• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista v BeachPlace Towers and Gold v Platinum

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Can you clarify what you mean by “pick up the extra 1 BR deposit”. This is for a 2 BR that you prefer over 3 BR? I prefer the 2 BR just to keep MFs lower but if there’s another advantage like being able to reserve earlier then even better.
The suggestion was to purchase two 2 BR's rather than one 3BR.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
That’s the beauty of BPT. I feel like either side would have an incredible view. Most people probably want oceanfront but i would prefer Intercostal because then you get the sunsets
Don't forget about the stunning views of the Fort Lauderdale skyline at night....plus watching the $million yachts passing the beautiful mansions along the Intracoastal every day...We choose Intracoastal every year.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Grande Vista has two codes; MGV and MGR

I believe one of those codes mean that those units are members of the Florida Club. The other code means they are not.

Your best bet is to contact Marriott Owner Services and ask them which code is a member of the Florida Club. You could call the Resort however I wouldn't expect them to have the answer for you.

I think it’s MGR that are in Florida Club according to this document. Credit goes to Jeremy from Destination Timeshare who I found on YouTube.

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
T,

Dean is referring to 2 units that are 2 bedrooms vs 1 unit that is a 3 bedroom.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by “pick up the extra 1 BR deposit”. This is for a 2 BR that you prefer over 3 BR? I prefer the 2 BR just to keep MFs lower but if there’s another advantage like being able to reserve earlier then even better.
As others have stated, I was talking about two 2BR over one 3 BR. That assumes that the volume is reasonable to have 3 or 4 deposits a year. You would have 2 closings instead of one but the price for the 2 would be comparable to one for then 3 BR. As I referenced, you'd be able to reserve the 2 units concurrently or consecutively at 13 months out instead of 12 subject to availability. And for the FC, you'd be able to reserve at 7 months out instead of 6. The thoughts don't change no matter how you elect to deposit other than if you want them all to be smaller deposits of studios and 1 BR, it guarantee the options at GV and in using the FC (subject to availability). If I were going to look at a 3 BR, I'd look at LV as a comparison since the smaller side there trades as a 1 BR rather than a studio. But sometimes the "right" deal comes along that sort of makes these decisions for you.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Florida Club is a nice option, while recognize that any FC exchange must have availability at 6 months (7 months for multiple consecutive/concurrent weeks) AND must be within the season you purchased at your main resort. So, if you purchase MGV Platinum, your FC exchange must be into the same Plat season for the Plat season dates of the resort you want to exchange into. Not all Platinum seasons across FC properties have the same date windows. They are actually quite different. So, pay attention to that.

We have used FC a few times. If you have flexibility, it can be of value if you don't have an II account. If you have an II account, FC really provides limited value. The risk with FC is that very frequently during high demand travel periods....there is no availability left at 6 months out when you can reserve FC. Low likelihood of getting Ocean Point in Plat season with a FC exchange, as an example , given that inventory goes fast even at the 12/13 month mark.

Grande Vista and Beachplace are very different properties. Both have very different vibes. MGV is large, family oriented, in Orlando (theme parks, etc), has golf, etc. MGV has no deeded 'views'. Beachplace is an urban beachfront high rise, with nice beaches and restaurants within walking distance, a very small pool area, small resort footprint, etc. It can be a spring break location for high school and college students, so be aware. Beachplace assigns Ocean vs Intracoastal views at check-in, but neither is deeded. Personally, we had had both views and enjoy each for different reasons. If you want a non-urban FC resort at the beach, look into Ocean Pointe. It's one of my favorites, but will cost more to purchase re-sale than Beachplace. Also, a different vibe (non-urban beachfront, quieter, large footprint).

