollment. Sales people these days are pushing buying 1000 points to weeks owners and saying if you don’t you won’t have access to all properties. That is a sales tactic- no one here has found that to be true.

I own a gold MVC Orlando lockoff and I have been happy with my II trades for years. I learned to reserve the highest TDI week in my season, lock off and deposit into II and immediately place a request for 10-12+ months ahead. I’m realistic- I don’t thing my studio is going to trade into a 2 bedroom Hawaii but I have always been able to get a larger unit in Orlando or someplace else shoulder season.

The decision for you is do you want to pay the maintenance fees and do the planning required to use the week.
You won’t make much selling it would just be relief from the fees.
Good luck.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gold week has very little resale value. If it’s a Florida Club unit you can use it to book a Summer week at Ocean Pointe which is a very nice feature!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you go to Helpful tools - Ownership webiner.
Scroll all the way down to the one labeled "UNDERSTANDING THE BENEFITS OF ENROLLMENT" and you will see the video that has this note:
"Owners who reside in the U.S. whose weeks were purchased by June 20, 2010, will be offered free enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program after viewing this entire presentation."

AmandaP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
So you do feel it’s worth the maintenance fees?
Do you want your mother to transfer ownership to you?
Is this unit part of the Florida club (not all GV are).
Is it a 2 BR lock off?
Have you been successful & happy trading on II?

There is no sense in enrolling in abound if you are going to sell- the enrollment won’t transfer.

If however your mother is going to gift the unit to you then she should enroll first since enrollments transfer to children.
If you or your mother are going to continue to own the unit and you have a 2 bedroom lock off you will save on fees by enrolling even if you never elect points - unless you own other TS that share the same II account as this unit.
Abound dues give you a free II account but it can only hold enrolled weeks, free lockoff, free exchange among abound properties (which means if you cancel an exchange you lose $0 and spend $0 to rebook another abound).

Log onto the MVC owners site then click resources and helpful tools and you will find more info and possibly a webinar offering free enrollment. Sales people these days are pushing buying 1000 points to weeks owners and saying if you don’t you won’t have access to all properties. That is a sales tactic- no one here has found that to be true.

I own a gold MVC Orlando lockoff and I have been happy with my II trades for years. I learned to reserve the highest TDI week in my season, lock off and deposit into II and immediately place a request for 10-12+ months ahead. I’m realistic- I don’t thing my studio is going to trade into a 2 bedroom Hawaii but I have always been able to get a larger unit in Orlando or someplace else shoulder season.

The decision for you is do you want to pay the maintenance fees and do the planning required to use the week.
You won’t make much selling it would just be relief from the fees.
Good luck.

Thank you, so helpful! I did find the webinar and it does say she would qualify for the free enrollment.

We have been happy with exchanging through interval for the most part.

My husband and I should consider if it’s worth the maintenance fee, I’ve just been trying to help her and hadn’t thought much about her transferring to me.

I don’t know about Florida Club or where I would be able to tell that?

It is a two bedroom with lock off.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, so helpful! I did find the webinar and it does say she would qualify for the free enrollment.

We have been happy with exchanging through interval for the most part.

My husband and I should consider if it’s worth the maintenance fee, I’ve just been trying to help her and hadn’t thought much about her transferring to me.

It is a two bedroom with lock off.

One point on the 2 BR is while her ownership may be tied to a lock off, GV has both and one can reserve either. Also, one is not guaranteed a lock off when reserving, it's still subject to availability.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We own a couple of gold season 2 BR weeks at GV that we got for free on eBay an here on TUG. As noted the value is in your use an there wouldn't be much if any resale value. Assuming they are Florida Club you can also go to Ocean Pointe late spring through the summer, which we've done before.

It's a strong trader if you book week 21 and deposit 12 months out. Assumng a lock off we pay about $1100 a week all-in to trade in Interval, which nets us two weeks.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Florida Club allows you to exchange into four other Florida Marriott Resorts as long as you reserve "like for like". Like for like is trading in the Gold Season at the other four Resorts (since you own Gold at Grande Vista), and the unit has to be the same size as the unit you are giving up, i.e. a one bedroom for a one bedroom, a studio for a studio, a two bedroom for a two bedroom.

You can only trade within six months time frame......

You should inquire to confirm that your unit is in fact a member of the Florida Club. "Most" Grande Vista units are in the Florida Club while a few are not.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a couple of gold season 2 BR weeks at GV that we got for free on eBay an here on TUG. As noted the value is in your use an there wouldn't be much if any resale value. Assuming they are Florida Club you can also go to Ocean Pointe late spring through the summer, which we've done before.

It's a strong trader if you book week 21 and deposit 12 months out. Assumng a lock off we pay about $1100 a week all-in to trade in Interval, which nets us two weeks.
Amanda this is the reason to enroll in the club you week even if you never use points.
Club dues for 1 week are $230 which give free lock off I don’t know the current costs since I am enrolled but I think it is $80, in network exchanges might be about $160 each ($320), II membership is $100, and eplus for in case you need to change is $89 (178) which you don’t need because with exchange fee of $0 in network. That’s over $600 in costs without membership in the club, vs $230 in club. You still need to pay II upsize fees and if you exchange outside of about the exchange fee and need for eplus comes back.

