• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista vs Disney - need to add a night

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Staying 8 nights at Grande Vista in October. Need to add an extra night to the beginning of our reservation. Does anyone know of any other discounts other than MOD or AAA? Do rates ever decrease closer to check-in?

We are 4 people (2 adults and 7 year old twins). We are staying in a dedicated 2 bedroom. Would it be crazy to stay in a studio for the 1st night? (The 2 bedroom is over $100 more.) On check out will Marriott allow us to store our luggage with bell services until the 2 bedroom is available for check in?

Another thought that I had was to check out the new Disney resort Art of Animation the 1st night. The Little Mermaid rooms (regular value rooms) are opening a month before we arrive. I can take Magic Express w/ kids (and Disney gets your luggage and delivers to room) and husband gets the rental car. We can check into the Grande Vista the next day for the week. Art of Animation is the new value resort across from Pop Century with a lot of family suites, but also have regular rooms. Grand opening is end of May. Rooms have 2 double beds and are 280 square feet with fridge and wifi included. Would get 2 days of Disney parking included. Disney room is $25 less, but it is a value resort. I could never spend a week there, but perhaps one night to give the kids some Disney Magic.

On the other hand, maybe it is not worth the aggravation changing resorts and perhaps even rooms!

THANK YOU! Any thoughts greatly appreciated! I get a bit OCD about vacation planning, especially when it involves a vacation for my kids! :confused:

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
My children would never let me hear the end of it, if I teased them with onsite first and then moved them offsite. One year I started our vacation off at AKV concierge level for two nights to do the special safari and then moved to a regular room. My poor kids...

Anyway, some potential benefits to staying in that night at GV in a studio. Aren't the studios part of the 2brsecond lock offs, maybe they would change you to a lock off? And then open the rest of the room when the 2br portion started? Or just give you a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom the first night? Or at worse, allow you to stay in the studio until the new room was ready? If you had to completely move out, then at least you could have bell services come and get the stuff instead of reloading the car.

Just some things to think about.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about renting points or a reservation from someone who has excess DC points. If its a sunday-Thursday night your looking for, the two bedrooms are very inexpensive point wise. You should be able to have Marriott link the reservations so that you don't have to move rooms.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One night in a studio will be fine. You get a king bed and a sleep sofa. It may also benefit you in that they may push to have your 2BR unit ready early.

I would also suggest that you look at the Spring Hill Suites right up the street at Sea World or even the Marriotts at Little Lake Bryan.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you thought about renting points or a reservation from someone who has excess DC points. If its a sunday-Thursday night your looking for, the two bedrooms are very inexpensive point wise. You should be able to have Marriott link the reservations so that you don't have to move rooms.

How would I inquire about renting points? Is there an area to post this? Thanks! It would be a Saturday reservation.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids really like staying onsite also. We stayed at Orange Lake CC a few times before we started staying onsite. They prefer to be in a hotel room onsite since we are rarely in the room any way. We stayed at Pop Century with free dinning for 7 nights. They did not mind it at all.

To rent DVC points, first use the DVC calculator at http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.cfm to find out how many points you need. Each point costs $10 to $13. If you like the cost, go on sightings forum and ask DVC members to check available for you. You should be able to find a renter if the room you want is available.

If you plan on spending more than 4 days at Disney, an extra day ticket would not cost too much more. It would be fun to try a Disney resort for a day.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! I checked out the ink above. How do I look up how many points I need, as I am a weeks owner, not points owner. Looking for Sat 10/13/12. Thank you!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Found it on www.My-vacationclub.com. I would need 625 points for 2 bedroom. Big difference from 250 points Sun-Thurs! Guess I should have picked Sat-Sat and left the extra night as the last night! Live and learn! Thanks!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We are 4 people (2 adults and 7 year old twins). We are staying in a dedicated 2 bedroom. Would it be crazy to stay in a studio for the 1st night? (The 2 bedroom is over $100 more.) On check out will Marriott allow us to store our luggage with bell services until the 2 bedroom is available for check in?

A studio should be just fine for one night. We had 3 adults spend a week in a studio. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't a problem, either.

You don't have to worry about storing your luggage. Marriott will let you stay in the studio until your 2BR villa is ready. Then they'll send someone over to move you. They will also try to accommodate you so that you may not need to move. Like mentioned above, it may be possible that the 1BR part of a 2BR lockoff may just get attached to your studio, giving you a 2BR villa. They offered to do something similar for us (letting us keep the 2BR part of a 3BR villa when we went from a 3BR to a 2BR). We declined 'cuz we wanted a 2BR with the lockoff so they let us stay where we were until the 2BR was ready, then they sent a bellhop to move us.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
If it were me, I would just go for the studio for one night at Grande Vista. It will be easier to just load up a cart or have a bellman help with that and move your stuff than to have to load up the car and change resorts. I would probably even splurge with the extra $100 and get the full 2BR and then you shouldn't have to move at all. Just keep checking the rates and if they drop outside of the cancellation window, rebook the lower rate and cancel the old reservation.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
I second the booking a studio but keeping an eye on prices and see if the larger units come down in price.
Marriott will not make you leave your room until the next is ready and if you call in advance they can connect the reservations and probably let you stay in the same room and just open it up to the full 2 bed ( if you have a lock off 2bed)

I

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
As much as I love WDW and DVC, I would stay at GV in the studio for ease. You'll be fine for 1 night. The other option is to stay at the Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn @ SW or the Residence Inn @ SW--they are all right around the corner from GV. Sometimes, you can get a really good rate at these. My kids would continue to want to be back at the WDW resort.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Found it on www.My-vacationclub.com. I would need 625 points for 2 bedroom. Big difference from 250 points Sun-Thurs! Guess I should have picked Sat-Sat and left the extra night as the last night! Live and learn! Thanks!

It would be 275 points to rent a studio for the night.