If I were the OP, think about the following.
- Do you want beach or not as primary resort ownership? If beach in FC, select Beachplace or Ocean Pointe (slightly higher cost). If not beach in FC, MGV is a great option.
- Which season? Seems you are leaning Gold, to get away from busy periods like kids 'spring break'. Just pay attention to the Gold seasons for the resort you purchase, but also those in FC you want to exchange into. When using FC, you must remain in the 'season'.
- 2BR vs 3BR. We own MGV 2BRs, and wish they were 3BRs just to allow flexibility when taking extended family, or locking off for more vacation. Renting any MGV villa size is not really worth it. No money to be made. Beachfront properties can rent to cover MFees or more, if you reserved a high demand week in a high demand season. Otherwise, you will struggle to rent.
- Maint Fees. Most FL FC properties are reasonable, while increasing. Of the resorts above, MGV is likely lowest, followed by Beachplace and then OceanPointe at the highest.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
If I were the OP, think about the following.
- Do you want beach or not as primary resort ownership? If beach in FC, select Beachplace or Ocean Pointe (slightly higher cost). If not beach in FC, MGV is a great option.
- Which season? Seems you are leaning Gold, to get away from busy periods like kids 'spring break'. Just pay attention to the Gold seasons for the resort you purchase, but also those in FC you want to exchange into. When using FC, you must remain in the 'season'.
- 2BR vs 3BR. We own MGV 2BRs, and wish they were 3BRs just to allow flexibility when taking extended family, or locking off for more vacation. Renting any MGV villa size is not really worth it. No money to be made. Beachfront properties can rent to cover MFees or more, if you reserved a high demand week in a high demand season. Otherwise, you will struggle to rent.
- Maint Fees. Most FL FC properties are reasonable, while increasing. Of the resorts above, MGV is likely lowest, followed by Beachplace and then OceanPointe at the highest.

This is a really good summary...I own two 2BR lockoff MGV (MGR) gold weeks that I more or less was paid to take, as I got free use in the year I purchased them (I think at like $500-700 including closing). Agree that with an II account, the only reason to use FC would be to switch to an Ocean Pointe high-value summer week and rent it out, as you can usually trade or use getaways into anywhere in Florida during the summer with Interval. I've gone back and forth as to whether to deed these back or give them away and purchase platinum MGV weeks with the eventual goal of enrolling them, but for now standing pat.

Jandk2011

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista Orlando
Beachplace Towers Ft. Lauderdale
I own at BeachPlace and Grand Vista both in the gold season. I found the greatest trading power using the Florida Club to reserve at Ocean Pointe. Ocean Pointe's Gold season is in the summer time and I found it to be the best trader.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I own at BeachPlace and Grand Vista both in the gold season. I found the greatest trading power using the Florida Club to reserve at Ocean Pointe. Ocean Pointe's Gold season is in the summer time and I found it to be the best trader.
I think we had a discussion in another thread about trading power of gold FC weeks, and whether it's better to book and deposit at 13 months with a Grande Vista May week vs. a 7 month July Ocean Pointe week. I might try doing both (well, at 12 and 6 months as I only own two weeks) and compare for reference.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we had a discussion in another thread about trading power of gold FC weeks, and whether it's better to book and deposit at 13 months with a Grande Vista May week vs. a 7 month July Ocean Pointe week. I might try doing both (well, at 12 and 6 months as I only own two weeks) and compare for reference.
I've dug into that issue a fair amount and it appears to hinge on how much and when II reduces trade power based on lead time to deposit which non of us know. Comparing RCI's TPU over the course of the year for Orlando and Palm Beach Shores and II's TPI for each area, it doesn't look like they track as well as they do some of the other locations I've compared. II seems to favor Spring more and RCI fall more as an example.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI A GV 3 BR trades in to OP as a Ocean Front 3 br. A 2 br GV trades into OP as a 2br Ocean View thru the FC. We own a 3 br OP and and bought a 2 br GV to extend out OP vacations and should have bought a 3br.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
FYI A GV 3 BR trades in to OP as a Ocean Front 3 br. A 2 br GV trades into OP as a 2br Ocean View thru the FC. We own a 3 br OP and and bought a 2 br GV to extend out OP vacations and should have bought a 3br.
That's not what the rep told me in 2019 when I did a book and deposit at Ocean Pointe with my gold 2BR Grande Vista. Problem is inventory, but he told me my 2BR can use FC as an oceanfront at Ocean Pointe if available.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you trade into a 3 BR, you'll get OF as that's all they have. But you are not restricted to OV using a 2 BR (either you own a 2 BR or using the 2 BR L/O of a 3 BR).

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you usually been successful booking OP at the 6-month mark for one of your Gold weeks? Or Are you doing it at 7-month mark since you own 2 properties.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you usually been successful booking OP at the 6-month mark for one of your Gold weeks? Or Are you doing it at 7-month mark since you own 2 properties.

If OP is your preferable place to go to then I recommend you make your initial purchase at OP. You can make a firm reservation at 12 months out, and if the time you hit the six month mark you decide you rather go to MGR or MBP then you can cancel your MPB and reserve at one of the other Florida Club member resorts instead.

In the long run you likely will be far happier (even though the initial purchase price may be higher).