One additional comment- I own gold season at Harbour Lake and I have never had a problem reserving a lock off to deposit into II. There is 1 week where I get 10 points higher TDI but I don’t think that’s a huge deal because I always request early in network.

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amanda this is the reason to enroll in the club you week even if you never use points.
Club dues for 1 week are $230 which give free lock off I don’t know the current costs since I am enrolled but I think it is $80, in network exchanges might be about $160 each ($320), II membership is $100, and eplus for in case you need to change is $89 (178) which you don’t need because with exchange fee of $0 in network. That’s over $600 in costs without membership in the club, vs $230 in club. You still need to pay II upsize fees and if you exchange outside of about the exchange fee and need for eplus comes back.

One additional comment- I own gold season at Harbour Lake and I have never had a problem reserving a lock off to deposit into II. There is 1 week where I get 10 points higher TDI but I don’t think that’s a huge deal because I always request early in network.

Were my Club dues $295 because we own more than 1 week?

We own a Platinum Manor Club. Paid too much for it because they were at the end of selling the property. Maintenance fees are $1697. It's the lowest value for the m/f but much better to keep than to sell. Like your Grande Vista we wouldn't get much. As an exchange it's a bonus. With the '22 week we got a 2 bedroom unit at Canyon Villas in November for the studio. Phoenix is beautiful in November. Rentals at Canyon Villas in November are running $2450-$3000. Canyon Villas maintenance fees run $1848. The Manor Club Master portion traded into Grande Ocean for Easter '23. We also own Grande Ocean. That maintenance fee alone is $1778. Grande Ocean Easter rents roughly $3000-3500.

At times I've turned it in for points. The maintenance fee is so high and point value low but the cost per point is comparable to the maintenance fee of pure points, $.70. If I don't have enough points I can combine this with points rented from other owners. I've used the points to make reservations that are considerably lower than renting the same weeks on Redweek.

The money to purchase the Manor Club week is long gone. Selling it wouldn't recover a bad purchase, rather it would be a waste. Getting into the MVC system with an enrolled or enrollable week today is very costly.

A Grande Vista week has more value. According to the maintenance fee thread yours is $1583. Potentially you can have 2 weeks for $1583.

Where do you live? What resorts in the MVC system intrigue you?

AmandaP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

We live in Indiana, we have family in the panhandle so my mom would like to get there at some point. She also likes AZ. If my husband and I are using it we are much more likely to travel to about anywhere. We’d like to make a trip out to CA (kid free soon).

Generally anywhere warm from November to April to escape the cold is where we generally look.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were my Club dues $295 because we own more than 1 week?

We own a Platinum Manor Club. Paid too much for it because they were at the end of selling the property. Maintenance fees are $1697. It's the lowest value for the m/f but much better to keep than to sell. Like your Grande Vista we wouldn't get much. As an exchange it's a bonus. With the '22 week we got a 2 bedroom unit at Canyon Villas in November for the studio. Phoenix is beautiful in November. Rentals at Canyon Villas in November are running $2450-$3000. Canyon Villas maintenance fees run $1848. The Manor Club Master portion traded into Grande Ocean for Easter '23. We also own Grande Ocean. That maintenance fee alone is $1778. Grande Ocean Easter rents roughly $3000-3500.

At times I've turned it in for points. The maintenance fee is so high and point value low but the cost per point is comparable to the maintenance fee of pure points, $.70. If I don't have enough points I can combine this with points rented from other owners. I've used the points to make reservations that are considerably lower than renting the same weeks on Redweek.

The money to purchase the Manor Club week is long gone. Selling it wouldn't recover a bad purchase, rather it would be a waste. Getting into the MVC system with an enrolled or enrollable week today is very costly.

A Grande Vista week has more value. According to the maintenance fee thread yours is $1583. Potentially you can have 2 weeks for $1583.

Yes club dues depends on how much you own.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Indiana, we have family in the panhandle so my mom would like to get there at some point. She also likes AZ. If my husband and I are using it we are much more likely to travel to about anywhere. We’d like to make a trip out to CA (kid free soon).

Generally anywhere warm from November to April to escape the cold is where we generally look.

You mentioned vacationing with your mother. It would be lovely if you could plan 2 rooms at the same time in a resort you’d both like to go.

Trading into Ocean Pointe through II could get you a 1 bedroom and a studio.

I just used a studio to see what’s in II for November at Grande Ocean on Hilton Head. There were several for the last week of November. 2 bedroom units for the price of a studio with an upcharge. Just like Florida in December, January and February the weather could be lovely or it could be off. Weather’s never a guarantee.

The Palm Springs properties in California are another thought. We’ve been in October and November. Lovely.